• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mount Rose, NV with a new skier

Amie H

Angel Diva
Just got back from a trip to Reno/Tahoe and I finally got to ski! (Trip there at the end of Nov 2021, there was no snow.) Although, unlike my other trips this season, I was limited in the time and space I had to ski, as I was responsible for a newbie on the mountain.

My daughter is a senior in college and this was her Spring Break. She took her 1st lesson locally (Wilmot) in January. For this trip I purchased the 2-day "Flight plan" for her at Mount Rose: Two days of 2-hour lessons, rental equipment, beginner area lift ticket for $175. I thought that was a good deal. Because we filled everything out online, even though it was busy on Sunday, we got her equipment & fitted for boots rather quickly because they had a nicely organized system.
Her first day, the students went to various stations around the bunny hill/magic carpet to work on different skills.
It was really crowded up top Sunday, (very long lift line to get up there) so I did one run up there, and then stayed in the Wizard & Galena chair area (beginner area with maybe 1 blue run) because it was much less crowded and I could ski right on the lifts. I hoped my daughter might like to try a run or two with me after her lesson. It is a super area for the novice skier: uncrowded, easy lifts, and lots of wide runs and open sight lines.

After her lesson, she said she really enjoyed it, but was wiped out and wanted lunch. The night before, we got shorted sleep because our flight was about 90 minutes late so we got into our room after midnight. We headed back into Reno and got lunch at a ski-themed brewpub called Schussboom. Delicious grub! Then back to hotel to clean up, and then out for shopping/exploring midtown Reno.

Day two, I knew something was up. She was complaining in the car, and I suspected she was getting nervous. Long story short, after her first run she quit the lesson and had a minor meltdown at the lodge. I, on the other hand, ventured up top (empty on Monday morning!) I was determined to do the Ramses run so I could see Lake Tahoe! It was a short black run, although the snow was hardpack with some dust, so there may have been more skidding and less skiing on my part. :becky: Right before I ventured down that way, and intended to do some other more advanced stuff than the day before, my phone rang. It was my daughter, in tears. So...I had an un-fun run down to mountain back to the lodge to see what was going on with her. After a long chat, I suggested we ride the magic carpet together and see how she felt doing the bunny hill with me. She did well! So we ended up skiing together in the expansive beginner area for a few hours. She did GREAT and even unprompted said things like, "This is so much fun!" and "This kicks a$$!" So I felt good that she was genuinely enjoying herself, and she felt comfortable and safe with me as her coach. She already learned good posture from her first two lessons. I'm hopeful that she'll try again to get some practice- if there is still snow in ski areas near her school.

Amie H

Angel Diva
One post script: after retrieving our bags (including my Sportube) we slogged to the elevator to take us to the garage where my husband was picking us up. A woman (a bit older than me) jumped in the elevator with us and said,"What is in that orange thing?"

"Skis," I replied.

"Like cross country or?"

"No," I answered. "Alpine."

Then she hit me with, "Skis? They look so SHORT."

I was growling internally, but through clenched teeth replied, "These are shaped skis and are the appropriate size for my height. You're probably thinking of the long thin skis from the olden days."

Yeah, I can dig back. :wink:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna