• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mount Southington Ski, March 6, 2019

Tvan

Angel Diva
Mount Southington is a tiny little hill in the center of Connecticut with 14 trails and a vertical drop of 425 feet. It’s dead center in a residential neighborhood...ranch and split level homes surround the hill, and give it a Mrs. Cleaver “here’s your helmet now go play outside on the hill and be home by 5 for dinner” feeling. Definitely “old school” vibe. It’s tiny.

It’s also only 30 minutes from our offices in New Haven, CT, and thus made it the perfect location for an afternoon team-building excursion last week. We issued the invitation to the entire department, and had lots of interest from about 20 skiers. By the time schedules and immovable meetings had been sorted, only 6 of us managed to be able to join.

We arrived just after lunch to find only about five other skiers on the hill, including one adaptive skier and two assistants. Only one lift was running, the triple, and we piled into two chairs to head up. One of our folks had skied the hill before, and we christened him the “cruise director”. He declared that we were skiing every run, so we started with greens and worked our way through all 14 trails to the lone black run. With such a small vertical drop, there is nothing steep or intimidating on the hill, and our mixed ability group had no problem navigating, even through the half pipe and terrain park runs.

Conditions ranged from packed almost-powder to ice, but with such short runs, we were able to either go around or quickly over the dodgy parts. At 3, they started a second lift, which gave us easier access to the more advanced terrain. In two hours we had skied every run twice, and folks were starting to get cold, so we called it and headed home.

Overall, this was a great team experience. We made sure to ride lifts with people we don’t normally work with, and we skied together as a group all afternoon. Our “cruise director”, who is not usually in a lead role at work, got a chance to show his leadership skills, and we all benefitted from his knowledge. We texted photos back to those who were not able to join, and everyone agreed that we need to do this again when more can join us.

Mount Southington is not hill that I would drive to for my normal weekend skiing, when I have other local options with more vertical drop and more runs, but it’s an excellent feeder hill for beginners, and a unique backyard option for local families. It was also the perfect place for an inaugural company ski outing.

Here’s the team, working on our SMART goals for the year:

48E7DC82-CEC1-4BDA-9BDB-8AFA96F2C2F1.jpeg

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I grew up right next door, in Meriden. The last time I skied Mt. Southington was maybe... 2000? Glad to see they’re still hanging in there! It’s a great local spot.

knolan12

Angel Diva
I love this! I grew up in Wallingford and over winter break from college, I'd go ski in the morning at Mt. Southington before I had to be at work in the afternoon. Super affordable for a 4 hour pass and convenient when I just wanted to be outside. I haven't been in probably about 7 years, but I'm to hear it's still a great place!

heatherrrrz

Certified Ski Diva
My sister who I took lessons with, skiied Mt. Southington a couple weeks ago. I took a drive by on my way to Southington to see my friend and it's super tiny, but looks like a ton of fun just for a day and it's close to us in East Haven. I do have to ski it to see if I like it over Powder Ridge for a small hill versus a small hill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna