• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Most Hyped Ski You've Hated

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't say I hate any skis, but the most hyped ski that I really never warmed up to was the Volkl Aura. I had the first generation version which I liked until I learned how to make a real turn, then I realized I couldn't bend it, so I sold it and never looked back. Every time I take the Aura out for a test run, (no matter the version) its okay but I prefer something I can bend.
Rossignol Temptation line is in that category as well. They make a nice ski but its pretty burly.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Didn't hate the Black Pearl, but didn't love it, either. Totally hated the Head Joy series, and strangely the Volkl 100Eight. Also hated the Volkl Katana V-Werks, but didn't really love the standard version, either.

RuthB

Angel Diva
Nordica Enforcer (to be fair, it seems no one really likes the Enforcer in a 169 length, the longer lengths seem to be hits)

Same here - could not feel the love for the enforcers. Similarly the head great joy and I just didn't have that special connection.

But why do I feel blasphemous when I say that I don't like a hyped ski? To the point where I hesitate to post an opinion on a ski anymore.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Hate is a strong word for my feelings on any ski. If I'm skiing, I'm happy, regardless of whats on my feet.

I experienced a deep dislike for the Black Pearl though. Tried them twice and just something was off about them. Although, I wouldn't mind some to play with the mounting point on them.

The Savory 7 left me wanting a lot more from it, just didn't have any wow factor for me. I'm also in the boat of not being able to properly bend the Aura, so not a fan there either.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Black Pearls. I wanted to love them SO much.

That being said, I do wonder if demo bindings were just set funny because I love my Cheyennes...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But why do I feel blasphemous when I say that I don't like a hyped ski? To the point where I hesitate to post an opinion on a ski anymore.
I like it's just different strokes for different folks. Could be external factors....snow, tune, etc. This thread is as interesting as its counterpart (Most Liked/Least Hyped), if not more so.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The skis on this thread make me think that there have been a lot of ladies who skied a hyped ski, didn't care for it, and didn't post about the fact that they didn't care for it.

I can't say I blame them, but there might have been less hype if someone had posted, "Eh, it didn't really do it for me" in the midst of the hype.

Also, I've been thinking about a hype situation. There was a time when there was a lot of hype for the ... Lotta Luv, I think it was. I bought it. Thought I loved it. You can tell yourself a lot when you just bought a ski at full MSRP. But after 5 or 6 days ... I realized I didn't like it as much as I thought. To be fair, I did that to myself with the Sick Day 110, and I generated that hype all by myself in my own head with no help.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hated the Rossi S-7.. Hated the tip flap 2 runs and I wanted them off my feet I was told I had to 'ski sloppy' to like them. Not..
I have disliked several Volkls (sorry gals) and a pair of Elans way back when shaped skis started, my ski shop sent them to the Mt for me to try.. they had NO Speed.

maddy13

Certified Ski Diva
The S3s and Savory 7s. Just did not feel confident at all in the steeps and crud. The tips felt like they were clapping up and down over the chop, and would catch on things. I owned the s3s and demoed the Savory 7s, and was so frustrated with both.

I'm petite, and for no good reason, everything Volkl just works for me. Strapped on Kikus after the Savory 7s, and everything clicked.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The S3s and Savory 7s. Just did not feel confident at all in the steeps and crud. The tips felt like they were clapping up and down over the chop, and would catch on things. I owned the s3s and demoed the Savory 7s, and was so frustrated with both.

I'm petite, and for no good reason, everything Volkl just works for me. Strapped on Kikus after the Savory 7s, and everything clicked.
I echo what you say completely. It's just so funny, you just never know what ski a person might love!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

I understand this completely. I didn't like the Black Pearls at all when I tried them, though they got a lot of love from a lot of ladies on this forum -- and elsewhere, too. And that's fine -- as they say, different strokes for different folks. But it makes me wonder: what's wrong with me?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I understand this completely. I didn't like the Black Pearls at all when I tried them, though they got a lot of love from a lot of ladies on this forum -- and elsewhere, too. And that's fine -- as they say, different strokes for different folks. But it makes me wonder: what's wrong with me?
Well, clearly you are not alone, at least on this forum! I will say with the BPs, it took me about 3 long runs at Mammoth to figure them out. I didn't absolutely hate them, they just required a more forward stance. Once I figured them out, I found them to be fun and lively and maneuverable. Since then, I've found as I've progressed I appreciate a ski that is a little stiffer with (at least for groomers) less rocker. Hence the Kenja love I now have.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with you!!!

I love my Black Pearls...I am convinced they have made me a better skier, but I can totally understand why some would not like the ski. They are so much fun on fresh snow, in bowls, handle very well on bumps, chop, crud and nicely groomed runs, but they are not a precision carver and icy, scraped off terrain is not their specialty.

I did have them extra sharpened last year and that made a huge difference on the hard pack.

I am also quite spoiled in the fact that we have a condo in Summit County, one in Winter Park and my mom has a home in Steamboat...so, we schedule our skiing around ideal conditions.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think I ever hated a ski, but I was left fairly indifferent by Black Pearls. They are not bad, but not all that great either. I only ever truly enjoyed them in moguls, I think they have a good sidecut and optimal stiffness/softness. Elsewhere they are just an average ski.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Could not wait to get off the Head Joy frontside skis despite trying multiple lengths etc.- however I did not try the Big or Great.

Dislike:
Plastic feeling skis, includes some 'popular' Line and Armada. Skis that are a one trick pony aka older Volkl Aura.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I figured out last season that all the skis that *really* clicked for me were sidewall construction, not cap. Knowing that helps me figure out where to focus my interest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna