• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2021-22

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking in progress all over the southeast and MidA this morning! :snow:

Might be more open lifts by the weekend of Dec. 11-12. All depends on how deep the bases can be built up on core trails. So nice that there are so many webcams in the region these days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Lights and snowguns on at Massanutten, Timberline, and Canaan Valley this evening. Looked dark at Wintergreen.

Massanutten could start snowmaking at midnight last night. There was at least a few snowguns that ran in the afternoon from what I could tell from the webcams. They are confident that snow tubing will be open this weekend.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is running the lifts for pass holders on Friday, Dec. 10. Then open for the weekend Dec. 11-12 for everyone.

Will be closed Mon-Fri, hopefully for lot more snowmaking. Idea is to open for the season on Dec. 18.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking happening all over the southeast this week. Idea is to get as much base built before the next warm snap forecast for Christmas weekend.

Massanutten has started blowing on the new beginner trail. The new magic carpet is in place. Looks pretty long. Really going to be nice for beginners to have a dedicated trail with no advanced skiers speeding by.

I stopped by Winterplace on the way home from my Dec trip out west. Not too many trails open yet but everyone who was out seemed to be having a very good time. Although the main lodge is open, 2/3 of the area that usually has tables is closed off. There are a few spaced tables available for people who really want to be indoors to boot up or warm up for a bit.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is moving into the next 50 years with names for the lifts and a few re-named trails. No more Lifts 3, 4, 5, 6. No more Geronimo. Will take a little time to get used to the lift names, although they make perfect sense. The new magic carpet is the Flying Carpet for Meadow. That's where the CBD Terrain Park was for the last decade or so. Geronimo has become Easy Street and is served by the Easy Rider quad. The long green is still Southern Comfort and the lift is Creekside (right along the creek). Lift 5 for Showtime has become the Ridge Triple. Lift 6 to the peak is the Peak quad.

Re-naming trails has happened more than once before at Massanutten. The strength of the slopes has been the ability to adapt to changing times and technologies.

Apparently there were kinks in the first week with RFID lift access, but that's pretty common.

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 2.37.50 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's cold enough in northern VA today for Massanutten, Wintergreen, and Bryce to have some daytime snowmaking. All should be in decent shape fo6r next week based on how deep the bases are for the core trails, even with warmer weather forecast for the weekend, Dec. 25-26.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Cupp Run over on the Western Territories at Snowshoe should be open for the Christmas weekend. Plans are to open it by Friday afternoon, Dec. 24.

People at Winterplace seemed to be having fun yesterday afternoon. Not too many trails open yet, but plenty for beginners. I saw a lot of rental skis. The far side needs several more days of cold weather in order to have enough to start building a base for those trails.

Winterplace 21Dec2021 - 1.jpegWinterplace 21Dec2021 - 2.jpeg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We hit up Montage today for their 2nd day of the season. Two runs on the top of the mountain open, and three down on the North Face. They were blasting snow all day today, so I expect they'll be able to get some more terrain open here soon, hopefully.

marzNC

Angel Diva
West Virginia skiing is open for the holidays. Canaan Valley was able to make enough snow in the past week to open today. Timberline and Snowshoe have been open for a while.

Apparently the WV passport program for 4th or 5th grade students is happening again. The program allows any child in the 4th or 5th grade to ski or snowboard a day for free at each of the four WV ski areas, including Snowshoe.

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 10.16.16 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently Whitetail and Roundtop plan to open on Mon, Dec. 27. Very limited terrain, meaning a blue run and a green run, plus teaching terrain.

No word yet about Liberty.

These are the three former Snowtime resorts that were first sold to Peak Resorts and then ended up on the Epic Northeast pass after the Peak acquisition in 2019. Given that the pandemic started scrambled the 2020-21 season, but there was plenty of snowmaking opportunities in Nov-Dec 2020, it's hard to tell if inability to open by Christmas in 2021 are due more to Mother Nature or staffing issues or management decisions about when to start snowmaking.

Wisp is open with a reasonable number of trails.

Blue Knob only has the beginner triple running. BK has assorted issues with snowmaking infrastructure that the current owners haven't been able to solve since buying it a few years ago.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A random aside, Vail seems to be prioritizing Jack Frost over Big Boulder, which has me a little worried for the longevity of Big Boulder. Peak always prioritized opening Boulder over JF due to fact it's lighted so night skiing, but Vail opened JF prior to Boulder this year. They're also gonna have JF open today and tomorrow, but Boulder is closed both days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A random aside, Vail seems to be prioritizing Jack Frost over Big Boulder, which has me a little worried for the longevity of Big Boulder. Peak always prioritized opening Boulder over JF due to fact it's lighted so night skiing, but Vail opened JF prior to Boulder this year. They're also gonna have JF open today and tomorrow, but Boulder is closed both days.
Given that VR just announced the purchase of the Nutting ski areas/resorts in western PA (7Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain), I think it will take a couple more seasons to really know that the standard approach will be towards early season Epic locations in the mid-Atlantic. Far too many unusual considerations for 2020 and 2021 in terms of the pandemic and warm weather to make any good guesses.

For a while it was unclear what would happen for NASTAR at Roundtop because it didn't exist in 2020-21. But that's back for 2021-22.

However, night hours are not what they used to be for Whitetail. Snowtime pass holders got pretty spoiled paying under $500 for 3 locations and late hours even midweek when there were very few people on the slopes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline has added a Summit Cam. The conditions there today look amazing. Looking forward to getting back there in a few weeks. Especially in comparison to Massanutten where there is just a sliver of snow left on the core trails.

Snowmaking temps don't return until after the holiday period is over. Glad my Massanutten timeshare week happens to be a later week for 2022. All the VA ski resorts will essentially have to start over in terms of building up a base on most of the trails.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowing in Raleigh on Jan. 3. Richmond has 2 inches and is expecting 5 inches. NC mountains got snow starting last night.

How about elsewhere in the SE and PA?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowing in Raleigh on Jan. 3. Richmond has 2 inches and is expecting 5 inches. NC mountains got snow starting last night.

How about elsewhere in the SE and PA?
No snow here in the NW burbs of Philly.

marzNC

Angel Diva
While natural snow is a bonus, the important weather shift is that temps in VA, WV, NC will allow for a lot of snowmaking in the next week. Good timing for me since I'm skiing in VA and WV the week of Jan. 10. :snow:

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the last 10 years, I have been out of town on a ski trip when we've had an appreciable accumulation of snow. The trend continues. Instead of shoveling my front walkway I'm skiing in Steamboat. 12 inches expected today, 22 tomorrow, and more on Thursday. :snow:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
No snow yet here in PA. It's in the forecast for Friday, and temps have been low enough for resorts to blow snow. I saw the report of the roads in VA. People trapped in their cars for 19 hours! What a nightmare!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
. . . I saw the report of the roads in VA. People trapped in their cars for 19 hours! What a nightmare!
I've never understood this. Unlike some other weather events, there's always warning about a storm approaching. Why in the world would you be on the roads if it wasn't absolutely essential?

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I think some people don't take things seriously. And I think maybe VA DOT wasn't as prepared as they should have been. I think I heard Al Roker say they hadn't even pre-salted the roads?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna