• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

More whining from Newboots

newboots

Angel Diva
I fell on Bittersweet at Killington yesterday. During the fall I felt very mild knee-twisting pain. Got up, skied, felt fine, skied some more.

My knee started to hurt a LITTLE yesterday, hurts more today, mostly going down stairs. Minor swelling and a small bruise but no tenderness to touch.

I know I’ll have to call the sports medicine guy when I get home unless it gets better quickly. In the meantime, I plan to keep walking and hope!

Note: I know none of you can diagnose this, but one worries so much about knee pain, so feel free to comment!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I fell on Bittersweet at Killington yesterday. During the fall I felt very mild knee-twisting pain. Got up, skied, felt fine, skied some more.

My knee started to hurt a LITTLE yesterday, hurts more today, mostly going down stairs. Minor swelling and a small bruise but no tenderness to touch.

I know I’ll have to call the sports medicine guy when I get home unless it gets better quickly. In the meantime, I plan to keep walking and hope!

Note: I know none of you can diagnose this, but one worries so much about knee pain, so feel free to comment!

The usual start point for such stuff is RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation. And call your guy now, or as soon as you know when you can be there for an appointment. If you wait until you get to NY you've delayed how soon you can get in. Do you still have a relationship with anyone in VT while you are there?

newboots

Angel Diva
. If you wait until you get to NY you've delayed how soon you can get in. Do you still have a relationship with anyone in VT while you are there?

Yes, that’s a possibility! I will call both. Thanks!

And I’m ricing right now!

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apply ice no longer than 20-minutes and allow at least 40-minutes to pass before you reapply the ice. Anything longer than 20 minutes can cause reactive vasodilation which counters the intended effect. In my personal experience 20-minutes of ice every 2-3 hours works best.

newboots

Angel Diva
Apply ice no longer than 20-minutes and allow at least 40-minutes to pass before you reapply the ice. Anything longer than 20 minutes can cause reactive vasodilation which counters the intended effect. In my personal experience 20-minutes of ice every 2-3 hours works best.

I have always used 20 minutes/30 minutes. Interesting!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yes, me too! I found reading the works of Dr. Google to be bad for my mood, so I went back to reading about skiing.

A much safer choice! I can relate though, always compelled to try and diagnose myself, family, dog, etc. online when something comes up. It usually only ends up making me more anxious and I'm pretty much never right either.. which is actually a good thing! :doh:.

newboots

Angel Diva
As a patient, I like being able to look things up and learn more about them. As a psychologist who worked with physicians at times, I hated self diagnosis by Google. Inevitably it was (us) semi – hypochondriacs who self diagnosed some dire condition.

We had to devote considerable time to explaining why that was not their diagnosis. It was irritating! Even worse was self diagnosis, followed by self treatment for the wrong disorder. Or diagnosis by familEven worse was self diagnosis, followed by self treatment for the wrong disorder. Or diagnosis by family members!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’d consider adding in some heat too after the first 24hrs. Alternating ice/heat has always worked best for me!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aah, good luck with the knee!! Hopefully everything is fine and it's just a bit angry from the fall. Let us know!

I had a scary fall about 18 months ago where I fell, it hurt, once I started moving I realised I was ok, I got up and skied another two runs, and only once I took my skis off for a break I realised that I couldn't really walk on it at all. :doh: I was sufficiently unnerved to immediately pay a lot of money for the doctor at the ski area med center to look at me and do the manual tests on my knee to check for torn things. It ended up being fine though!! They said it seemed to be a mild LCL sprain and told me to take it easy. Since I couldn't walk but I could ski, I skied cruisy groomers the rest of the day out of sheer idiocy, and then took a week or two off skiing.

Anyway the conclusion here is that we all worry a lot about knee pain so you're in good company :bounce: I could not even wait two days to see my physio back at home, I had to get my fears assuaged RIGHT THEN AND THERE at the ski area!!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, me too! I found reading the works of Dr. Google to be bad for my mood, so I went back to reading about skiing.
Ahaha, when I had a severe ankle injury nearly three years ago now, I did far too much reading for my own good about ankle injuries. 2-3 months later I had an ultrasound scan on the ankle which revealed important ligaments were completely torn, and the ultrasound tech told me NOT to google the results, and just to wait until I saw my physio again. Unfortunately I'd already pre-emptively googled it all so I knew exactly what the results meant and was very upset about it. Serves me right for asking Dr Google at all! :nono:

newboots

Angel Diva
It’s ubiquitous! But I’m glad I stopped. It was quite apparent that I had no way of answering the burning question by myself + Dr. G. So I gave up and was able to think about it much less. RICE helped a LOT. Getting up and going here and there did not.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ahaha, when I had a severe ankle injury nearly three years ago now, I did far too much reading for my own good about ankle injuries. 2-3 months later I had an ultrasound scan on the ankle which revealed important ligaments were completely torn, and the ultrasound tech told me NOT to google the results, and just to wait until I saw my physio again. Unfortunately I'd already pre-emptively googled it all so I knew exactly what the results meant and was very upset about it. Serves me right for asking Dr Google at all! :nono:
Ha! I googled every word I didn’t know on my ankle MRI results. And lots of other stuff, too. Probably read a lot of the same sites you did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna