• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MissySki's Golf Journey

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'm enjoying this golf discussion. This year I've really been putting some effort into improvement - not just playing once a week with no practice between games. I'm very small and very not young, so hitting very long (and anything very exciting) probably isn't in the cards - at least for the near future. I've decided my aim is to be consistently, even boringly, adequate. To keep flubs to an absolute minimum.
There is something to be said for playing a conservative game. In reality...most people can probably score much better than they normally do, simply because it takes a lot of discipline to not think "yea, I can get it over that bunker/around that tree/avoid that pond". I still remember a round 3 or 4 years ago where my husband and I got paired with an older lady...if I had to guess, in her 70s. She was unbelievably consistent... just modestly hitting right down the middle of the fairway every hole.

I went through this phase of thinking I was going to keep improving on some steady curve with practice and let's be real... golf is notoriously a game of frustration. And in my experience, that is not without cause.

And almost everyone I've talked to is like - you get just enough good shots in to reel you in. When it works, it's so lovely and you think "I've got the hang of this now!"... but there are a million and one factors that can change on your next attempt, so... haha, good luck with that. It takes a massive amount of consistent practice to really get things dialed.
Hahaha! DH and I just had this ^ conversation. I haven't played in almost two years...so yeah, consistent practice is currently not in my wheelhouse.

altagirl

Staff member
There is something to be said for playing a conservative game. In reality...most people can probably score much better than they normally do, simply because it takes a lot of discipline to not think "yea, I can get it over that bunker/around that tree/avoid that pond". I still remember a round 3 or 4 years ago where my husband and I got paired with an older lady...if I had to guess, in her 70s. She was unbelievably consistent... just modestly hitting right down the middle of the fairway every hole.
Definitely true! Heck even at TopGolf - we had one friend on our team who could never hit a ball out past the green targets (which is 90 yards). But on the games where you weren't required to get anything into the farther targets - she killed all of us because she could just ploink - drop the ball right in the middle of the shorter targets every single time. I can hit it to the back wall, but it's inconsistent and the point scoring rewards consistency. (I mean don't get me wrong, it rewards consistency in the farther targets even more... but you're generally better off being consistent in the short targets.)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ugh and today's class was just cancelled.. I was quite sure it was going to happen watching the radar all day, but still disappointed. Two weeks in a row.. This weather has been for the ducks, so darn wet! And not just wet, we've been having thunderstorms for part of almost everyday for a couple of weeks now which is so weird!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We didn't have class last Friday due to the holiday weekend. I went to the range a bit over these 2 weeks. On Monday, I was hitting the PW, 9i, and 7i surprisingly well through the first 30-some balls. Usually that's all I hit and then I practice chipping, putting, and getting sand in my shoes. But nooooo, I had to get a full bucket because I was sure I needed more work on irons. 2nd half of the bucket, it all fell apart. On one shot, I -- let's say I took a divot -- so hard it bothered my left wrist. I still have twinges in it now and then. It should be fine through the lesson, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to get rained out and give it another week to recover.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So, had 2 more lessons cancelled for rain the past two Thursdays.. ugh! I was hoping August would be different than July.

Not much of an update on my Driver, but yesterday we had a course lesson and my instructor said he finally got in touch with the correct person at Callaway and to leave my club with him after class. The rep is supposed to be there today and will examine it. Very interested to hear what he says! I'm hoping he texts me because I don't think I'll be at class this Thursday due to a scheduling conflict and not rain for once..

altagirl

Staff member
Sorry to hear about all the rain!

I've been lucky that our Thursdays have had reasonable air quality so far. Fingers crossed for this week, though I think I'm playing solo. Both my partner and my backup sub are out and I'm running thin on other golfers to join me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly