• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mittens-need warmest in existence!

altagirl

Staff member
I still want to obtain the Mercury Mitts, but like some of you, I've learned I may have to wait until next season. The last shop said they were no longer able to obtain them as they're "out of stock". I had pretty much the same experience trying to shop online. I'm still concerned that if I buy small, as suggested by SkiDiva, my fingers might be too long...?????????

I wonder if I contacted the Mercury people and suggested that they donate one of each size next season to the Crescent Ski Council as door prizes if they'd do it as an introduction into the Southeast market via our 21 clubs????? (Then I could try them on for sizing :eyebrows: )

The company you'd want to contact is Black Diamond. (Mercury is just the model). But it's worth a shot!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've looked most of the day, can't find them in stock. My local REI is sold out, and he said that they are sold out from the Manufacturer at this point because he can no longer order them. We will have to wait for the 2015 season. :(
If it's worth it to you, try calling brick and mortar stores associated with websites. For instance, REI can check the inventory of other stores, and will arrange shipping when you prepay. The local Christy's didn't have the right color helmet in my size but had it shipped to them from another store. And now that you know that the Deep Powder House has one of the mitts we talked about, you might even call them and see if they'll pop a pair in the mail. Seriously, I've done that, and it worked.

As for me, I ordered two or three of these super warm mittens a few months ago, and although they were definitely warm, they were so bulky and impractical that I gave up. However, I'm lucky and don't have Reynaud's, so super duper gloves aren't critical except that few weeks when I suffer because it's snowing and blowing and ten below.

I did find a pair of Hestra gloves that fit great, and I'll pick some up in the off season, but what I'm watching out for now is a pair of lightly lined shell mittens to pull on when it's bitter cold. 'Til then, it's just my battered Dakine gloves.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
If it's worth it to you, try calling brick and mortar stores associated with websites. For instance, REI can check the inventory of other stores, and will arrange shipping when you prepay. The local Christy's didn't have the right color helmet in my size but had it shipped to them from another store. And now that you know that the Deep Powder House has one if the mitts we talked about, you might even call them and see if they'll pop a pair in the mail. Seriously, I've done that, and it worked.

As for me, I ordered two or three of these super warm mittens a few months ago, and although they were definitely warm, they were so bulky and impractical that I gave up. However, I'm lucky and don't have Reynaud's, so super duper gloves aren't critical except that few weeks when I suffer because id's snowing and blowing and ten below.

I did find a pair of Hestra gloves that fit great, and I'll pick some up in the off season, but what I'm watching out for now is a pair of lightly lined shell mittens to pull on when it's bitter cold. 'Til then, it's just my battered Dakine gloves.

Rei checked other stores and I'm no t desperate yet. Especially since it was 47 today. :( body was going faster than my skis in parts. Rather jarring...and high on the injury potential scale. Went to the bar. Guess if I'm not making it elsewhere this season I can wait for fall. Trying to talk hubby into driving the 11 hours to Jays Peak. Do they really ski until may 3rd there or is it sludge and not worth the drive?

Jilly

Staff member
Jay is great in late April....Sugarloaf too!

Tremblant is in great shape....you could fly to Toronto and get the Porter shuttle......or gly to Montreal and grab a car........where's that carrot??

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Well, it finally got above freezing here yesterday and was in the 30's today, so I too may be beyond the desperate need for this season. It got soft and a little grabby on the slopes this afternoon and certainly muddy in the parking lots.... On the other hand, will I be thinking about about mittens before our December racecamp in Steamboat, when I might desperately need them again? Where I live, I have no physical stores nearby to try on mitts and I'm still concerned about sizing. Maybe I should take all the wonderful information that the divas have shared ~with~ me to Steamboat where there are lots of "brick & mortar" stores to check out and a Crescent discount to be had? (We even have a keg party IN Christy Sports the 2nd evening.)

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rei checked other stores and I'm no t desperate yet. Especially since it was 47 today. :( body was going faster than my skis in parts. Rather jarring...and high on the injury potential scale. Went to the bar. Guess if I'm not making it elsewhere this season I can wait for fall. Trying to talk hubby into driving the 11 hours to Jays Peak. Do they really ski until may 3rd there or is it sludge and not worth the drive?

Jay stays pretty legit through all of April. You can always find untouched snow there... If you know where to look. :smile:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Resurrecting an old thread :smile: I was searching to see what the warmest mitts are, at least rated by the Diva's. Funny, I have most of the ones mentioned here, but I still wish there was something warmer!

I have diagnosed Raynaud's and take a medication in the winter to increase my blood flow. My hands do not turn white, but rather dusky purple with red spots on the knuckles and are obviously icy cold. Multiple doctors have told me I present with classic Raynaud's. I know many turn white, but not all. I also bleed like crazy, so it seems Raynaud's symptoms can vary.

I have:
-women's Black Diamond Mercury Mitt (large). Men's version runs enormous.
-women's Gordini Goose D0wn/Goretex (large)
-women's Hestra lobster claw (9). I can wear an 8 in the men's/unisex.

The Hestra lobster claw I can only wear on warm days 30+ degrees F, but I love them for that - great dexterity. I still want to try the women's Hestra mitten at some point, but they sell out early...I had too much sticker shock initially and missed my chance! The men's just seem wide in the hand. I love the Black Diamond Mercury's extra long cuff, but wish the mitt had a zipper pocket for hand warmers so I could use two pairs. The Gordini has the zipper pocket, so with those I can use two pairs. I prefer the fit of the Black Diamond, but it is a close call between the Black Diamond Mercury and the Gordini for warmth. In negative F air temps and significant negative wind chills, I only last 3-4 runs before having to thaw.

Will report back once I get a chance to try the Hestra mitt.

MissySki

Angel Diva
With my Black Diamond Mercury Mitts I also use a thin glove liner inside that has the reflective "silver dots" inside of them, this helps a bit as my hands used to really freeze last year on super cold days before I got the liners. I also use a handwarmer in each most of the time. Sometimes my thumbs still get cold if it's a particularly cold day, but I can usually stick my thumb in the main pocket with the hand warmer on the lift if needed.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about heated mitts? Sticker shock, I know. There are more and more companies making them. I have no first-hand experience, but I know that LL Bean, Outdoor Research, Power in Motion are making them (the last ones there are a liner, I believe). Probably lots of others too.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
For two days this week, we had temps around zero and sustained winds of about 30 mph. So the wind chill was around -20. Yeah, it was pretty brutal, and yes, I skied. (I must be out of my mind!)

I also have Raynaud's, so my hands get cold really, really easily. Mine is the type that my fingers go white, though, which is pretty creepy. Anyway, on these two days here's what I did:

TWO glove liners
Black Diamond Mercury Mitts
Hand warmers in the mittens.

And no, my hands did NOT get cold.

It was a lot, I admit. But it worked. And to me, that's all that mattered.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What about heated mitts? Sticker shock, I know. There are more and more companies making them. I have no first-hand experience, but I know that LL Bean, Outdoor Research, Power in Motion are making them (the last ones there are a liner, I believe). Probably lots of others too.

I have the heated gloves (by Chaval) and while they're really good, when it's as cold as it was in my above post, the batteries just can't keep up and they run out before I want them to. If I was only out for a couple hours, they'd probably be fine. But for five or six, it's tough.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
So here is what the Diva's have taught me over the years of sneaking around the boards and collecting advice I find. I too have Raynaud's. Which is almost completely non active now that I am completely caffeine free. Thank you Divas. And when it's below 0, layers on the core make your hands/toes warmer. I went and bought a jacket and pants a full size bigger than what I need. I wear a base layer, a mid layer, then a spyder jacket midlayer, then my jacket, on the bottoms it's fleece lined leggings with fleece jammy bottoms followed by insulated snow pants. A serius helmet liner/facemask and a turtle fur around my neck. Gordini down filled leather mittens (make sure you have wrist gators on your base layer that cover to your finger tips to keep palm warmer. Since my outerwear is a size bigger, it doesn't inhibit movement as much as one would think, if at all. But it keeps tight clothing from restricting your blood flow. I might look like the staypuff marshmallow man, but I don't have Raynaud's breakouts near as often. Thank you again Divas. oh ....and keep sugar levels even. put candy in your pockets

altagirl

Staff member
I have the heated gloves (by Chaval) and while they're really good, when it's as cold as it was in my above post, the batteries just can't keep up and they run out before I want them to. If I was only out for a couple hours, they'd probably be fine. But for five or six, it's tough.

I know I was in a shop looking at other heated gloves and the shop employee talked me out of it, saying that they just aren't that warm and mittens are going to be more effective. She thought that most of the heated gloves are designed with dexterity in mind rather than maximum warmth.

grlacey

Certified Ski Diva
I have reynauds syndrome. I have frostbitten several times. Last year I searched for heated mitts and decided on venure heat heated liners instead. About a week after getting the liners I skied Jay Peak at -30 my hands still got a bit cold, but no frost bite. I am super happy with the liners. The heat elements wrap around your fingers all the way to the tip. I invested in a spare set of batteries too. Both sets of batteries will get me thru a long day on the hill. The only down side is the cuffs on the liner are a bit bulky. Other than that, best $90 I have ever spent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna