• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Missed Demo Days...Need Recommendations!

SkiJunkie513

Diva in Training
I demo'd a bunch of skis last year and bought some Rossi Saffron's (162) that I have taken from the Mid Atlantic to Jackson Hole to Vail to Monarch. We recently moved to CO and the more I ski on these skis, the less and less I like them. I absolutely bought them too short...demo days here in CO are done and now it seems like demo options are kind of limited.

I'm 5'5'', 135-140 and I ski pretty much everything with a strong bias towards back bowls, trees, and bumps...mostly because my husband can't appreciate a fun groomer zoomer! We charge pretty hard but I'm a newer powder skier having just moved from the east coast (what, you mean you don't always need to lay the ski on edge?!)

Last winter I demo'd the 2015 kenja (162) and found that it may be too long, the rossi temptation 88 (hated it), and the Salomon lux 83 (was ok) and the saffrons. This weekend I got to demo the 2016 volkl kenjas (156), the rossi savory 7 (170), Salomon RKR (men's in 170). I fell in LOVE with the kenja and firmly established that I am probably just not a rossi girl. I'm probably the only person who doesn't like the Saffron or Savory....

That said, nowhere seems to have a good selection of other all-mountain wide stuff to demo, especially from local manufacturers...which is where I would love some advice! I'm thinking probably something in the 90-100 range, but closer to 100..even a little wider. Would love any perspectives on the Atomic Vantage 95C, Icelandic Oracle, Icelandic Maiden, RMU Apostle, and the new fully rockered Aura...not sure how i feel about a fully rockered ski as a daily driver but it seems to really rip from what testers are saying! I'd hate to have a monster set of planks just to have some effective edge though...would make trees trickier...

Thanks!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey! I mostly ski and teach on my Volkl Kenjas, but just picked up a pair of mid fat Atomic Vantage 100. I love them. It was a non planned spur of the moment demo on mostly icy groomers. After one run I went in and ordered a pair. Today I finally skied them in the 30 plus inches of pow we have received this past week, and I love them even more! Light, versatile as they grip on ice like mad for a mid fat ski, and palyfully fast in the deep stuff. I still prefer my 117 underfoot S7s for really big days, but was surprised by how well they handled today's high speed runs. Put them on your list too!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You owe it to yourself to try the Blizzard Samba since it sounds like you like a ski with a little bit of a "chargy" side (meaning, like to let them run down the fall line with speed.) They are 98 under foot. Playful yet with they really shine in crud and at speed. Also, tons of love from fellow Divas for the Nordica Santa Ana, which are 100 under foot.

ETA the Santa Ana's have a bit more of a powder bias to them, based on what the other gals have said. The Sambas are just an absolute hoot to ski but are a bit "beefy" for a true powder ski.

If you want a true powder ski for deeper days, you'll probably want to go wider.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@SkiJunkie513 , I am 5'9" and similar weight. I have not demoed the new Vantage 95CW, but I have last year's model (Elysian in the 168) and LOVE them. Took them to Big Sky last year, and will again this year, and they are going to CO with me in Feb. They are my ski of choice, even in New England, unless it is hard/icy or I know we are sticking to groomer zoomers.

I did not get along with the 2015 Temptation 88 either, but I demoed the 172 and am still uncertain if it was a bad tune....I just could not get off them fast enough! I demoed the Kenja 170 the same day and although they made me feel like a super hero on the groomers, I wouldn't want to ski them all day.

I hear fabulous things about the Samba, but sadly have never tried them. Likewise on the new Aura, but I did demo the 2015 in a 163 and thought they were a lot of fun....short, but fun.

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ETA the Santa Ana's have a bit more of a powder bias to them, based on what the other gals have said.

What powder bias? They hold a great edge and also blast crud.

I am so going to try the Santa Ana. I will second the Atomic Elysian in about all conditions. I even had them out last time when it was a combination of icy/hard packed and soft snow in place and they did fantastic, surprisingly well in the hard pack. OMG I think I may ski these skis the majority of this season.

SkiJunkie513

Diva in Training
Thanks ladies! I'll absolutely add the Samba, Santa Ana and Vantage 100 to the list. I actually had the chance to demo the Sambas and was a little hesitant because the guy at the demo shop said that if I loved the Kenja, I might not like the Samba because it was a softer ski. Hmmm.

Any suggestions of a good place to demo all of them these days though? Have any of you demo'd the Icelantics or RMUs?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I meant compared to the Sambas, they do better in powder.
ETA they do what the Sambas do well, including edge hold and crud, but are a little better in powder than the Sambas.

I do absolutely love my Sambas, though! Curious about the Santa Anas but love the Sambas enough that I'm not THAT curious :tongue:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks ladies! I'll absolutely add the Samba, Santa Ana and Vantage 100 to the list. I actually had the chance to demo the Sambas and was a little hesitant because the guy at the demo shop said that if I loved the Kenja, I might not like the Samba because it was a softer ski. Hmmm.

Any suggestions of a good place to demo all of them these days though? Have any of you demo'd the Icelantics or RMUs?
Hmm, you love the Kenja, didn't like the Temptation 88, Savory, or Saffron. I'm the opposite. Haven't found a Rossi I didn't like or a Volkl that was really fun even as I became a solid advanced skier. My all-mountain is the Black Pearl and I like the Samba enough to request it when I rent for a powder day out west. Could be that the guy in the shop knows something.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have any of you demo'd the Icelantics or RMUs?

I've owned several Icelantic skis. They tend to be damp and heavy. Excellent for crud busting and stability. Not maybe the most lively feeling?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hmm. I was going to suggest the Savory 7 in a 170 but see you didn't like it. I am skiing all over the mountain in the Saffron 7, but I am 5"1 and 102, so ski is the right length for me. Yes, agree with you that it's way to short for you... Ironically, I also have the Kenja but find the Saffron's way more fun and surfy..... The Kenja does hold well on ice but don't love them in powder....

SkiJunkie513

Diva in Training
I think I am also having a hard time being between sizes on just about everything. I am at the weight and height threshold for the 162 and would generally prefer a shorter to a longer ski just for maneuverability. I can open up the saffrons I own in 162 but they get squirrely and I don't feel so confident. The Savory 7 felt perfect in terms of stability (it was really a breath of fresh air) but I just didn't like all of that ski. 170 felt like a lot going through trees. The real solution would be to have a quiver but I really do go from a foot of fresh in the back bowls/tees to softer bumps to harder bumps and groomers frontside.

The 2016 Kenjas...I could do no wrong. I just plowed through everything, bumps, tight trees....all below treeline. Above in horseshoe bowl at Breck and on peak 6, I felt like I was sinking after 12 inches of snow the night before. I would pull the trigger and buy them but I just sort of hesitate because of 90 under foot and I want to demo the Aura and atomics...though not sure I feel about full rocker under foot too. Will probably put some Marker TourF10s on them and get some skins for those days I am feeling ambitious and go backcountry with the hubs...so leaning away from full rocker.

Sort of sounds like I should demo the Icelantic if I like the Kenja. I have a demo of the RMU Apostles in 162 scheduled for Sunday (unless they are unavailable) Hoping that 70% rocker in a 165 feels better than the 50% rocker in the saffron 162. 175 in that ski seems...excessive...

I know...I'm looking for the goldilocks ski! If I find it I will absolutely let everyone know!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Outdoor Divas now has a Vail store. They are doing demos on Saturdays. They will have skis from both stores at the demo site. Currently, the website is not updated with phone # for the Vail store so call the Boulder store for more information.
The Vail store is very easy to find, it's in Lionshead next to the bus pickup area. Parking in the garage is free after 3 pm. There will be demo days in Feb and March.
I'm another Rossi lover. Ski the Saffron and Savory's. My friends demoed the Temptation 88's and preferred Volkl Kenja's instead. I'm 95 lbs., 5'1, and ski 162 in both the Savory's and Saffron's. They ski more like a 156. I'm not on the radar for this ski size wise but I ski it anyway.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely add the new Aura to your list of possibilities! The Shiro is also a total blast in all but the hardest snow conditions - playful, fun, and willing (even in trees), but they may be wider than you'd like. (I'm on them in my profile pic).

RuthB

Angel Diva
I have a demo of the RMU Apostles in 162 scheduled for Sunday (unless they are unavailable) Hoping that 70% rocker in a 165 feels better than the 50% rocker in the saffron 162.

Did you get onto the RMU Apostle's? How did you find them?

SkiJunkie513

Diva in Training
I did get onto the carbon Apostles in 165! I thought they carved really well considering the hardpack at Breck that day and that they were fairly nimble. I didn't have the chance to try the regular ones though, but the RMU rep said that they would be a little more lively because of the wood core. They were fairly easy to maneuver on bumps considering their width (105) and the conditions. We were so lucky that day and got some of the first tracks on Imperial Bowl as well. The Apostles were fun and fairly easy to turn in the slightly crunchy pow. I got to get them up to speed on a few groomers and they felt stable, and I didn't notice too much tip chatter. It edged about as well as I could have asked for a 105 on hardpack. If I didn't find anything I loved, I was going to get these.

I also got to demo the new Icelandic Maiden in 163. I really wanted to love this ski, but there was nothing that really spoke to me about it. If anything I found it to be a big unforgiving. Carved well on the groomer, but was really clunky in bumps. Felt fine in some softer snow in the trees. I suppose I could have tried the 155, but with some tip and tail rocker, It'd probably be way too short.

I finally got on the Volkl 100eights as well in 165. Finally! (No Aura's unfortunately) These skis are.a.BALL. It got kind of warm yesterday so the groomers softened up a bit. These just transitioned so quickly from edge to edge on the groomers. I could feel the rest of the ski engage as I made my turns. Short turns, no problem. Longer turns, no problem. I could really get it on edge! We did some of the hike-to terrain off peak 6 as well and they handled some of the windswept/choppy stuff well. We also lucked out (again!) and they had just opened up the peak 7 alpine. First tracks in Whales Tail...these were AWESOME. Stable. Turned easily. Below we had some nasty breakable crust that the ski handled beautifully as well. Also handled some of the huge bumps on peaks 9 and 10 well with quick smeary turns. I liked these so much I am considering making them a daily driver, just because of how well they handled everything I threw at them and because we ski everywhere all in the same day. That or I will get Kenjas too :-). The 100eight isn't totally ideal for hard bumps, but they got the job done!

Separate but related for you backcountry ladies...My husband put Marker Kingpin's on his skis and LOVES them. Says they feel exactly like an alpine binding...felt as stable in those as he did in his Griffons (and he had F12s on his AT setup until recently that he said seemed to have a little play in the heel). He raved about the kingpins so much that I figured I'd share, and because I have been looking at AT setups myself. Guess it is time to start looking for stuff when it goes on sale...

Happy skiing!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also got to demo the new Icelandic Maiden in 163. I really wanted to love this ski, but there was nothing that really spoke to me about it. If anything I found it to be a big unforgiving. Carved well on the groomer, but was really clunky in bumps. Felt fine in some softer snow in the trees. I suppose I could have tried the 155, but with some tip and tail rocker, It'd probably be way too short.

Unforgiving isn't surprising for an Icelantic ski. They can be pretty planky. Because of that they crudbust really well, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna