• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mitten Maintenance

MissySki

Angel Diva
So, a couple of questions as I’m going through my ski gear and getting things ready for the season.

1) This is embarrassing to admit, but I’ve never ever laundered my ski mittens. Is this ridiculously gross, do others do so? If so, is it safe to throw them in a washer/dryer? My mittens definitely don’t smell, and I usually wear liners (that I do wash!), so they don’t usually touch my skin etc.

2) Can you rewaterproof Gortex mittens as you do outerwear?

3) You know how the thumbs of some gloves and mittens have a softer material perhaps for wiping goggles etc.? I have a pair of lighter mittens that I still really love, but the layer of this material on the thumbs have kind of work off to a more scratchy gray material. Is it time to toss them, or can this be remedied in some way? It hasn’t seemed to change things functionally, but they look ugly.. plus they are over 10 years old.

Any other tips or tricks for keeping your mittens or gloves in top condition? What is your normal practice? And how do you know when it’s time to replace?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I have had nothing but trouble if I throw layered/insulated gloves/mitts in the wash. If you must wash, do the gentle swish and squeeze out method of hand wash. You can re waterproof them but it only works so well if they aren't clean, and wear is extremely difficult to repair.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have two pairs of Chaval heated gloves. I only wipe (and recondition) the leather. Washing would kill the wiring.

My other gloves and mitts I was on a very gentle cycle, and keep moving the length of time on any cycle so they aren't in long. I use Woolite and a slow spin for a moment or two. Then squish remaining water out between towels. When they are dry, days later, or sooner on a glove heater, I I dab them with Nikwax Glove Proof. That re-waterproofs, and per the bottle 'maintains breathability and grip'. It DOES say it can be used on leather gloves. I haven't tried it so can't comment.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki, here are some suggestions.

1) This is embarrassing to admit, but I’ve never ever laundered my ski mittens. Is this ridiculously gross, do others do so? If so, is it safe to throw them in a washer/dryer? My mittens definitely don’t smell, and I usually wear liners (that I do wash!), so they don’t usually touch my skin etc. Spray the insides of the mittens using a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide from the first aid section of your local pharmacy, then prop them open over a heat vent in the house until the insides dry. This eliminates any funky smell. You can do this for the helmet too. And for ski boots. Remove liners, spray hydrogen peroxide, done. Works like a charm on running shoes too.

2) Can you rewaterproof Gortex mittens as you do outerwear? Yes. Use the sprays you can buy at Walmart or REI. Or online. For leather mittens, apply Snow-Seal. One canister is enough for a lifetime supply.

3) You know how the thumbs of some gloves and mittens have a softer material perhaps for wiping goggles etc.? I have a pair of lighter mittens that I still really love, but the layer of this material on the thumbs have kind of work off to a more scratchy gray material. Is it time to toss them, or can this be remedied in some way? It hasn’t seemed to change things functionally, but they look ugly.. plus they are over 10 years old. I don't have any suggestions to make the scraped off velour look black again. I have found that Magic Markers are not as permanent as they pretend to be when applies to fabric, but YMMV.

Any other tips or tricks for keeping your mittens or gloves in top condition? What is your normal practice? And how do you know when it’s time to replace?
If you get holes in your mittens or the seams come loose, you can cover the offending holes in duct tape. Use the thin tape, not Gorilla Tape. Duct tape repairs do not keep the mittens in "top condition" but they they sure do save money when one is on a budget. In my world, duct tape solves a multitude of skier softgood issues and its presence is common among dedicated skiers. I keep some in my bootbag wrapped around a fragment of plastic straw. **Don't wrap duct tape tightly around a thumb, though. You won't be able to get your thumb in there.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I guess I was wondering if the scraped off velour could be added back, and/or if it’s even worth doing. I could see adding duct tape, the only annoying part is not having the functionality of the velour for wiping goggles etc.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's what SkiGees are for.

Where do you keep it though? I like when it’s on my finger in case I’m skiing under snow guns and need immediate clearing or on the lift where I don’t like to open pockets. I think I’ve seen some people attach them to their poles somehow? I have triggers though so that wouldn’t work.

Jilly

Staff member
I have one that fits on my "expressive" finger...the skigees are too big for even my thumb. Not sure what this is called but it has a velcro strap that is about 1/4" wide.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh i recently got a skigee! Great for lightly deicing goggles too, on those snowy icy kinda days. Mine fits on the thumb of my mittens, there's enough extra fabric there to keep it in place!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Where do you keep it though? I like when it’s on my finger in case I’m skiing under snow guns and need immediate clearing or on the lift where I don’t like to open pockets. I think I’ve seen some people attach them to their poles somehow? I have triggers though so that wouldn’t work.
in my pocket

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use a hair elastic and have one attached to each pair of mittens I own. All my mittens have rings of some kind on them. If it's a day with rime as a major issue, I'll stick it on my thumb, stretching the elastic a bit so I can use it while moving.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I use a hair elastic and have one attached to each pair of mittens I own. All my mittens have rings of some kind on them. If it's a day with rime as a major issue, I'll stick it on my thumb, stretching the elastic a bit so I can use it while moving.

Thanks, this sounds like a good solution!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Adding onto this, how about Hestra gloves and mitten care? In particular the white leather palms. If one has gotten hers quite dirty looking is there any hope of getting the dirt off or at least better looking? Any tricks for cleaning the leather? Soap or specialized leather cleaner etc.? I have a pair of gloves that i don’t actually ski with that often because I really need mittens on the mountain, but I got these gloves during a great end of season sale and use them for spring skiing sometimes. I more often use them for winter shoveling/moving fallen branches etc. at home. They are looking very grimy on the white palms, but they are still in really great shape otherwise since I haven’t worn them all that much so I’d like to pretty them back up as much as possible.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
@MissySki, here are some suggestions.

2) Can you rewaterproof Gortex mittens as you do outerwear? Yes. Use the sprays you can buy at Walmart or REI. Or online. For leather mittens, apply Snow-Seal. One canister is enough for a lifetime supply.

This only works on clean items. Once the item is dirty/grimy etc the waterproofing doesn't adhere.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Adding onto this, how about Hestra gloves and mitten care? In particular the white leather palms. If one has gotten hers quite dirty looking is there any hope of getting the dirt off or at least better looking? Any tricks for cleaning the leather? Soap or specialized leather cleaner etc.?

I’ve never tried it on mittens/gloves, but I’d imagine Saddle Soap would work well, then reapply a sealant wax (hestra specific or similar product) after they dry. It’s what I use on my Frye leather boots when they get grimed up with road salt and dirt...https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-FIBSOAP97T005L-Saddle-Soap/dp/B016WVW35A

I will say I don’t mind the look of Hestras when the palms get darker, to me they never look dingy, just broken in.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ve never tried it on mittens/gloves, but I’d imagine Saddle Soap would work well, then reapply a sealant wax (hestra specific or similar product) after they dry. It’s what I use on my Frye leather boots when they get grimed up with road salt and dirt...https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-FIBSOAP97T005L-Saddle-Soap/dp/B016WVW35A

I will say I don’t mind the look of Hestras when the palms get darker, to me they never look dingy, just broken in.

Thanks, I’ll look into this!

If it was just a little dirty from normal use and touching things while skiing etc. it would be fine. Mine on the other hand look super grimy, it’s a dark dirt on them.. :doh: Hopefully with some washing I can dial it back to a more natural used look. I’m fine with them not looking pristine, mine just look like I’ve been gardening in them or something lol.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Always wondered why Hestra made gloves/mittens with white leather palms?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This only works on clean items. Once the item is dirty/grimy etc the waterproofing doesn't adhere.

I apply SnowSeal every season to all my mittens, and they are all old and since I don't wash them they must be full of dirt. It adheres. I don't use the sprays on gloves/mittens, but I do use the SnowSeal, even on the fabric parts, not just on leather, and it sticks just fine. I rub the SnowSeal into the mittens/gloves, then I warm them in the microwave a little after rubbing the SnowSeal on, then rub off what didn't get soaked into the fabric or leather as it heated with a paper towel. Done.

The SnowSeal worked well enough on some of my mittens a week ago when I skied in the rain all day long bell to bell for two days, and it didn't work so well on others. Each day I changed into new mittens at lunch, so I went through four pair of mittens. All of them were several years old; one pair is 15 years old. The last pair I used, this would be the second day in the afternoon, were made of fabric not leather, and very old. They stayed dry the best. I have no idea why. YMMV.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna