• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MIPS helmets

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I have several ski helmets, all Giro, some never worn, none of which incorporate MIPS technology. In fact, I had never heard of MIPS until today. I guess I haven't been paying attention.

I just did a couple of searches and realize that MIPS has been around for several years. Yes, I have read through the threads but I am looking for the most current information. Can you please educate me about whether I need a new helmet for the upcoming ski season? TIA.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I was talking to a worker at REI about the value of MIPS/noMIPS… her take was, all helmets are good, but why NOT MIPS?

I do try to have all our helmets have it - but I’m on the paranoid side when it comes to protective stuff. I’m on the anxious side of things.

My understanding is, all helmets will protect from the impact, but that the wiggle of the MIPS layer prevents torsion on impact, so it‘s like extra buffer?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I do not yet have MIPS, but only because my current helmet is still serving me well. It fits (it took me forever to find one that fit well), it’s comfortable, it hasn’t taken any hits/falls. However, I do plan to make my next helmet one with MIPS when I decide to upgrade.

newboots

Angel Diva
I’ve heard both sides of the MIPS technology, and I have no idea which is correct. (One side says very helpful, the other side says “meh”.)

I was stunned to discover that ALL the helmets in our shop now have MIPS. Unfortunately, manufacturers now increase the price for boa adjustment, vents that open and close, and the type of goggle clip. :rolleyes: MIPS used to cost more.

I wish I had a recommendation for you! I don’t know the answer!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ve heard both sides of the MIPS technology, and I have no idea which is correct. (One side says very helpful, the other side says “meh”.)

I was stunned to discover that ALL the helmets in our shop now have MIPS. Unfortunately, manufacturers now increase the price for boa adjustment, vents that open and close, and the type of goggle clip. :rolleyes: MIPS used to cost more.

I wish I had a recommendation for you! I don’t know the answer!

I haven’t heard the meh side, what has been said for that? I’ve always heard that MIPS is where you want to be, if buying a new helmet anyway. Admittedly I haven’t looked into it much in general since I haven’t been in the market.

Soujan

Angel Diva
According to this article, a buyer has no idea how protective the helmet really is. Each helmet that is labelled as being equipped with MIPS, only has to be 10% better at handling rotational impact than a non-MIPS helmet. The buyer will never know if the helmet they are buying is 50% better at handling rotational impact or only 10% better. As long as it's the minimum 10% it get's the MIPS label.

Some articles also say that certain brands may be better at dissipating rotational impact without the MIPS liner than others with the MIPS liner that only meet the 10% minimum. So it sounds like it's better to research the brand of helmet rather than rely on the MIPS label.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I upgraded to MIPS after damaging my previous helmet with the skiing version of going over the handlebars when braking (went from shallow snow to deeper snow with my weight on my tips....thankfully, in powder, but I had a sore neck!)
My reasoning was I was always going to get a reputable brand anyway, and MIPS offers additional protection. Also, it came in purple.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I will need a new helmet this year and I will be buying a MIPS helmet. I have tried to research the safety aspect of ski helmets but what I have found is that the companies are not allowed to post their testing and results is because of liability issues. I find that is crazy considering that cars are rated on how well they do in crashes. It seems like the ski industry insiders would know what helmets are the safest but they can't tell us? I'm sure there are non MIPS helmets that are better than some MIPS but we wouldn't know it.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Research from Virginia Tech rates a lot of helmets and I definitely used it when purchasing new bike helmets this year. I’m surprised not to see snow sports on their test type list. Maybe we can let them know there is a need for more info and they might add it to their testing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Gearlab reviews. It's not scientific testing, but it's about the only comprehensive consumer discussion about helmets I've ever run across.
Nice! I'm lucky. The helmet that has fit the best of the ones I've tried is the Smith Vantage, which is highly rated.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Nice! I'm lucky. The helmet that has fit the best of the ones I've tried is the Smith Vantage, which is highly rated.
That is a nice helmet. I got the Smith Liberty MIPS that I think is the former Smith Valence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna