• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2019-20

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wisp and Wintergreen are doing a 4-pack for $189. Both are operated by Pacific Group Resorts (also Ragged). The only difference between the deals is that the deadline for the current price for Wisp is Nov. 24, instead of Dec. 2 for Wintergreen.

Since Massanutten and Bryce are part of the new Indy Pass, can get 2 days each at those two places for $199. For folks in the DC/NoVA willing to drive a little farther, can also get 2 days each at Canaan Valley and Blue Knob. Since I'm in NC, I'm going to use the Indy Pass at Cataloochee and Massanutten for sure. Hoping to check out Bryce and CV doing a day trip from Mnut in January.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 1.09.29 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just a few more ski swaps before the season really gets going in the Mid-Atlantic.

Nov 17, 2019: Pro-Fit Ski Swap, Leesburg, VA - benefits Whitetail Ski Patrol
Nov. 29, 2019: Wintergreen Ski Swap, VA - benefits Wintergreen Ski Patrol
Dec. 7-8, 2019: Cataloochee Ski Swap, Maggie Valley, NC

I'm going to spend a few days at Massanutten soon. Hoping to see snow guns on during the daytime! Look for a Meet On The Hill (MOTH) thread if you want to chat about skiing in person.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bryce created a whole bunch of snow whales in the last 36 hours. It's on the Indy Pass so I'm hoping to check it on this season when I'm staying at Massanutten.

Nov. 14, around noon
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 11.54.54 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Who’s brave, crazy, or need the fix enough?
Well, if I had a Peak Pass or Epic Pass and lived within an hour of Roundtop, I might wander over. Probably wouldn't pay for a day ticket though.

I made an extra effort (left home at 5am) to ski on opening day at Mnut a few years ago on a Friday morning. I was on my way north and unexpectedly Mnut decided to open that week. Since I met up with a friend from DC, we had a great time together for a couple hours. Then I drove to eastern PA where I planned to spend the night a month or two in advance. I was on my way to Boston to pick up my daughter for winter break. Skied at Montage and Belleayre with a few Divas that weekend before heading east into Massachusetts. That's what a retired "ski nut" who lives in the southeast does sometimes. :becky:

Friday, Dec. 15, 2017, Upper Showtime off Lift 5
Massanutten 15Dec2017 - 4.jpgMassanutten 15Dec2017 - 3.jpg

HikenSki

Angel Diva
We booked Snowshoe for Black Friday thru Sunday. The whale sightings have us going crazy with anticipation. We found a nice place to stay for a good price. We have season passes so not worried about day rates. Will be the earliest we've ever gone skiing. If snow is crap, well we will be lumps on a different couch with a different fire place and sunset views. LOL. We always spend Black Friday putting up holiday decorations and eating leftovers. Guess that will have to wait till the next weekend. :ski: #OptOutside

marzNC

Angel Diva
We booked Snowshoe for Black Friday thru Sunday.
@Olesya Chornoguz went to Snowshoe over Thanksgiving weekend for a few years. Always had a good time. And that was before the recent improvements to snowmaking. I'll be interested to see if Silver Creek is open too. Have heard snowmaking has started over there too.

Given that Snowshoe is Alterra's only location in the Mid-Atlantic and draws from the southeast and a few midwest cities too, I'm sure they want to make early season skiing as impressive as possible.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
@Olesya Chornoguz went to Snowshoe over Thanksgiving weekend for a few years. Always had a good time. And that was before the recent improvements to snowmaking. I'll be interested to see if Silver Creek is open too. Have heard snowmaking has started over there too.
We’ve been surprised how much they are blowing at Silver Creek. I seem to recall in previous years they ran into limits on how much they could make at once. I’m thinking it had to do with power. It is certainly not due to lack of water. I don’t recall seeing so many guns on at once before. Really hoping for good snow. If anything, it will be a nice few days away before the hectic December month and holiday travels.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bryce will be open this weekend!

Massanutten announced Nov. 22 as the special opening for season passholders and property owners. Then open the weekend before and after Thanksgiving. That's the earliest opening date ever. The first season was close to 50 years ago.

Not sure what's going on at Wintergreen. Very little snowmaking so far.

marzNC

Angel Diva
SkiPA is starting to send out emails. Below are the first openings of the season in PA. Have heard that Roundtop will have two runs open from the top of Minuteman.

@AltaEgo : you still teaching at Roundtop?

"Season Opening Date & Holiday Hours
For starters, Big Boulder is kicking off the season Friday, November 15 with $30 lift tickets beginning at 3 p.m. with two runs and two lifts, Bear Creek Mountain will also open Friday offering $20 lift tickets from 4 p.m. – 10 p.m., Roundtop Mountain is opening on Saturday, Nov. 16 and Blue Mountain Resort will open Saturday, November 16 with six runs and two lifts."

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC I think Cataloochee has been on the first to open race for many years. At least competition with other NC areas like Beech and Sugar. Basically everyone I saw today was a season pass holder, probably not worth using a day on a multi pass for limited early season opening.

Still got there and enjoyed gliding on snow this morning. Basically two runs open with manmade snow but still it was fun! Got the snow fix!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC I think Cataloochee has been on the first to open race for many years. At least competition with other NC areas like Beech and Sugar. Basically everyone I saw today was a season pass holder, probably not worth using a day on a multi pass for limited early season opening.

Still got there and enjoyed gliding on snow this morning. Basically two runs open with manmade snow but still it was fun! Got the snow fix!
Yep, Cat is always in the hunt for the title of First to Open among the NC ski areas. What's cool is that this year they were getting mentioned on national snow-related media outlets. I think Cat joining the Indy Pass is related to the increased exposure.

In general opening days make more sense for season passholders. But the day ticket price is usually pretty low, so can be fun for some who just can wait to make a few turns.

I had a ball checking out Bryce this morning. I'm at Massanutten this weekend for other reasons, but it was worth digging out ski gear to be at an opening day. One blue run open off the shorter lift. Plus the longer magic carpet. The quad to the top was being used for mountain biking! Used the Indy Pass since I don't expect to get to Bryce more than 2 days this winter. A day ticket was $25. Will do a trip report eventually.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that skiing has started in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, VA), thought it might be good to copy over the list from the Where Do You Ski thread.

Mid-Atlantic:
Ski Sine Fine:
Liberty, Whitetail, Massanutten, Breck, Keystone, Copper, Taos, IKON + Epic + Peak
BlizzardBabe: Massanutten, Liberty, Whitetail, Snowshoe, (Aspen - Dec.), (Steamboat - Mar), (Red Mtn. BC - Mar) (IKON & Peak)
MarzNC: Massanutten (Jan), Alta (Apr) - Ikon mountains
@LauraVa : Massanutten
@Tryin2Ski : Massanutten
tinymoose: Montage, Jack Frost, Blue (PA)
Maylin: Liberty, Whitetail, Seven Springs.

@Marigee works Ski Patrol at Whitetail. @AltaEgo is an instructor at Roundtop.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The list for skiing around the MidA/SE (PA, WV, VA, NC) the weekend before Thanksgiving seems longer than usual. Just heard that 7Springs and Hidden Valley plan to open, which is good for folks in Pittsburgh. In eastern PA, the list seems to include Roundtop, Blue, Big Boulder, and Bear Creek. Snowshoe has had Nov. 22 on the Ikon Open/Close webpage for a while and has stuck to it even though they've been making snow for a few weeks. In NC, Sugar, Cataloochee, and App are already open midweek. Massanutten will open to the public on Nov. 23, after a few hours welcoming property owners and season passholders on Friday afternoon. Bryce was open last weekend and will still only charge $25 next weekend.

There are always deals for early season, but it's new to be considering how a multi-resort pass might be worth having for this region if interested in skiing before the holiday weeks. Snowshoe is on Ikon as unlimited since it's owned by Alterra. Roundtop and Big Boulder are on the Epic Pass after the buy out of Peak Resorts. Hunter is another option for Epic/Peak if willing to drive a little farther north from DC/Philly. The Indy Pass includes Cat and Mnut.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Super excited for our Snowshoe visit on Black Friday weekend! Sounds like they are going to have a decent selection of terrain open to get your ski legs back. LOL. Warm days and below freezing nights means some good freeze thaw cycles ahead. Sucks to have ice but they need those layers built up to defend against the unpredictable Mid-Atlantic winter weather.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Super excited for our Snowshoe visit on Black Friday weekend! Sounds like they are going to have a decent selection of terrain open to get your ski legs back. LOL. Warm days and below freezing nights means some good freeze thaw cycles ahead. Sucks to have ice but they need those layers built up to defend against the unpredictable Mid-Atlantic winter weather.
Looks to me like you might even see some snow from clouds after Thanksgiving Day. :becky:

At least daytime temps should be warm enough for the surface to soften a bit. At Bryce last Saturday it was pretty solid when they opened at 10:00 and it was still in the low 30s. Was much better by 11:00 when things had softened up.

Will be watching to see how much of Silver Creek is open the first week. I fully expect the Western Territories to be open given all the good snowmaking weather lately plus all the snowmaking improvements over the last couple years.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any idea what Snowshoe plans to open? Usually they name a bunch of trails that are really just one long trail together and its a mess....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly