• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Moment Sierras, suitability for petite intermediate?

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
I’ve been eyeing the Moment Sierras for an all mountain daily driver ever since I did a ski clinic at Revelstoke last year and the instructor was a ski tester who professed her love of the brand. Plus, I’m a sucker for a beautiful top sheet haha.

I’ve searched here and have seen some positive mentions of them but specifically am hoping for feedback on length and maybe from another petite woman whose tried them? Demoing won’t be an option for me. I have to choose between 152 or 162.

I’m 5’3” 122lbs. Strong Intermediate, I’ll do any black or blue but am not super fast and mostly avoid trees and bumps. My home mountain is Lake Louise in the Rockies. I’m often found chasing 4 kids around the blue groomers :smile:

They’d be replacing a pair of 153cm Salomon QST Lux 92s. I already have a powder ski I love, Icelantic Maiden 101s and those are 162 length, but have a lot more tip/tail rocker. I can use them as a daily driver, but they’re harder on my knees and I don’t love them for hard pack groomers or icey, which is why I got the QST’s. They’ve been a good ski for 4 seasons, but it’s time to start looking at replacing. Open to other suggestions too if you have something you want to suggest, thanks! I am intrigued by the great feedback I’ve been seeing on the Santa Ana line up too.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
162, hands down 162. The Sierra has a lot of rocker and the 152 will be way more unstable at your stats.
Thanks! for some reason I didn’t think they had that much rocker, but looking again their rocker profile is quite similar to my maidens and I don’t find length an issue with those, it’s more the width and strength required to get them on edge in slick conditions. I really love them in the soft stuff but find them very unforgiving when I’m tired

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW Moment’s size guide has your height at 162… they do have a lot of rocker……
Skier HeightSkier Height (cm)BeginnerIntermediateAdvanced PlayfulAdvanced Charger
5'3"161cm162cm162cm162cm172cm

you can always “chat” online if you have any questions ~ I’ve found everyone at the factory to be extremely helpful

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's also a more center-mounted ski, so will feel shorter. Consider moving the mount point back a cm if you're more of a directional skier.
100% move the mount point to -6. I like freestyle, off piste skis and the -5 was still way too forward. I really really disliked the -5 but the skis came alive at -6! Just FYI, unless you speak to a female staff member the moment guys will probably try to convince you to mount at recommended but many women say -6!

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is anyone familiar with the differences between the Sierra and the Sierra tour? The tail is evident but otherwise it seems the tour is paulownia and the reg is popular?? Making it lighter…
So they ski relatively the same?
edit: poplar haha

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is anyone familiar with the differences between the Sierra and the Sierra tour? The tail is evident but otherwise it seems the tour is paulownia and the reg is popular?? Making it lighter…
So they ski relatively the same?
edit: poplar haha
I'm actually going to buy the Sierra tour! Although I don't have it yet haha. It's lighter and I suspect it will be softer as well. My boyfriend has the deathwish tour and deathwish and they ski the same but the tour lay-up is softer.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So in theory, the Sierra tour might be the pick for the OP - lightweight, petite intermediate?

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So in theory, the Sierra tour might be the pick for the OP - lightweight, petite intermediate?
Hmm...I always kind of struggle with the recommendations because I'm aware of my bias towards skiing off-piste and skiing aggressively. It's my feeling though that if the OP takes the touring skis off piste, even into light chop beside a groomed run, they will deflect a ton and be hard to keep under control. A heavier ski tends to dampen any lumps and bumps which can actually make skiing in those conditions easier. The alpine Sierra is quite a light ski in itself so I dont think it would be too heavy for her anyway. I actually relegated my sierras to be touring skis because they weren't burly enough for me to ski fast off-piste in rough conditions at the resort.

I have a friend who is a beginner who has the full sierras (incidently, she also uses them at Lake Louise) and although she is a bit bigger than the OP, she adores them! She finds them very forgiving, enjoyable at lower speeds, and easy to turn, without them being floppy (worth noting she also mounted at -6).

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But for what it's worth, I'd never recommend anyone use a touring ski at the ski hill. You lose so much stability and dampening that you're actually working harder than you would be with a slightly heavier ski!

tri-ski-pucker

Diva in Training
I am a 5'7" 120lb advanced/expert and am getting to know my new 172cm Sierras. I don't like them so far, but see comments here about moving bindings back 1cm. I also read on a Blister Reviews from a 5'8" 125lb skier on 172cm length how she hated them until moving bindings back 2cm. Debating which position to try.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm lightweight, 95 lbs, and I actually prefer burlier skis as they help me charge through chopped up crud better. I struggle as is because I don't have a lot of mass to carry me through, so lighter, softer skis don't really do me any favors in those kind of conditions. This may just be my preference, but that's been my experience so far. I have to be a lot more "on" with a softer, lighter ski to keep it on edge to cut through the mess.

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a 5'7" 120lb advanced/expert and am getting to know my new 172cm Sierras. I don't like them so far, but see comments here about moving bindings back 1cm. I also read on a Blister Reviews from a 5'8" 125lb skier on 172cm length how she hated them until moving bindings back 2cm. Debating which position to try.
I guess it depends on how you like to ski. -6 is still a fairly progressive mount, so if you want a bit more of a freestyle flavour (without feeling super centered), go -1. If you prefer a more traditional stance and like to drive the tips more, then I could see how a -2 might be nice!

There's also a small chance your bindings will dictate where they can be mounted based on the drill pattern.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's also a small chance your bindings will dictate where they can be mounted based on the drill pattern.
Yes maybe a toe re-mount puts her at -1.5cm which could be her goldilocks position....

FWIW I did chat with a female at Momment who agreed that -1 would be better if I was using my new Bellas as my powder skis .....

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I
I'm lightweight, 95 lbs, and I actually prefer burlier skis as they help me charge through chopped up crud better. I struggle as is because I don't have a lot of mass to carry me through, so lighter, softer skis don't really do me any favors in those kind of conditions. This may just be my preference, but that's been my experience so far. I have to be a lot more "on" with a softer, lighter ski to keep it on edge to cut through the mess.
I hear that! I'm considerably bigger than you (5'7", 130lbs) but I was frustrated with the sierras (mounted at -5) so tried my boyfriends 180cm bonafides and my skiing improved immensely since they just plow through everything. I felt way more confident skiing fast. Bought his skis and relegated my sierras to backcountry skis (this time mounted at -6). Now I'm super happy with my quiver!

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a pair of 172 moment sierras the end of last year and I am a petite advance skier (120 lbs and 5'5''). I love how stable and fun they are. These are the longest ski I have ever skied and worried they would be too long. Yet on the first run they just felt perfect. 162 should be just the right length.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly