• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2021-22

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alpina Ski Shop in New Haven, PA (near JFBB) is having a Columbus day sale from Oct 8-11th. They also accept used equipment to place on consignment for anyone wishing to get rid of some old stuff.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Details for the swap to that helps out the Liberty Ski Patrol.

We are excited to announce the 2021 Liberty Ski Patrol Ski Swap to be held on SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24th at 8am at the Ski Center Ltd in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

HOW I SELL MY STUFF?
Consignors are required to register for the event at our SKI SWAP SITE, make their sales tags at home, tag their items and then drop their sellable goods off between noon and 6 pm on Saturday, October 23, 2021. Ski Center Ltd has small bags and ties available at the store if you wish to use them.

HOW MUCH DO I GET FOR MY ITEMS?
A donation to the Liberty Ski Patrol is 20% and you keep 80%.

IS THERE A RAIN DATE?
The rain date is Sunday, October 31, 2021.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Montage is going all out for 2021-22. Will have RFID. Will be on the Indy Pass for the first time. There is a sale for a 3-day pass for $149 as of Oct. 2. Look under Daily Rates and scroll down to click on Tickets to find the offer. Also have a 3-pack that includes rentals. Mon-Wed tickets are $40 and only $15 for seniors 70+.

I'm hoping to use Indy at Montage this season. Haven't been there during mid-season yet.

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 9.05.34 PM.png

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montage is going all out for 2021-22. Will have RFID. Will be on the Indy Pass for the first time. There is a sale for a 3-day pass for $149 as of Oct. 2. Look under Daily Rates and scroll down to click on Tickets to find the offer. Also have a 3-pack that includes rentals. Mon-Wed tickets are $40 and only $15 for seniors 70+.

I'm hoping to use Indy at Montage this season. Haven't been there during mid-season yet.

View attachment 16563
Yes, the new owners have really been investing in the resort and doing a lot of marketing to make it grow and bring in $$$ for upgrades which I am happy to see! They are also supposed to be making repairs and "upgrades" to their Long Haul lift which is very much needed.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@kmb5662 if you're ever at Montage on a Sunday, just let us know. We're there most weekends, either Saturday or Sunday, but usually Sunday. We ski with @Olesya Chornoguz .

I agree, I've overall been very happy with the new management. I thought they did a fantastic job dealing with the pandemic last year with the outdoor food setup at Midland. They're also, like kmb said, doing a lot to invest in and upgrade the resort. I always get kinda torn, because while I want to see them do well, I also have gotten spoiled by the short lift lines. lol Lift lines last year down on the North Face went from non-existent to quite long. But hopefully a more functional Long Haul could help with that. Take some of the load off Phoebe lift.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I really enjoyed hearing more about the current owner of Montage during the interview with Stuart of Storm Skiing. I knew the attempt to rebrand the mountain with a different name was a mess. Didn't know that that ownership put in the waterpark and lazy river. Pretty funny to hear the description of Charles Jefferson finally learning to ski a few years ago.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@kmb5662 if you're ever at Montage on a Sunday, just let us know. We're there most weekends, either Saturday or Sunday, but usually Sunday. We ski with @Olesya Chornoguz .

I agree, I've overall been very happy with the new management. I thought they did a fantastic job dealing with the pandemic last year with the outdoor food setup at Midland. They're also, like kmb said, doing a lot to invest in and upgrade the resort. I always get kinda torn, because while I want to see them do well, I also have gotten spoiled by the short lift lines. lol Lift lines last year down on the North Face went from non-existent to quite long. But hopefully a more functional Long Haul could help with that. Take some of the load off Phoebe lift.
Definitely will do!

I also was grumbling at times last season with the with lift lines (at Elk, too), but I also understand that that's what brings in the income to keep the place going. Too bad we can't have it both ways!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I also was grumbling at times last season with the with lift lines (at Elk, too), but I also understand that that's what brings in the income to keep the place going. Too bad we can't have it both ways!
The fun of being retired or having flexibility midweek is that you can have it both ways. I've seen seniors on weekday mornings 9:00-11:00 at all the mid-Atlantic ski areas/resorts I've checked out during ski safaris. That's true everywhere but my sense is that it's even more important to get on the slopes for the first two hours in the east to get the best snow conditions, regardless of the weather.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really enjoyed hearing more about the current owner of Montage during the interview with Stuart of Storm Skiing. I knew the attempt to rebrand the mountain with a different name was a mess. Didn't know that that ownership put in the waterpark and lazy river. Pretty funny to hear the description of Charles Jefferson finally learning to ski a few years ago.
I remember the infamous Sno umlaut days. What an awful name that was and the marketing... ugh.

ETA: The moose was sorta cute, but that's about it.

1633490581853.png

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank god the Snö mountain days were short lived!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's an updated list for swaps and sales. Added Alpine, Massanutten, and Alpine.

Oct 8-11: Alpina Ski Shop sale, PA (near JFBB)
Oct 13-16: Buckman’s Tent & Ski Swap, All stores, PA
Oct 16: Massanutten Ski Swap, VA - benefits Massanutten Ski & Snowboard Teams
Oct 15–24: Appalachian, NC
Oct 16-17: Alpine, DC/NoVA
Oct 16-17: Frederick Ski Swap, Frederick, MD
Oct 16-17: Ski Tunes & Lancaster Ski Club Swap, Columbia, PA
Oct. 24: Ski Center LTD, MD - benefits Liberty Ski Patrol
Nov. 4-7: Freestyle, VA
Oct. 3-Nov. 7 (non-traditional): Ski Haus, MD
Nov 13: Baltimore Ski Swap, Baltimore, MD

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Supposedly they are clearing land at this time in preparation for condos at Elk Mountain in PA. There is going to be a connection to the condos at the intersection of the Lehigh and Delaware trails as per the rumor mill.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC I'm from Elon and went to school in Chapel Hill. I've barely skied anywhere out east. I generally just say I'm an adult learner since I got max 30-40 days between ages 8 and 20 in before moving to Seattle (and all in giant rental boots with super low volume feet). But I did a weekend at Sugar and one or two at Winterplace, a night at App Ski Mountain, a few weeklong trips to Snowshoe and a spring break in college at Park City. I nabbed an Indy Pass this past year and should bring it and my boots when I go visit family.
@Analisa : moved our discussion about NC over to the MidA/SE thread.

If you do use Indy for Cat or Winterplace this season, you'll find they aren't much different than before. On the other hand, Sugar and Beech have upgraded lifts and done other changes. I haven't skied at either for over ten years.

I learned to ski while at North Country School in Lake Placid in 7th-8th grades long ago. It's a junior boarding school (now G4-9) with a rope tow ski hill on a 200-acre campus in the NY Adirondacks. That was long ago and on straight skis. But it did make a difference when I skied a little in NC ten years later. In particular because side stepping, herringbone, side slipping, and hockey stops were survival skills I learned from the start. The easiest slope at NCS is steeper than most blues in the southeast.

I was from New York City before moving to Chapel Hill when I was in high school in the early 1970s. I went to UNC-CH for undergrad and grad school. Didn't have the time or money to ski much until I retired early to be a more relaxed older parent. The few ski trips I took after finishing grad school were to destination resorts out west and I only skied blue groomers. Took my daughter for her first ski school experience at Massanutten when she was 4. Since she loved skiing from Day 1, that's what got me started on the path to skiing regularly. DH is a non-skiing for assorted reasons.

marzNC

Angel Diva
From the region's boot fitter thread . . . @EasternSkiBum said "Greg Hoffman will be setting up shop at the Ski Barn at Snowshoe WVa. He is one of the best in the country. Long time in the NE at Mt. Snow. Then moved to Vail for quite a few years. Now he's back east."

Having a good boot fitter at Snowshoe will be useful to people who drive north for ski vacations at Snowshoe. I know there are families who drive all the way from Florida. Lots of people who make the drive from Atlanta, SC, and TN. Other than one in central SC, I don't know of any other good boot fitters in those places.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Roundtop will have NASTAR skiing for 2021-22. Wasn't available last season, but seems to be a pandemic decision. As opposed to a change in approach.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline sent a reminder that season pass prices increase again after today. For people who do day trips midweek, the Bronze pass is quite a deal for 1 day midweek per week for $339. Last season a day ticket was about $80, with discounts applied for a return visit midweek. The Silver midweek pass is $424 now. People who were willing to commit before April 1 or even July 1 got a pretty hefty discount.

If I lived in DC/NoVA, I would definitely consider the Bronze senior pass.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 9.48.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 9.49.08 AM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna