• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mighty Mermaid Sprint triathlon

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All,
So far, I've lost a whopping 4 pounds but the good news is that I can see muscle mass improving. I signed up to do the Mighty Mermaid sprint triathlon in Capitola, CA on 10/6/12 with Team in Training (Leukemia Lymphoma Society). It's not a trivial goal for me because I am a really lousy freestyle swimmer (but improving). Anyway, the date to commit is fast approaching and I have quite a bit left to fund raise. If anyone would like to help, a $5 or $10 (or more if you like) donation would be very much appreciated! The web site to donate is located here:

https://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/mermaid12/mmonew

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all,
First open water swim practice Saturday AM. Very exciting (and a little nerve-wracking!).
Please send positive thoughts my way early Saturday morning (if you think of it).

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! Running is not my forte, but I am training in it so I understand your elation.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! Running is not my forte, but I am training in it so I understand your elation.
Thanks for note Vickie! I swam 1/3 of a mile and the event distance is 1/4 mile. Wasn't pretty to watch but got through it and learned a few things! Overcoming fear always feels great!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Practice triathlon yesterday at Stevens Creek Reservoir and surrounding area. Wow! In comparison to the ocean, the open water swim was so much nicer (water quality!). Hilly bike ride and the coaches threw in a diabolical hill for the run portion! I survived!
Needless to say, definitely still working on form! Here is a photo:

Attachments

• 501540.jpg
    501540.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Triathlon successfully completed. Here is the letter I sent out to friends/supporters:

Dearest Loved Ones/Friends/Supporters/Teachers & Coaches,

On Saturday, October 6, I had one of the most magnificent experiences of my life. I completed the Sprint event of the Mighty Mermaid Triathlon. I am so proud to let you know I am now officially a triathlete

I chose to do a triathlon because I was afraid in water and because completing it would be a personal statement to Parkinson’s Disease, “ Get out of my way. I have no intention of standing still!”

I could not have done it without your support and I want you to understand just how much this means to me and how grateful I am to each of you! Your help allowed me to participate and to complete this event!

It was far from perfect (as my swim coaches/buddy will attest). I did the open water swim doing backstroke. But it was my best open water swim to date and I wasn’t afraid at all (though I’ll admit to doing multiple takes of all those swimmers around me……especially the ones so close to me!!). Other than completing the swim, I set a goal to climb to the top of the steepest hill of the bike course without stopping----which I did (discovering just how mental some obstacles actually are!).

While the event felt like a landmark in my life, I have to tell you that the training leading up to it was exceptional! Team in Training is a very impressive organization and their coaches reflect that!! They are not only great at what they do, they care and they give of themselves over and over again! When my head coach, Larry Prensky, gave me a bear hug in Transition 1 (after the swim) telling me how proud he was of me, tears of gratitude and joy were my response. I share that gratitude with all of my swim teachers, Masters and TNT coaches.! I know you know how much all of your efforts have meant to me!

I am already planning another triathlon for Spring 2013 and am daydreaming of other possibilities. To all of my teammates on the triathlon team,
I am also so grateful to all of you for the love and support you have shown me! It is returned! Thank you for teaching me what it means to be part of such a cohesive team.

To each of you, thank you for being a part of my life.

With love and gratitude,

Marlene

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna