• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2021-22

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think some people don't take things seriously. And I think maybe VA DOT wasn't as prepared as they should have been. I think I heard Al Roker say they hadn't even pre-salted the roads?
Or maybe a lot of the travelers didn't realize that VA DOT is never prepared or competent when it comes to snowstorms. Snow is so infrequent anymore that the state doesn't bother to invest in needed equipment. Still, it pays to leave a day early or a couple of days late if you can.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think some people don't take things seriously. And I think maybe VA DOT wasn't as prepared as they should have been. I think I heard Al Roker say they hadn't even pre-salted the roads?
Doesn't matter if VA DOT is ready or not. There are always too many people in northern VA who don't believe the forecast. This area that got a lot of snow doesn't usually get the deeper amounts. I-95 between DC and Richmond is usually a bit too far south and east with the usual storm track that goes into Southeast PA.

I moved to central NC in 1972. That winter there was 8 inches of snow on a Sunday over a wide area. Most counties didn't have school for the entire week. Even though the main roads were completely clear and dry by Wednesday, if not Tuesday. It was quite a culture shock since I'd been in Boston in school for a couple years. There hadn't been a snow day for the local high school in Concord for 4-5 years in 1971-72.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't normally check OpenSnow for VA weather and snow forecasts. They have someone reporting for the Mid-Atlantic but I find the unique micro-climates for Massanutten, Bryce, and Wintergreen are a challenge.

What's important for the VA summary isn't really the next snowstorm, but the night time temperatures. There will be a LOT of snowmaking in the next couple weeks running up to MLK weekend.

Note that the 5-day point forecast on the Mnut website is showing somewhat colder night time lows, up to 10 degrees colder. What happens at mid-mountain in the Kettle can be noticeably different than 500-1000 feet lower in the surrounding Shenandoah Valley.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 11.14.53 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The NC mountains will get more natural snow this week. By the weekend there is likely to be more terrain open than was possible around Christmas. Beech and Sugar typically get the most snow from storms. Both have bases over 4000 ft and summits over 5000 ft. Both opened in the late 1960s with snowmaking from the start.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 11.27.35 AM.png

Lmk92

Angel Diva
That winter there was 8 inches of snow on a Sunday over a wide area. Most counties didn't have school for the entire week. Even though the main roads were completely clear and dry by Wednesday, if not Tuesday.
That is hilarious. If we get 8 inches of snow here, the kids are lucky to get a full day. Usually what happens is they wait to see if the forecast is true, and if it's not snowing by 3 am or so, they bring the kids in the morning. If it starts to snow while they're in school, they may have an early dismissal.

I'd hate to be a superintendent in the winter.

marzNC

Angel Diva
That is hilarious. If we get 8 inches of snow here, the kids are lucky to get a full day. Usually what happens is they wait to see if the forecast is true, and if it's not snowing by 3 am or so, they bring the kids in the morning. If it starts to snow while they're in school, they may have an early dismissal.

I'd hate to be a superintendent in the winter.
NC is in the southeast. VA is on the edge from a weather standpoint. PA/NJ are definitely in a different zone when it comes to snow after paved highways became the norm. While the folks in the NC mountains know how to deal with snowy roads, the folks who have either lived in the Piedmont for generations or the new comers who moved from snowy states to get away from the cold are a completely different story. The Sun Belt concept for people to move to NC didn't start until the 1990s. Needed to have widespread A/C first. My mother was ahead of the retiree migration since she decided to move from NYC to Chapel Hill in the early 1970s. At the time, there were 4 traffic lights in the entire town and no public transit system. Not sure the town owned a snowplow.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Wow. I remember hearing how that area was growing in the early 90's. I had no idea it has grown that much

marzNC

Angel Diva
Fredericksburg ended up as a foot of heavy wet snow, following by very cold temps. That's a dangerous combination anywhere. To have that much of I-95 closed for that long is pretty unprecedented.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 VDOT 1.jpgScreen Shot 2022-01-04 VDOT 2.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten and Wintergreen will re-open on Wed, Jan. 5. Massanutten said 8 inches of snow while Wintergreen said 11 inches.

Bryce managed to stay open. They will have plenty of open terrain by Saturday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
More snow headed to NoVA/DC later today.

MASSANUTTEN SNOW CONDITIONS
UPDATED 07:54am 01/06/2022

Clear skies giving way to snow this evening. Forecasts are calling for 3" - 7" of new snow starting around 6:00pm and around the clock snowmaking starting later tonight right through Sunday morning. Lower Showtime and the Ridge Triple will be open to mid-station today. Freestyle features will be set up on Lower Nutten-To -It. The forecast looks fantastic and we will be taking every opportunity to expand open terrain as the week progresses. Night skiing will begin on Friday night.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A regular from Richmond and his son had a blast at Massanutten this morning. There were "powder turns" to be had on Diamond Jim first thing. Now I would say the season as really started. Full on snowmaking at 2:30pm this afternoon means conditions will be great this weekend. Paradise coming soon!

Easy Street is the new name for Geronimo. Goes with Easy Rider as the name of what was known as Lift 3.

UPDATED 07:37am 01/07/2022

3" - 4" new snow overnight and around the clock snowmaking for the next few days is just what the Doctor ordered. Sunshine with highs in the lower 20s today so you might want to grab an extra layer of clothing. Freestyle features will be set up on Lower Nutten-To -It. We anticipate opening Easy Street and Upper Showtime Saturday and will begin working on Paradice later today. Night skiing begins tonight!

College Days Special will be available Friday and Wednesdays and Fridays through Mar 4th. $45 Slope-Use & $25 equipment rental with a valid College ID. College Specials must be purchased at the ticket window. College Friday Night Special starts tonight - $35 Slope-Use and $25 equipment rental from 4:00pm - 7:00pm.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh my! WV ski areas got a foot of snow! I'm headed to Davis, WV next week. :becky:

January 7, 2022
" . . .
The West Virginia resorts were the big winners with the Virginia resorts and Wisp were not far behind.

Canaan Valley and Timberline doubled their season snow total in the last 24 hours with 13.5 inches.

Snowshoe had one of their highest storm totals in a long time with 13″ of Cheat Mountain magic.

Winterplace also received 8″ of fresh snow, while over in Maryland Wisp reported just over 6″ of fresh powder.

It is always great to see the Virginia resorts get in on the snow action as Bryce, Massanutten, and the Omni Homestead received 4″ of fresh snow, while Wintergreen received 3″.

The North Carolina High Country resorts were on the lower end of the totals after the storm tracked more northwest than forecast, but there were still some decent totals.

Beech and Sugar received 3.5″ of snow, while Wolf Ridge is reporting 2″ of fresh.
. . ."

HikenSki

Angel Diva
We will be hitting Timberline in two weeks. Super excited to see them getting some good snow after the warm temps as of late. Couple weeks of solid temps and natural snow should have the place in top shape by the time we arrive. Woot!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Temp at Massanutten is under 20 as of 10am on Jan. 8. Perfect snowmaking weather!

The Ridge Triple is open to the top for the first time this season. Used to be called Lift 5.

UPDATED 07:23am 01/08/2022

Brisk start with sunshine and highs in the upper 20's. Snowmaking will continue as temperatures allow. Freestyle features will be set up on Lower Nutten-To -It, Easy Street and Upper Showtime open today and Paradice and Pacesetter are scheduled to open Sunday. #thankasnowmaker!

marzNC

Angel Diva
What matters in Virginia isn't the snow forecast but the night time and day time temperatures. The coming days before the MLK weekend are going to be very good for snowmaking. I expect all the VA slopes will be open by Jan. 14. Wintergreen will certainly try to have some trails ready off Highlands (all blacks, high speed lift).

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 9.58.23 AM.jpg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose : have you heard of anybody using the Indy Pass at Montage in the last few weeks?
Not really, but we don't really know a lot of people at the mountain. A couple from our adult race clinic have the Indy pass, and hopefully they'll be able to come up for a day to ski with us this season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a good time skiing at Timberline today. There were four ways down from the top in the morning. Upper Thunderstruck was groomed out by 3 groomers in the morning and open after lunch. Started snowing in the afternoon and kept snowing lightly through dinner time.

Amie H

Angel Diva
My daughter just had her 1st ski lesson (finally!) over Xmas break at my local hill (Wilmot.)
She is in Pittsburgh at school and her Spring Break is the week of March 6th. She wants to continue lessons at least one day, perhaps two, and actually get to the point where she could ski some greens with me.

We were thinking of a family trip (her, me, my sister) for a few days (My sister lives in Philly area and would drive, I'd fly in to Pittsburgh & drive in my kid's van.)

Seven Springs is only an hour away from daughter's apartment but we don't want to schlep back and forth daily. We would rent a condo (but kinda $$$ for what it is, IMO.)

Laurel Mountain is 1 hr 15 min. Blue Knob is a bit further.

Any opinions on those or other nearby resorts and recommended lodging options appreciated!

marzNC

Angel Diva
My daughter just had her 1st ski lesson (finally!) over Xmas break at my local hill (Wilmot.)
She is in Pittsburgh at school and her Spring Break is the week of March 6th. She wants to continue lessons at least one day, perhaps two, and actually get to the point where she could ski some greens with me.

We were thinking of a family trip (her, me, my sister) for a few days (My sister lives in Philly area and would drive, I'd fly in to Pittsburgh & drive in my kid's van.)

Seven Springs is only an hour away from daughter's apartment but we don't want to schlep back and forth daily. We would rent a condo (but kinda $$$ for what it is, IMO.)

Laurel Mountain is 1 hr 15 min. Blue Knob is a bit further.

Any opinions on those or other nearby resorts and recommended lodging options appreciated!
I suggest you take a look at DCSki.com . That regional forum has quite a few people from Pittsburgh, including parents who have been taking the kids skiing in that area for years.

It's not worth the extra driving time to Blue Knob. Not enough snowmaking and pretty slow lifts. Better off with some combination of 7Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly