• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mittens-need warmest in existence!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
With my Black Diamond Mercury Mitts I also use a thin glove liner inside that has the reflective "silver dots" inside of them, this helps a bit as my hands used to really freeze last year on super cold days before I got the liners. I also use a handwarmer in each most of the time. Sometimes my thumbs still get cold if it's a particularly cold day, but I can usually stick my thumb in the main pocket with the hand warmer on the lift if needed.

I do use glove liners, but am not jazzed about the ones I have. I did some research and might try the Seirus Thermalux Pocket liners. They have a pocked for a hand warmer plus that reflective material. Worth a try!!

So here is what the Diva's have taught me over the years of sneaking around the boards and collecting advice I find. I too have Raynaud's. Which is almost completely non active now that I am completely caffeine free. Thank you Divas. And when it's below 0, layers on the core make your hands/toes warmer. I went and bought a jacket and pants a full size bigger than what I need. I wear a base layer, a mid layer, then a spyder jacket midlayer, then my jacket, on the bottoms it's fleece lined leggings with fleece jammy bottoms followed by insulated snow pants. A serius helmet liner/facemask and a turtle fur around my neck. Gordini down filled leather mittens (make sure you have wrist gators on your base layer that cover to your finger tips to keep palm warmer. Since my outerwear is a size bigger, it doesn't inhibit movement as much as one would think, if at all. But it keeps tight clothing from restricting your blood flow. I might look like the staypuff marshmallow man, but I don't have Raynaud's breakouts near as often. Thank you again Divas. oh ....and keep sugar levels even. put candy in your pockets

I am no slouch in the core department either On the coldest days I am now wearing a Smartwool tank + Columbia Omni-Heat base layer or mid-weight Smartwool + Avalanche mogul fleece 1/4 zip + 800 fill down jacket + insulated jacket. I wear a neoprene mask + neck warmer + hat + helmet + full coverage goggles.

Curiously, none of my docs have mentioned caffeine, but I may give that a whirl too! I drink so little anyway, 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning only, but it wouldn't bother me much to switch to decaf.

Jilly

Staff member
I love my Thermic heated mitts....well actually they were DH's....I haven't had a problem with the battery getting out before I do.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I am no slouch in the core department either On the coldest days I am now wearing a Smartwool tank + Columbia Omni-Heat base layer or mid-weight Smartwool + Avalanche mogul fleece 1/4 zip + 800 fill down jacket + insulated jacket. I wear a neoprene mask + neck warmer + hat + helmet + full coverage goggles.

Curiously, none of my docs have mentioned caffeine, but I may give that a whirl too! I drink so little anyway, 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning only, but it wouldn't bother me much to switch to decaf.

Layering up works well, but if the clothing/layers are even the slightest bit tight, they also act as vasoconstrictors. Try sizing up and see how that works. And the DIvas told me about caffeine, not the docs and it works really well. lots of articles to support them online. Worst part is not eating chocolate.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Layering up works well, but if the clothing/layers are even the slightest bit tight, they also act as vasoconstrictors. Try sizing up and see how that works. And the DIvas told me about caffeine, not the docs and it works really well. lots of articles to support them online. Worst part is not eating chocolate.

Eeek....I would rather come in and warm up after several runs than give up chocolate!

I totally get if your core is cold, the body decreases blood flow to your extremities to conserve heat for the "important stuff" (internal organs).

My research however points to the base layer being snug as the best option for heat retention. A snug layer increases blood flow - that is the concept behind compression wear, right? I don't wear a true compression layer (personally I don't care for the feeling), but when I wear a synthetic base layer they are fitted.

altagirl

Staff member
Eeek....I would rather come in and warm up after several runs than give up chocolate!

I totally get if your core is cold, the body decreases blood flow to your extremities to conserve heat for the "important stuff" (internal organs).

My research however points to the base layer being snug as the best option for heat retention. A snug layer increases blood flow - that is the concept behind compression wear, right? I don't wear a true compression layer (personally I don't care for the feeling), but when I wear a synthetic base layer they are fitted.
If it makes you feel any better, I've given up caffeine completely for long periods of time and not noticed any difference in my cold extremities.

And FWIW, adding glove liners usually makes my hands colder. My fingers need to touch and have a disposable heater in there. I did just find some boiled wool mittens that I'm going to try as liners in my Mercury mitts.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
If it makes you feel any better, I've given up caffeine completely for long periods of time and not noticed any difference in my cold extremities.

And FWIW, adding glove liners usually makes my hands colder. My fingers need to touch and have a disposable heater in there. I did just find some boiled wool mittens that I'm going to try as liners in my Mercury mitts.

Good to hear! I could likely give up caffeine in the coffee, but the chocolate sooooo isn't going to happen.

I go back and forth on whether liners help or hinder. I will give the reflective ones a whirl, and also seek out some liner mitts, just to complete my personal experience study :thumb:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have been caffeine free, except chocolate, for gosh around 7 or 8 years now.. Have not noticed any difference whatsoever in my extremities, they are still cold!

I originally wanted to use mitten liners that I have for other mittens, but I didn't feel comfortable in my Mercury Mitts since it separates your index finger to begin with inside. Have others found a way around this?? The reflective glove ones help a bit for me over no liner at all.

For some reason this past week when it was really cold my hands stayed relatively warm, it can be so random when my hands really give me trouble..

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva

If you are a normal person I guess. I'm not up on my research of compression wear. I have googled "tight clothing, Raynaud's". It tells you to avoid. And the more air you trap between layers the more insulating it will be.

I wouldn't give up chocolate either if it didn't help!! LOL. I find the same with my liners, they make it worse. My fingers need to touch. I'll be interested in the wool liners. I have a wool zip up sweater for super cold days that is my second layer of four. It really helps, so I would think that the wool liner would be super. Let us know!

altagirl

Staff member
I just got the Hestra Heli mittens and I have never had such warm mittens. I am amazed at how breathable they are and how they have kept my hands dry! Just got this email from a very reputable local shop. This is one heck of a deal on these!
https://store.allspeed.com/hestra-a...t/?utm_source=Mail_Chimp&utm_medium=Email&utm
What have you tried that they are beating in terms of warmth?

I've tried them on in the store but they don't seem all that exceptional in terms of warmth so I've never spent the money to try them skiing.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find my mittens get damp - put on a dry pair after lunch or break - hands stay warm instead of freezing when I go back out. My big problem is my toes, even with Hotronics. At least in the 5 degree and below days this past week. And new boots with a bit more room, too. Gotta try same with socks, perhaps.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But my socks and boots don't seem to be damp - and liner will be the same, anyway - just a change of socks.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
just a note for any lurkers who are just looking for tips: What are your poles made of? If they are aluminum, they conduct the cold super well and thus make your fingers freeze off on the lift. Get a composite that is much worse at cold/heat conduction.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
just a note for any lurkers who are just looking for tips: What are your poles made of? If they are aluminum, they conduct the cold super well and thus make your fingers freeze off on the lift. Get a composite that is much worse at cold/heat conduction.
Or don't hold them. I always have my poles somewhere that doesn't require my hands (tucked under my leg) so that I can turn my hands into a ball in my mitts.

altagirl

Staff member

I don't disagree with the concept, but I can't say that I noticed a difference between aluminum poles and the carbon ones I've been using for years.

Though I also don't hold them on the lift - they're generally tucked under my leg.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I had/have a bad habit of holding them and mine were aluminum. Made a huge difference when I switched. But I'm still a holder. never got that whole tuck thing down, mainly because my vertical is so low combined with high speed sixes, that we aren't on the lift very long.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have composite poles and on the lift they go either between my legs, or under them, so my thumb can join my other fingers and share the hand warmer. Bases appear to be covered here. I was warmer without the liner gloves this weekend....will try the reflective ones when they come to complete my personal study :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just wore my Astis mitts for the first time ever. It was a blisteringly cold day - well, not thermometer cold, but brutal winds.

Had I been wearing my Hestra heli mitts with glove liners, I would have needed chemical hand warmers.

I did not need hand warmers. The Astis mitts were not just warm, but also windproof. And of course they look sexy as hell.

altagirl

Staff member
I just wore my Astis mitts for the first time ever. It was a blisteringly cold day - well, not thermometer cold, but brutal winds.

Had I been wearing my Hestra heli mitts with glove liners, I would have needed chemical hand warmers.

I did not need hand warmers. The Astis mitts were not just warm, but also windproof. And of course they look sexy as hell.
Good to hear! They're still on my short list...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good to hear! They're still on my short list...
Yup. I was thinking of you as I wrote that. Also, dexterity wasn't really any worse that Hestra Heli. I mean, it's worse, but not in any way that matters - you have to take your mittens off anyway for everything but holding ski poles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna