• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Most Hyped Ski You've Hated

Divegirl

Angel Diva
A couple years ago when the Hells Belles and Wild Belles came out and were very popular, I had a chance to demo them. I never had skis on that I could not wait to get off my feet. Hated them, I think they hated me, too. Just never got comfortable or in sync w/ them. I think they were too light. I also do not like the new K2 Luv line for similar reasons.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demoed Volkl Yumis and thought I would love them based on some others here with a similar profile, and just "meh." Felt kind of noodly.

@Divegirl I rented Hells Belles a couple years ago for a crazy amount of East Coast crud and spring slush, and was surprised how much I liked them. Different strokes, right?

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I understand this completely. I didn't like the Black Pearls at all when I tried them, though they got a lot of love from a lot of ladies on this forum -- and elsewhere, too. And that's fine -- as they say, different strokes for different folks. But it makes me wonder: what's wrong with me?

I Demo'd the Black Pearl on a 8" of fresh day and they got the job done but they had no play- no fun factor. The Samba's were a little more fun and definitely better when the inevitable crud conditions appeared. Precision isn't my thing probably but I do like to have some response from the ski. I ended up buying some super cheap K2 Remedy 92s that I pretty much just use for powder and soft days. Not perfect either but seemed harmless.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my Black Pearls. I thought DD would like them but she felt like they were trying to take over. I hated the Volkl Auras when I tried them, I felt like they were too stiff and too hard to control.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are so many skis I thought I would like after reading about others loving them or reading info about them but the biggest surprise a few years ago was the Volkl Kiku. I expected them to be the perfect west coast powder/all mountain ski but I disliked them after demoing them twice! After lots of demos I realized that I need a small sidecut radius to like a ski and those are rarely the hyped ones here.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After lots of demos I realized that I need a small sidecut radius to like a ski and those are rarely the hyped ones here.

Interesting. I've definitely found I like a smaller radius and sidewall construction. I had the Kiku and also didn't love it except on groomers, which was kind of not the point. I had thought they were too stiff, but now that you mention it, it might have been radius. Or both. If I were looking at that ski today, I would be pretty suspicious because of the turn radius. I bought them without demoing because so many people loved them.

3VSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With limited opportunities to demo I've bought my skis on the basis of what's been discussed on these threads - first skis were volkl Tierra's for the first few years of learning to ski though they required constant concentration to remain upright - I then bought the blizzard black pearls a few years ago and they are so much easier to ski (though my technique may have improved a bit) - I still love the black pearls but can't seem to find the same fondness for the Tierras

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
I love my Black Pearls. I thought DD would like them but she felt like they were trying to take over.
My daughter and I are the opposite. She LOVES the BPs and recommended them to me because they "carved themselves". I like to carve my own skis, thank you.

lbjpiano

Diva in Training
Black Pearl. After reading reviews on this ski, I was so disappointed while skiing them. I had to be so forward on them - too much work for me.

mustski

Angel Diva
For me it was K2 - so long ago that I don't remember the model (1992 or so). I have nver found a K2 I liked since then. However, I stopped demoing them after the Luv series.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also demoed one of the K2 Luvs in 2012 (Lotta Luv?). I was looking for a ski that I could ski in chopped up fresh snow and crud. Felt like I had no control with that one. I ended up with my Nordica Conquers, which I demoed and loved, and bought right from the demo shop at Squaw (great deal).

downhill&uphill

Diva in Training
Oh man, I skied on the ~2008 K2 Lotta Luv for several years (given to me for free) and hated them so much. Quads burning, felt sometimes out of control, and no fun. Funny because I remember them being "the ski" everyone had for a bit (at least where I ski).

Recently demoed the BPs and did not click with them. It was a hardpack/icy day and I kept on thinking they were going to slide out from under me which was very disconcerting. Like many others, I thought they sounded ideal from reviews. So glad I tried instead of just buying them. From reading forums and talking to people, they work very well for many but are not a great ski to buy without demoing first.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Santa anas. Felt like they wanted to do their own thing, so I applied more power. Then they would suddenly cry uncle when I tried to drive hard. Could have been the wrong size and wrong conditions though. After all, it was demo day at ski round top in the rain.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Santa anas. Felt like they wanted to do their own thing, so I applied more power. Then they would suddenly cry uncle when I tried to drive hard. Could have been the wrong size and wrong conditions though. After all, it was demo day at ski round top in the rain.
Which Santa Ana?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Ditto for me..they didn't get away from me but I felt I over powered them and they just didn't do it for me. I tried the 2018 also a 93 I like (could go pull my notes) I demo'd last Feb. Piles of snow & slickery in between..

I should put a disclaimer.. Volkl's (sorry gals) just don't do it for me. but I keep trying them!

2018 Blizzard Black Pearls 88's were way more fun in the conditions I demoed in.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto for me..they didn't get away from me but I felt I over powered them and they just didn't do it for me. I tried the 2018 also a 93 I like (could go pull my notes) I demo'd last Feb. Piles of snow & slickery in between..

I should put a disclaimer.. Volkl's (sorry gals) just don't do it for me. but I keep trying them!

2018 Blizzard Black Pearls 88's were way more fun in the conditions I demoed in.
I guess we are the outliers. I felt like I threw a molotov saying I didn't like them, as most people instantly love them!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna