• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) news April-Sept 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
Given the uncertainty about the upcoming 2020-21 season because of COVID-19, I'm starting this thread as a place to note news related to ski areas/resorts in the southeast and mid-Atlantic. I know of at least one resort still selling season passes. Ikon, Epic, and the Indy Pass all have locations in at least one of the states in the region. There is actually some lift construction happening in WV at Timberline. I'll also be watching to see when and how resorts re-open for summer activities.

I could imagine that Big SNOW in NJ, Inside Ski in VA, and Liberty Snowflex in VA will manage to re-open at some point this summer.

NC: Sugar, Beech, Appalachian, Cataloochee

VA: Massanutten, Wintergreen, Bryce
MD: Wisp
WV: Snowshoe, Canaan Valley, Winterplace

PA, western: Blue Knob, Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain
PA, closest to DC: Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail
PA, eastern: Elk, Montage, Jack Frost, Blue, Camelback, Bear Creek, Big Boulder

NY Catskills: Belleayre, Hunter, Windham, Plattekill

For the Mid-Atlantic/SE discussion for 2019-20:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...kiing-pa-nj-dc-md-va-wv-nc-for-2019-20.24008/

marzNC

Angel Diva
For the last few seasons, Wisp and Wintergreen have been using "Mission Affordable" as the tagline for there season passes. The two resorts are operated by the same company, RCR. Passholders at Wisp can also ride the lifts at Wintergreen, with an extra fee for Christmas week and Saturdays. Wisp also participates in a Regional Swap program with 7Springs, Hidden Valley, and Laurel Mountain.

Wisp has extended the deadline for the early bird price of $299 to May 3. Sounds like there wasn't a payment plan in the past.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 6.11.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 6.16.40 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe is closed for May. There won't be any large gathering events in June. But sounds like they are hoping to re-open in some fashion for the summer season.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Snowshoe ridiculous pass is available for purchase until May 27. It's $279 and more than pays for itself with two visits if you aren't getting the IKON pass to ski elsewhere. We can only afford to stay local. The pass purchase period usually ends in mid-March but with COVID they are giving folks more time to think about the purchase. Lots of extras thrown in for next season, particularly a $50 walkup buddy ticket that my brother can use when he visits from Florida.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
No idea yet but I am reading articles that we are to expect a second wave similar to the Spanish flu of 1918. Some experts are predicting winter of 20-21 as cold weather seems to exacerbate the situation similar to the flu? No idea. But I am sad to think this will be the case

marzNC

Angel Diva
No idea yet but I am reading articles that we are to expect a second wave similar to the Spanish flu of 1918. Some experts are predicting winter of 20-21 as cold weather seems to exacerbate the situation similar to the flu? No idea. But I am sad to think this will be the case
For topics like that, I'm putting comments and links to articles in a Divas Only thread. I've been doing lots of reading about COVID-19.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/covid-19-going-forward.24796/

Would rather keep this thread for MidA/SE ski resort related news, including summer activities.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bryce didn't change their plans for expanding terrain once the ski season was over. The expansion will benefit mountain bikers and skiers/boarders. Bryce was on Indy so I finally gave it a try when staying at Massanutten. It's a very good little mountain for beginners from DC, or people who are looking for a race program. Must be going something right considering it's been since 1965.

Bryce will be open May 16-17 with COVID safety procedures and guidelines in place.

May 13, MTB Parks
BIKE PARK EXPANSION: Bryce Adds New Territory and New Trails
https://mtbparks.com/Mountain-Bike-...-Bryce-Adds-New-Territory-and-New-Trails.html

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ober Gatlinburg is re-opening the Aerial Tram in time for Memorial Day weekend. The tram ride is 10 minutes, one-way. It's owned and operated by Boyne Resorts, but all the other activities at Ober are owned by other companies.

https://obergatlinburg.com/covid19/
Info as of May 18, 2020

Ober Gatlinburg will be following the guidance of Governor Lee’s Economic Recovery Group by reopening The Aerial Tramway and Mountain Activities on May 22nd. Our top priority is to protect the health and safety of our guests, employees, and community, and we have made changes to our operations to support this goal and follow the Tennessee Pledge to reopen businesses responsibly.
Ober Gatlinburg will be implementing protocols under the guidance of the state government and health organizations that encourage employees and guests to take responsibility for the safety of others around them.
These protocols include:
  • The Aerial Tramway has been retrofitted with spacing barriers to encourage social distancing.
  • Providing a complimentary bottle of hand sanitizer for each Aerial Tramway transaction and each car parking on the mountain to encourage use on property.
  • Mandatory use of masks for food service and janitorial employees.
  • Temperature checks on employees where temperatures of 100.4 degrees or higher must be sent home.
  • Social distancing guidelines for both employees and guests with increased signage.
  • Increased janitorial cleaning.
  • Decreasing points of contact for payments by wiping down card readers with cleaning solution after every purchase and offering hand sanitizer to employees and guests during each transaction.
  • Employees have received training on COVID19 health and safety guidelines.
  • Ober Gatlinburg encourages all its employees and guests to work together to create an environment that follows the recommendations of the state government and health organizations. Ober Gatlinburg will continue to strive to educate employees and guests on health safety protocols while creating a fun environment to enjoy to Gatlinburg.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Beech in the NC mountains will be open in early June for activities like chairlift rides, disc golf, and mountain biking.

Snowshoe is opening up July 2 for summer operations. People willing to stay a full week can book lodging starting mid-June.

marzNC

Angel Diva
From what I've heard, construction at Timberline is making locals in Davis, WV very happy. It's been full steam ahead not only on the two new chairlifts, but also on major reconstruction and renovation of the main lodge.

WV is doing a very good job testing for COVID-19, in fact has one of the highest per capita rates in the country. WV has not only tested in the general population, there was also mass testing of high risk populations such as people living in long-term care facilities. As of early May, official daily stats show that there have been less than 15 COVID-19 patients in ICU, with several days in single digits.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Camelback in the Poconos plans to re-open on June 12. Lodging will be at 35% capacity. The indoor waterpark will be open.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is giving a Family Season Pass a try for 2020-21. The prices for the usual individual season passes went up. The Special Value Pass early bird price was $269 last season. The deadline for discounted rates is August 31, which is a change too. Day ticket prices won't be announced until September.

NEW! 2020-21 Family Season Passes
Massanutten is offering a family pass for 4 immediate family members, ages 6-69 who ski or snowboard - at discounted rates! Family Passes are available for immediate family members, including parent(s) and dependent children. Additional family member passes may be purchased. All family members must choose same pass type, no substitutions available.

Family Pass Prices
Family of 4 Special Value Passes: $1400 | $1120 if purchased by August 31.
Additional Person: $300 | $270 if purchased by August 31.

Family of 4 Full Season Passes: $2050 | $1520 if purchased by August 31.
Additional Person: $400 | $370 if purchased by August 31.

Adult Full Season Pass
$586 | $453 if purchased by August 31.
Unlimited skiing/snowboarding. Valid every day that the slopes are open, no restrictions. Military & Gold Card/Property Owner rates available.

Student Full Season Pass
$511 | $385 if purchased by August 31.
Unlimited skiing/snowboarding for ages 6-18 (also available for ages 18+ with valid College ID). Valid every day that the slopes are open, no restrictions. Gold Card/Property Owner rates available.

Special Value Pass
$398 | $309 if purchased by August 31.
Massanutten's most popular season pass is valid throughout the season, but is restricted until after 4 pm on our busiest days (December 25 - January 1 & Saturdays in January and February). Please see 2020-21 Special Value Calendar for available/restricted days. No Military or Gold Card/Property Owner discounts are available for the Special Value Pass.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Winterplace is doing weekly drawings in July for a package prize that includes lift tickets, lessons, and rentals for two.

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 10.30.50 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Winterplace in WV is joining the Indy Pass.

I haven't been to Winterplace for about 10 years. It's a fun little ski area midweek or during late season. The tubing is good too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking a little more at the Indy Pass line up for the MidA/SE, it could be useful for families in the DC/NoVA area willing to do a little driving to stay overnight for a weekend ski trip. $199 for adults and $99 for kids this season. Or $50 more if want to ski during the black out holiday periods.

Shawnee impressed me as having a good ski school for beginners when I stopped by to look at the base a few years ago. Clearly family-oriented in general. Both Shawnee and Winterplace would be better midweek. If kids are doing school online, perhaps that could work for some families this winter.

SOUTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC

PA: Blue Knob, Shawnee
WV: Canaan Valley, Winterplace
VA: Bryce, Massanutten

NC: Cataloochee
TN: Ober Gatlinburg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ski Center Ltd. has re-opened with limited hours. Looks like Pro-Fit re-opened July 15. Undoubtedly the situation will evolve in the fall.

Ski Center, Ltd is Now Open on Saturdays & Tuesdays!
Saturday 10am-5pm, Tuesday 11am-5pm

As per Montgomery County Regulation and to provide the safest possible experience for all of our customers, we will be implementing the following guidelines. Please follow these guidelines for everyone’s protection.
  1. All customers must wear a face mask inside the store.
  2. No more than 10 customers will be allowed in the store per square footage guidelines.
  3. Please use the provided hand sanitizing solutions before handling any merchandise.
  4. We will be able to accommodate up to 6 boot fitting customers across three designated boot fitting areas.
  5. Markings for social distancing where appropriate.
  6. All high contact services will be sanitized every two hours while customers and employees are present.
  7. Employees will be sanitizing their hands every two hours or more often as appropriate.
  8. We will only be accepting credit or debit cards as payment and all checkout stations will have clear shielding to protect our customers and employees.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The deadline for Massanutten season passes at the lowest price is August 31. The options include the new Family Pass. There are several cut-off dates between now and the end of Feb 2021. SkiSoutheast needed a pretty long article to cover the options completely. Can get a full refund if decide before Nov. 1 to skip the season. Or can defer to 2021/22 ski if not used at all.

Glad I happened to notice. Usually I don't bother to even think about which Mnut pass makes the most sense until Sept or Oct. I'm guessing Mnut will have a reservation system to help limit capacity on busier days. I may well go for a Full Season Pass since I can get an owner's discount as a timeshare owner at Mnut. My friends with kids may be up for more overnight ski trips if they are doing online school in the winter too.

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 12.41.09 PM.png

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna