• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Motion Sickness Remedies?

MissySki

Angel Diva
When I was younger, I LOVED rollercoasters. However, as I’ve gotten older I sadly have developed more and more motion sickness when going on rides at amusement parks. It used to be that I just couldn’t do spinning rides, but now it’s also really intense rollercoasters and any that go backwards as well. Does anyone have any tips for overcoming this? I’m potentially going to Six Flags in a few weeks and I really don’t want to be the one not going on rides, but I also don’t want to feel like crap for the day either. Does Dramamine help if you take it beforehand? I dislike this idea as well since it makes me really sleepy, but it’s all I can think to try.. would love some more options if anyone has any tips or tricks to try out!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try Meclizine. It's available over the counter. I use it for occasional vertigo, and have not experienced any side-effects at all. It works to block the rotten feelings of vertigo for me. IU take it with me on trips in case I need it, since it is cheap and so effective and the nausea and dizziness are horrid if not treated. I have no idea if it will help on a roller coaster. When I was a kid I loved that sort of ride, but I too now experience nausea from carnival rides. It even happens to me sometimes on a swing.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'm in a similar boat that I've never really enjoyed spinning rides, and last time I went to Six Flags (a few years ago) I ended up not enjoying the rollercoasters due to motion sickness. No idea if it'll work...but you could try Sea Bands...they're an acupuncture wrist band that is supposed to relieve motion sickness. I've seen people use them on ferry's and boats.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had great success with Bonine preventing seasickness on whale watches. If you use too much it will make you really sleepy, but it doesn't give you medicine-head when properly dosed. I have the same problem with amusement rides. When I was younger, I was all about the roller coasters, but now they make me super dizzy. From what I've read, your inner ear definitely changes as you age, so this challenge isn't uncommon. I haven't tried Bonine for anything as quick and acute as a roller coaster, so let us know if you have any luck!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Try Meclizine. It's available over the counter. I use it for occasional vertigo, and have not experienced any side-effects at all. It works to block the rotten feelings of vertigo for me. IU take it with me on trips in case I need it, since it is cheap and so effective and the nausea and dizziness are horrid if not treated. I have no idea if it will help on a roller coaster. When I was a kid I loved that sort of ride, but I too now experience nausea from carnival rides. It even happens to me sometimes on a swing.

Thanks, definitely worth a try especially if it doesn’t put me to sleep like dramamine does! Um yeah, the backwards part on rollercoasters thing I mentioned? Same with the backwards part of a swing sometimes now too! Glad I’m not the only one, I was so disappointed by this last fall when I hopped on a swing at an apple festival.. I love swings! It wasn’t too bad, just mildly queasiness inducing and went away quickly, but I was like you have got to be kidding me..

I'm in a similar boat that I've never really enjoyed spinning rides, and last time I went to Six Flags (a few years ago) I ended up not enjoying the rollercoasters due to motion sickness. No idea if it'll work...but you could try Sea Bands...they're an acupuncture wrist band that is supposed to relieve motion sickness. I've seen people use them on ferry's and boats.

Sorry to hear you have a similar issue! What’s really annoying is that my mom can still do all of the rollercoasters we used to ride together when I was younger, no problems. I guess if it’s any part genetic I didn’t get it from her.

Good idea, I’d definitely give the bracelet a shot! Might as well since it’s not adding more drugs to the mix.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the same problem. When my daughters were younger and we would take them to amusement parks, Bonine did the trick for me. I even managed the Teacups which I couldn't do when in my teens.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I have always suffered from motion sickness, finding out from a young age I do not like rollercoasters at all. I also cannot read in a moving vehicle, or look out a glass elevator. I’d get sea sick on ships smaller than an average size cruise ship. I used to take dramimine when I had to fly and it got me sleepy. Then some years ago on a cruise ship I discovered sea bands. I was skeptical at first but they actually work for me. I’ve used them since on flights and cruises. I find they are best when put on at least 30 minutes before a flight, and the button position on the wrist is important. I’ve never tried them on rollercoasters and the like, and have no desire to, but so far they’ve been effective in turbulent weather and mildly rough seas.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@MissySki, I agree with the recommendation of meclizine. (Bonine actually IS meclizine, BTW.) I have had inner ear issues for years. It works. Check bigger drug stores, even Walmart.

As to rides, I'm a thrill ride fanatic, but not the spinning stuff. If you are going to Six Flags New England, do NOT do Harley Quinn Spinsanity. OMG, my son and I did that ride last year, and our day was essentially OVER after that ride. (And he does NOT have inner ear issues.)

Sounds like you are having problems (from the swing description) with negative g's, versus positive or lateral g's. Superman and Wicked Cyclone, even Joker, shouldn't bother you too much (I'm not a fan of the other coaster/coaster-like rides, too head-banging/jarring.)

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Meclizine is a really good fairly benign option. I have raced sailboats for a long time and once I am out in open water I am in trouble! A combination of meclizine and Zofran, given to chemo patients for nausea, is OK if I’m above decks. The only other thing that helps me is the scopolamine patch which has about a zillion weird side effects! If I were doubling down on it, for your situation, I would go with Bonine and the pressure bands in the drugstore for nausea.

I can tell you the electronic wristbands have worked for various friends of mine. Not me, of course! I just get shocked harder as I hang over the rail of a sailboat and get sick! But it has worked for friends and has also worked for morning sickness moms. So another, more expensive, option.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you do! I avoid drugs, obviously! :becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly