• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mr. Ski Diva's Book, MARLEY, Comes Out In Paperback Nov. 3!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Tuesday is Election Day, a big day by any standard. But it's also the day that the paperback edition of Mr. Ski Diva's latest book, MARLEY, comes out.

MARLEY is the reimagining of Dickens’s classic A CHRISTMAS CAROL, exploring the relationship between Ebenezer Scrooge and Jacob Marley. Yes, it's a bit dark, but it's also engaging and entertaining, with a bit of humor thrown in, too. When it came out in hardback last November, Simon Callow, who reviewed it in the NY Times Sunday Book Review, said, "By some uncanny act of artistic appropriation, [Clinch] has, without imitating Dickens, entered into the phantasmagoric realm that is the great novelist's quintessential territory. . . Startling and creative. . . Remarkable. . . Masterly."

The paperback has a different cover than the hardbound, and I think it's terrific:

122855107_10158604706475446_7998329319440901631_n.jpg

So give yourself something else to think about on Election Day. You can get it at your favorite bookseller on November 3, or you can order it online now.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
I may have to buy one. Wendy makes fun of me when I say this, but my grand-doggie chewed up my hardcover copy. ("Some excuse. 'The dog ate her homework!'") It was a bit slobbery at the time, so I stopped reading it, and I haven't picked it up again. Maybe a paperback will help!

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Tuesday is Election Day, a big day by any measure. But it's also the day that the paperback edition of Mr. Ski Diva's latest book, MARLEY, comes out.

MARLEY is the reimagining of Dickens’s classic A CHRISTMAS CAROL, exploring the relationship between Ebenezer Scrooge and Jacob Marley. Yes, it's a bit dark, but it's also engaging and entertaining, with a bit of humor thrown in, too. When it came out in hardback last November, Simon Callow, who reviewied it in the NY Times Sunday Book Review, said, "By some uncanny act of artistic appropriation, [Clinch] has, without imitating Dickens, entered into the phantasmagoric realm that is the great novelist's quintessential territory. . . Startling and creative. . . Remarkable. . . Masterly."

The paperback has a different cover than the hardbound, and I think it's terrific:

View attachment 14013

So give yourself something else to think about on Election Day. You can get it at your favorite bookseller on November 3, or you can order it online now.

I decided to just wholly take Tuesday off work because I'm definitely not going to manage to be productive at all, so maybe this is what I do instead!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I may have to buy one. Wendy makes fun of me when I say this, but my grand-doggie chewed up my hardcover copy. ("Some excuse. 'The dog ate her homework!'") It was a bit slobbery at the time, so I stopped reading it, and I haven't picked it up again. Maybe a paperback will help!

So you haven’t finished it yet?! I read it the first day I got it last year. Loved it! I also had the benefit of the author explaining how to read the book based on my not ‘getting’ an earlier one of his! I admitted this much to the horror of @ski diva as we all rode up the chair! And the explanation sent me back to read the earlier book first. I thought it was great once I had a glimmer what I was looking at! Sometimes the mind needs a little direction to find the path!

newboots

Angel Diva
I have been absolutely stunned by Finn and Kings of the Earth. Incredibly impressed. But taking on one of Jon’s books really feels like an occasion. Not a commitment, exactly, but entering a place where you know you are going to be changed, and before the change you’ll be shocked, scared, relieved, horrified, — I’m making it sound terrible. It’s not. But this is not fluff. Not a beach read. These books are intense works of art. I don’t pick one up idly.

Sorry if I sound like a sycophant.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been absolutely stunned by Finn and Kings of the Earth. Incredibly impressed. But taking on one of Jon’s books really feels like an occasion. Not a commitment, exactly, but entering a place where you know you are going to be changed, and before the change you’ll be shocked, scared, relieved, horrified, — I’m making it sound terrible. It’s not. But this is not fluff. Not a beach read. These books are intense works of art. I don’t pick one up idly.

Sorry if I sound like a sycophant.

No, but you did verbally run through a lot of emotions there!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh wow. I'm a huge Dickens fan and I had to order immediately on Amazon -- I just finished a Tana French book last night and I'll be starting Marley tonight! I really enjoy the creative effort involved in imagining secondary characters in their own stories - it may have begun w/Grendel and Mary Reilly.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Oh wow. I'm a huge Dickens fan and I had to order immediately on Amazon -- I just finished a Tana French book last night and I'll be starting Marley tonight! I really enjoy the creative effort involved in imagining secondary characters in their own stories - it may have begun w/Grendel and Mary Reilly.
What Tana French book?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly