• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

More ski patrol, less yellow jackets?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious: What do you think of this opinion piece, from Unofficial Networks? To be honest, I'm not exactly sure it's on the level:

Downhill skiing and snowboarding are undoubtedly some of the most privileged sports in the world. Apart from polo, car racing or golf, few other activities are characterized by their wealthy participants as much as skiing. In rural mountain towns with little racial diversity and income disparity, the ongoing civil rights movement feels distant. However with all the turmoil and bigger picture issues ongoing in the world currently, as a die-hard skier that is my easiest lens to view the world through.

It started with a simple thought:

“We need more ski patrollers and less yellow jackets”

Vail Resorts in particular have become infamous for their Mountain Safety department otherwise known as “Yellow Jackets”. The goal of the mountain safety program is to patrol slow or beginning ski areas and essentially torment anyone who doesn’t meet those expectations. Yellow jackets are a group of power hungry, largely incompotent and minorly trained wannabe ski patrollers to put it lightly.

The problem with Mountain Safety regardless of their intentions, is the job creates an incentive to find and punish reckless riders instead of responding to real emergencies. Not too different from law enforcement who deliver speeding tickets or hassle kids for skateboarding when criminals and serious crime run rampant.

Yellow jackets seek out confrontation, they have quotas for guest interaction and even on the slowest of business days they need to find “reckless riders” to punish. Worse yet the Yellow Jackets aren’t trained for sophisticated medical response like a ski patroller and essentially offer a radio call to more trained professionals in serious incidents.

Imagine your cruising down ‘Schoolmarm’ at Keystone Resort, a long meandering Green groomer, the corduroy is ripping and not a soul is in sight. You come over a roller on your snowboard and a yellow jacket quickly peels out to intercept you for ‘going too fast’. You bemoan being hassled as a skier in a Helly Hansen kit and DPS directional skis carries vastly more speed through the exact same spot. This is the problem with the police as much as mountain safety personnel; bias and profiling are commonly exercised in executing the job.

Where is the consistency in harassing advanced riders in mellow terrain but not telling beginners they are over their heads in more advanced terrain? Ask anyone who lives in a tougher neighborhood how police response compares in there area to the suburbs.

So why do we need ski patrollers?

Ski patrollers foster the confidence in resort patrons to explore the mountain without fear of injury, avalanches or other catastrophe.

A ski patroller can still pull your season pass for being a jerk or tell you to tone down your speed but that is not their sole responsibility or goal. Unlike becoming a mountain safety ‘professional’, the education to become a patroller is vastly more involved.

Hell ski patrollers don’t even get paid well. The word passion is often tossed around by those who spend years learning medical skills to make low wages and work hard for us to play on the slopes.

The work performed by ski patrol to mitigate avalanches and provide emergency medical care is the defining line between being inbounds at the ski area and the wildness of the backcountry.

At the end of the day our lift ticket and season passes help fund both ski patrol and mountain safety departments. I’m all in for paying the guy who can save my life, not the overzealous johnny law character.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
That is in very poor taste to say the least. Do not use this political moment to compare what happens on the ski hill to police bias and profiling and the ongoing civil rights protests.

My general impression is that the writer is a 17 y.o. boy.

The grammar, spelling and punctuation! I started to quote the most egregious mistakes, but I have work to get done today. (I won't even start on the sentence structure). Here are some good ones, though.

Imagine your cruising
minorly trained
long meandering Green groomer
‘going too fast’.

I don't ever look at Unofficial Networks unless someone links an article. They don't even have an editor look at a piece before it's published?

mustski

Angel Diva
Aside from the obvious POV issues, I personally appreciate the resorts that have yellow jackets. Safety patrol leaves ski patrol free to handle the emergencies and avalanche mitigation. At crowded resorts, there is a definite need for safety patrol, and I have been waved at to slow down but haven't seen them harassing guests - ever. I was pleased to see the BBMR has added a safety patrol on the weekends. IMO it was much needed.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
As one who gets lost easily at resorts I don't ski regularly, I appreciate having someone to ask directions from or slope advice. Friends who do this job love helping people in such ways and are delightful people!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski patrol can pull passes but they really are busy doing more useful things. I like the idea of having a little more traffic control. Too many of my friends have been hit and it definitely affects my skiing as I get more breakable with age! I look around a lot and weight a lot more than I used to. And I was never fast or aggressive to start with!

Jilly

Staff member
Things are different at different resorts.

Tremblant - ski patrol, red jackets, are first responders, accidents etc. Safety patrol, orange jackets that could say "caution" on the back, are after the speeders. Mountain hosts, yellow jackets with the ? mark help you find your way around and give tours.

WB - they have actual off duty RCMP officers with a radar gun at some places. There safety patrol can pull a ticket. I've seen it done. But again "ski patrol" is first responders for accidents.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even at a small ski area, it's helpful to have official folks on the slope helping at choke points or busier sections where the terrain lends itself to high speed. Wachusett has volunteers who are present at busy times, often two so that they can keep each other company. Only a couple of places but it certainly helps. Certainly more effective than a static sign that says SLOW.

jskis190

Certified Ski Diva
My guess is that the people who don't want more "yellow jackets" are the worst offenders. There are far too many on the hill who ski without care for anyone around them. I almost got wiped out twice in one day putting my skis back on outside Vista Haus at Breckenridge.

mustski

Angel Diva
^^^This. There are always those people who get annoyed at being told to slow down because, "I know what I am doing and I can ski in control at speed." Yes. But. Can you stop in a heartbeat when someone who can't do that cuts you off! Once the accident has occurred, it's fairly irrelevant who was at fault.

kiki

Angel Diva
I think both are necessary and are an important part of the ski hill. The yellow jackets are integral to maintaining safety on the hill, without them we would need more patrol and medics as there would be more injuries. This is especially true at crowded resorts like WB.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna