• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2022-23

Lmk92

Angel Diva
This evening they're still forecasting approx 4' of lake-effect snow around Buffalo!
I'm not sure how much of that holiday valley is getting, though. I checked their weather and it didn't seem like they were supposed to get too much. Fingers crossed for them!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bryce will be first to open in Virginia. Not surprising because Bryce is in a valley that traps cold air. They can have snowmaking temps sooner and longer than Massanutten and Wintergreen. Several of the long time management staff and ski patrollers at Massanutten started out working at Bryce so they know it well. Bryce opened in 1965, Massanutten's first decent season was 1972-73, Wintergreen opened their slopes in 1975. Bryce has a new quad replacing an old double. Bryce and Massanutten are on the Indy Pass.

Email sent out early Nov. 21

MOUNTAIN & WEATHER REPORT

NOVEMBER 21ST, 2022

OPENING DAY HAS BEEN SET!

Our snowmakers have been at it for the past 5 nights taking advantage of cold temps and last night was our most productive night yet. We now have piles at least 10 ft high in the base area, and on Red Eye and Bootlegger. Check out the web cam or our social pages for proof! Now that we have a good amount laid down we are excited to announce our opening day. We will have a soft opening to the public Wednesday, Nov. 23rd! Thursday will be a members' day so we will not be open to the public Nov. 24th. We will be back open to the public Friday-Sunday, Nov. 25-27th from 9AM-3PM. Next week we will close again and then open for GOOD on Friday, Dec. 2nd with regular hours 9AM-4:30PM. Early season rates will be in effect through Dec. 16th.

marzNC

Angel Diva
From a few years ago, but a really fun take on snowmaking in the southeast. Snowshoe can pump out even more snow in a short period of time these days. They reworked the beginner lift area near the main base buildings for the 2022-23 season. Opening days are this week, starting with pass holders and then for the public on November 23.

November 2019

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Belleayre has announced they will reopen Friday with almost 40% of their terrain open. This is amazing for them. In previous years, I contemplated the investment in going early in the season, and it was normally 20% open. If this weather holds, they'll be close to 100% by Christmas. Fingers crossed!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Man, all these resorts opening up have me wanting to get some early season turns. I think my husband has the itch more than me! Unfortunately, I don't see my ortho doc until mid-January to even get cleared to ski for the season. ACL recovery is going very well and am feeling really strong, but obviously nervous to get back out there again. Hoping I can get a few day trips up to Whitetail to boost my confidence before we head back to Timberline, my nemesis, in February or early March. If not daytrips, then a few runs on the Inside Ski hill to test out the brace and get my legs used to the motions again.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Bryce will be first to open in Virginia. Not surprising because Bryce is in a valley that traps cold air. They can have snowmaking temps sooner and longer than Massanutten and Wintergreen. Several of the long time management staff and ski patrollers at Massanutten started out working at Bryce so they know it well. Bryce opened in 1965, Massanutten's first decent season was 1972-73, Wintergreen opened their slopes in 1975. Bryce has a new quad replacing an old double. Bryce and Massanutten are on the Indy Pass.

Email sent out early Nov. 21

MOUNTAIN & WEATHER REPORT

NOVEMBER 21ST, 2022

OPENING DAY HAS BEEN SET!

Our snowmakers have been at it for the past 5 nights taking advantage of cold temps and last night was our most productive night yet. We now have piles at least 10 ft high in the base area, and on Red Eye and Bootlegger. Check out the web cam or our social pages for proof! Now that we have a good amount laid down we are excited to announce our opening day. We will have a soft opening to the public Wednesday, Nov. 23rd! Thursday will be a members' day so we will not be open to the public Nov. 24th. We will be back open to the public Friday-Sunday, Nov. 25-27th from 9AM-3PM. Next week we will close again and then open for GOOD on Friday, Dec. 2nd with regular hours 9AM-4:30PM. Early season rates will be in effect through Dec. 16th.
Tomorrow! Let me clear my schedule … jk.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I stopped by Massanutten on the way home yesterday. They have started snowmaking and seem to be following a different strategy. Instead of blowing on DJ, they are working on all the beginner terrain, including the relatively new Meadow that takes a lot of snow to open. Meadow is between the tubing hill and the teaching terrain, now called Paul's Way. Paul has been the Ski School Director for a few decades.

Massanutten base on November 21, 2022
Mnut 21Nov2022 - 1.jpegMnut 21Nov2022 - 2.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten will be open for Thanksgiving weekend! Only greens and the easiest blue from the Ridge Triple mid-station. Plus tubing.

Mnut will have beginner group lessons on weekends and holidays this season for both children and adults.

The RFID card system will be fully implemented for 2022-23. That means it will be possible to re-load an RFID card without having to stop by the ticket window. That feature wasn't quite ready last season.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 2.08.04 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking is gearing up in western PA at the three resorts recently bought by Vail Resorts. There had been very little communication with the local ski community during the summer and early fall. Opening dates are different than under the previous ownership so locals are a bit miffed, but trying to be optimistic. With Seven Springs opening later this week, it will become clearer how the first season as Epic resorts will go.

November 21, 2022

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Massanutten will be open for Thanksgiving weekend! Only greens and the easiest blue from the Ridge Triple mid-station. Plus tubing.

Mnut will have beginner group lessons on weekends and holidays this season for both children and adults.

The RFID card system will be fully implemented for 2022-23. That means it will be possible to re-load an RFID card without having to stop by the ticket window. That feature wasn't quite ready last season.

View attachment 19642
Hey, the ‘Nut is worthy to drive 2 hours to get a few turns on Lower Showtime. Except for the rain forecast for Friday and Saturday. Wonder if the snow will keep till Sunday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hey, the ‘Nut is worthy to drive 2 hours to get a few turns on Lower Showtime. Except for the rain forecast for Friday and Saturday. Wonder if the snow will keep till Sunday.
I'm a little surprised they are going to open. Not so much because of the forecast of rain, but more because it looks like it will be pretty warm. Not sure it would be worth the drive this weekend for Lower Showtime.

For beginners, especially families with kids who want beginner lessons, there will be enough snow for plenty of fun.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten has a drawing in progress for a season pass. Deadline is Dec. 2 to enter.

Enter to win your FREE 2022-2023 Ski Season Lift ticket!

Season pass prices go up one more time after Dec. 10. The pass options haven't changed. Also can get an Indy Pass as an Add-on for $219, about $200 less than Full Indy (no blackout dates). Bryce, Canaan Valley, Blue Knob, and Montage are also on Indy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The following mountains in the southeast and mid-Atlantic will be open by Thanksgiving weekend. Some may close after that for a few days or just open weekends until mid-December. A few other places hope to open in early December. Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail won't open until Dec. 16. Hidden Valley and Laurel won't open until Dec. 23.

NC: Sugar, Beech, Appalachian, Cataloochee*

VA: Massanutten*, Bryce*
MD: Wisp
WV: Snowshoe***, Timberline

PA, western: Blue Knob, Seven Springs**
PA, eastern: Blue, Camelback

NY Catskills: Belleayre, Hunter**, Windham***

* - Indy Pass Partners
** - Epic
*** - Ikon

marzNC

Angel Diva
For a concise overview of upgrades to Blue Mountain and Camelback for 2022-23, check out these articles on DCSki.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
"With 46 lanes, Blue Mountain also claims to have the largest snowtubing park in the country..." Interestingly, It was the tubing at Blue Mountain that introduced us to skiing. We went to Blue for their tubing and saw the skiers. When we had the opportunity to try skiing at Jack Frost (free rentals, free lift tickets, free beginner lesson), we jumped at it. Now we can't understand why anyone would waste time tubing when they could be skiing! (Jk, we know how fun it is, and Blue really commits to it, as evidenced by their improvements on what is already a superior tube park)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snow tubing is a big money maker for ski areas/resorts in the southeast that have them, even if there are only a few lanes. It was a big draw for me and my daughter at Winterplace when we were exploring skiing in the southeast after she could ski all the trails at Massanutten as a young tween. Was a bit different to go tubing in ski boots. There are a lot of grandparents who are willing to go tubing but are not interested in dealing with skis or a snowboard. For multi-generational families who get together at Massanutten for holiday weekends annually, they make sure to get tubing tickets well in advance.

Hawksnest in the NC mountains shut down as a ski area a while ago and became a dedicated snow tubing area. It's very popular. Somewhat similar to a waterpark in that there is more than one tubing area, each with a different character. They have ziplines too.

Beech Mountain started using a snowmaking machine that doesn't require traditional cold weather just to make sure they could get the tubing park open by Thanksgiving.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For families with kids who head to Boone or Banner Elk in the NC mountains for skiing/boarding, there is a bonus snow activity. The town of Beech Mountain has a sledding hill, complete with snowmaking. Supposed to be for kids only but adults may accompany the kids they bring. Have to provide something to slide on. There are a few people helping to manage the hill. It's good fun and free.

This time-lapse video shows the lower area of the sledding hill in the foreground with the Beech slopes in the background.

November 24, 2022

Flowergirl88

Certified Ski Diva
Liberty has a new GM, Chris Blackwell. He's coming from Afton Alps, which was his home mountain growing up. Also has experience working at Breckenridge. The previous GM became the VP of Vail Resorts’ Mid-Atlantic region in 2019. He's originally from central NY and spent quite a few years working at Vail Resorts ski schools in Colorado before moving to PA.

October 6, 2022
WHOA! Just catching up on the thread... dreaming of skiing!!! I really hope the new GM will make significant changes to the way the lines operated. It was a HOT MOB MESS last year! Sounds like this guy is super experienced though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly