• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mittens-need warmest in existence!

altagirl

Staff member
And FWIW, adding glove liners usually makes my hands colder. My fingers need to touch and have a disposable heater in there. I did just find some boiled wool mittens that I'm going to try as liners in my Mercury mitts.

https://www.salewa.us/product/gloves/mittens-grey

So this is what I got - (in azalea, of course...) Tried them for the first time today. I actually just took out my packed out liners in my Mercury Mitts and used these instead. That results in the outer mitts being a little oversized, but not unusably so. Today was sunny and not exceptionally cold - started out a 24 degrees, up to about 34 in the afternoon, breezy. I typically would wear my mercury mitts with disposable heaters and it would be tolerable, but not comfortable. Today - I wouldn't say my hands were actually "warm", but they were very comfortable (with no heaters! Which normally is not something I would do unless temps were close to 40).

The real test will be when it's colder. I did realize that I can take the liners out of my Black Diamond Absolute Mitts - those have fluffy insulation in the shell itself as well as the liner and I THINK that they will be usable with the wool mitts as liners instead of the normal fluffy liners. (With the stock liners they are so much like boxing gloves that I can't grasp a ski pole....) Anyway - I'm definitely going to play around with it. I definitely liked the feel of the boiled wool on my hands. Haha, I did also think that I could use them as liners in some Astis mitts if I buy a pair, and that should equal pretty epic warmth!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
What have you tried that they are beating in terms of warmth?
I had Gordini Polar mitts, and they were warm but didn't breathe as well as the Hestras. Definitely worth the money.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
Those of you that use chemical warmers what is the trick to ensuring enough oxygen flow that they keep heating? I tried putting a set under my boot gloves (saw it recommended here) and then another pair in my mittens yesterday. They warmed up in the lodge but only lasted about 15 minutes once I was out in the cold. They were the grabbers brand if that makes any difference.

altagirl

Staff member
Those of you that use chemical warmers what is the trick to ensuring enough oxygen flow that they keep heating? I tried putting a set under my boot gloves (saw it recommended here) and then another pair in my mittens yesterday. They warmed up in the lodge but only lasted about 15 minutes once I was out in the cold. They were the grabbers brand if that makes any difference.

Not really any trick... They just work. I can't vouch for the boot gloves, as those don't work with tele boots, but I've never had an issue inside mittens unless I had a bad pair. If you take them out and shake them a bit, it gets them more fired up (or if you happen to be in a bathroom with hand dryers, running some air into your mittens definitely is nice, but I don't have a problem with them staying generally functional all day long without taking them out. If they're not warm enough for your liking, take them out and shake them around for a few seconds, but they SHOULD work in the gloves/mittens for 7+ hours...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The biggest trick for us with the chemical hand warmers is to open them 30+ minutes ahead of when you want to use them. Also, when you come in for a break, remove them from your mittens so they can reactivate with the additional oxygen.

I have tried the toe warmers in between the boot glove and the boot and feel like those only work for a run if that, and putting them in my boots under the toes was a disaster. Will try them on top of the toes, but I expect that will be equally dissatisfactory. I feel I am fast approaching Hot Tronic territory!

I buy mine by the box from LL Bean with my earned coupons so they rarely cost me anything.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
I will have to try the opening ahead trick. I opened then about 15 min ahead when I came in to warm up but that was obviously not long enough. The package said that they didn't need to be shaken but I may try that next time.

I had hotronics years ago and never felt like they worked very well but maybe it's time to try again. I mentioned to my boot fitter that they never worked for me and the response I got was that something in my boot must have been affecting my circulation.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I will have to try the opening ahead trick. I opened then about 15 min ahead when I came in to warm up but that was obviously not long enough. The package said that they didn't need to be shaken but I may try that next time.

I had hotronics years ago and never felt like they worked very well but maybe it's time to try again. I mentioned to my boot fitter that they never worked for me and the response I got was that something in my boot must have been affecting my circulation.
I only open mine up about 10 minutes ahead of time and don't have any problem. At lunch, or break time I unzip the outer mitten so that air can get to them and by the time we go back out (usually only about 30 minutes) they seem rejuvenated.

altagirl

Staff member
I've never tried NOT shaking them. (I'm not sure what the directions say, to be honest). That seems to be key to me, but perhaps just in my mind! Haha.

I often open them 15 minutes or so ahead of time -I usually drop them in my boots on the drive up. That said, they seem to work fine when I just open, shake, and drop in my mittens as I get dressed.

I have somewhat successful results with the toe heaters. Always on top of the toes, and I place them at an angle so it's just on my toes and not over my foot itself. But as we all know, boss never quite fit identically day to day. Some days they work great, others I feel like I have less space. Likewise, some days they feel warm, and others, not so much.

I'm also considering battery operated boot heaters, but at close to $400, it's a little terrifying that they might not work. I want happy with my early generation hottronics, but that was like a decade ago. They have to have improved.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot ; Try using Toasti Toes. Open them first thing when you get to the hill to allow them to activate. Pull the paper off the sticky part, then place one sticky-side up on your fingers. Slide your hand and warmer gently into the liner, keeping the sitcky-side up. Shove it all the way to the end of the toe box, being careful to keep it as flat as possible, then FIRMLY apply it to the top of the toe box inside the liner. Press and press to get them well stuck. Now you should be able to slide your toes in underneath and they shouldn't wrinkle up on you.

Once you're done skiing, remove them immediately so they don't get semi-permanently stuck in there. Getting them off once they cool is a B!TCH!!

Jilly

Staff member
Definitely get them on top, not underneath. I bought toes and hands by the case at Costco. DH's had real problems. I finally got him the Thermic mitts and boot heaters. I tried the heaters in one pair of boots and they didn't seem to work. Found out it was the install. Not correct. I had my boot fitter do a new set this summer. I would not have been skiing this last month without them!!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot ; Try using Toasti Toes. Open them first thing when you get to the hill to allow them to activate. Pull the paper off the sticky part, then place one sticky-side up on your fingers. Slide your hand and warmer gently into the liner, keeping the sitcky-side up. Shove it all the way to the end of the toe box, being careful to keep it as flat as possible, then FIRMLY apply it to the top of the toe box inside the liner. Press and press to get them well stuck. Now you should be able to slide your toes in underneath and they shouldn't wrinkle up on you.

Once you're done skiing, remove them immediately so they don't get semi-permanently stuck in there. Getting them off once they cool is a B!TCH!!

You are brilliant! I used my LL Bean toe warmers, but put them inside the top of my boot as you suggested and WOW! Not only was it completely comfortable, but I was warm. Took my boots off at lunch, the warmers reactivated, and skied the rest of the day. Will repeat tomorrow :thumbsup:

kedwards

Diva in Training
Resurrecting an old thread :smile: I was searching to see what the warmest mitts are, at least rated by the Diva's. Funny, I have most of the ones mentioned here, but I still wish there was something warmer!

I have diagnosed Raynaud's and take a medication in the winter to increase my blood flow. My hands do not turn white, but rather dusky purple with red spots on the knuckles and are obviously icy cold. Multiple doctors have told me I present with classic Raynaud's. I know many turn white, but not all. I also bleed like crazy, so it seems Raynaud's symptoms can vary.

I have:
-women's Black Diamond Mercury Mitt (large). Men's version runs enormous.
-women's Gordini Goose D0wn/Goretex (large)
-women's Hestra lobster claw (9). I can wear an 8 in the men's/unisex.

The Hestra lobster claw I can only wear on warm days 30+ degrees F, but I love them for that - great dexterity. I still want to try the women's Hestra mitten at some point, but they sell out early...I had too much sticker shock initially and missed my chance! The men's just seem wide in the hand. I love the Black Diamond Mercury's extra long cuff, but wish the mitt had a zipper pocket for hand warmers so I could use two pairs. The Gordini has the zipper pocket, so with those I can use two pairs. I prefer the fit of the Black Diamond, but it is a close call between the Black Diamond Mercury and the Gordini for warmth. In negative F air temps and significant negative wind chills, I only last 3-4 runs before having to thaw.

Will report back once I get a chance to try the Hestra mitt.
Hi I'm in same boat...should I go for the bd?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also considering battery operated boot heaters, but at close to $400, it's a little terrifying that they might not work. I want happy with my early generation hottronics, but that was like a decade ago. They have to have improved.

@altagirl , the newer Hottronics are fantastic. They've vastly improved the battery over the ones they had years ago. I don't think I could ski without them.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hi I'm in same boat...should I go for the bd?

The Black Diamond Mercury is a solid contender. In hindsight I should have purchased the men's as opposed to the women's as the men's has more grams of insulation. I just ordered a men's small for my daughter; she is blessed with my circulation issues. Fingers crossed they fit!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hestra Heli are very warm. Also, you can try hand warmers. Unlike toe warmers those are easy to use for anyone as there is typically more room in gloves than in boots and easy to discard too.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@kedwards, the men's Black Diamond Mercury arrived for my daughter. They seem to have much better warmth protection than the women's - go figure! She will be testing them out this weekend, but if these babies don't work not sure what will. I have never put on anything so warm that I could actually still move my hands in.

Hestra Heli are very warm. Also, you can try hand warmers. Unlike toe warmers those are easy to use for anyone as there is typically more room in gloves than in boots and easy to discard too.

I am absolutely using hand warmers - sometimes 2 pairs at a time. I have the Hestra women's 3-finger and those are saved for milder days since they are not warm enough for the truly cold days. I just picked up a women's Hestra Heli Mitt on sale; I will try them this weekend and see how they rate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna