• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2019-20

marzNC

Angel Diva
I believe the Epic pass benefits refer to buddy tickets, ski-with-a-friend tickets, and discounts at some resorts. The Peak pass benefits are probably referring to lodging discounts at select resorts. So, if I understand correctly, when you exchange your Peak pass for an Epic pass, you don’t get to use the Epic buddy tickets or ski-with-a-friend tickets at the Peak resorts until the 20/21 season, and you also lose the discount lodging at select Peak resorts. Essentially, the only thing you can do with an Epic pass at a Peak resort is unlimited, unrestricted skiing for yourself. Which is A-Okay.
Makes sense. Finally read the rest of the FAQ. It states very clearly that "There are five Epic Products that will provide skiing and riding access to the 17 Peak Resorts ski areas" and then lists the five explicitly. Even includes the Epic Australia Pass. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
There seems to be an annual ski swap in Baltimore that's unrelated to a ski shop. Seems to be related to a group that does consignment sales of stuff for kids.

Oct. 5-6, 2019: Alpine Ski Shop, Sterling, VA - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol
Oct. 11-20, 2019: Appalachian Pre-Season Sale and Swap, Boone, NC
Oct. 16-19, 2019: Buckman's Tent Sale, King of Prussia, Montgomeryville, Reading, Whitehall, PA
Nov. 2, 2019: Baltimore Ski & Snowboard Swap, Towson, MD
Nov. 2-3, 2019: Freestyle Ski Swap, Charlottesville, VA
Nov. 2-3, 2019: Alpine Ski Shop, Sterling, VA - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol
Nov 17, 2019: Pro-Fit Ski Swap, Leesburg, VA - benefits Whitetail Ski Patrol
Nov. 29, 2019: Wintergreen Ski Swap, VA - benefits Wintergreen Ski Patrol
Dec. 7-8, 2019: Cataloochee Ski Swap, Maggie Valley, NC

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 12.13.24 AM.png

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Adding Alpina's tent sale (which includes consignment items):

Oct. 11-14, 2019: Alpina Ski Shop, White Haven, PA (by Jack Frost)
Oct. 16-19, 2019: Buckman's Tent Sale, King of Prussia, Montgomeryville, Reading, Whitehall, PA

marzNC

Angel Diva
The only ski swap I've bought skis and boots at was the Ski Haus in Annapolis. That was the first gear I bought for my daughter, back about 10 years ago. We went to visit a friend who lived near Annapolis at the time that weekend. Helped that there were knowledgeable staff from the shop to help with the process of picking out gear.

Adding Ski Haus on Oct. 5, Liberty swap that goes into the Fall Fest Oct. 18, and Whitetail swap that benefits Whitetail Ski Patrol on Oct. 26-27.

Oct. 5, 2019: Ski Haus, Annapolis, MD
Oct. 17-18, 2019: Liberty Swap & Fall Fest, Carroll Valley, PA (near DC)
Oct. 26-27, 2019: Whitetail Swap, Mercersburg, PA (near DC) - benefits Whitetail Ski Patrol

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Liberty swap has two sale days, plus drop off days beforehand. Always good to check on the details for a swap directly if you are thinking of selling something.

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 7.57.32 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Decided to look up Roundtop, the last of the former Snowtime locations bought by Peak Resorts in 2018, and now part of VR and the Epic pass. The swap is part of Oktoberfest on Nov. 2, which also includes Cyclocross.

Oct. 26-27, 2019: Whitetail Swap, Mercersburg, PA (near DC) - benefits Whitetail Ski Patrol
Nov. 2, 2019: Roundtop Swap during Oktoberfest, Lewisberry, PA (near Harrisonburg)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Beech is getting ready to sell season passes. $425 starting Oct. 7. Passholders get to ride a lift for an hour before the general public on non-holiday weekends and during the two end-of-year holiday weeks. That's a few feature I hadn't noticed before.

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 5.25.19 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ober Gatlinburg and Shawnee (in PA Ponocos) were added to the Indy Pass. Nice to see the list on Indy for the SE/MidA growing, considering there hasn't been a multi-state pass before.

Blue Knob, PA
Shawnee, PA
Canaan Valley, WV
Massanutten, VA
Bryce, VA
Cataloochee, NC
Ober Gatlinburg, TN

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe pass prices go up after Oct. 16. Makes sense since Ikon prices go up Oct. 17.

There is still a separate Snowshoe pass, which is less than Ikon Base. Not much of a discount for 70+ though. The Primo Pass add-on is only available for Ikon passholders and the number will be limited. Not sure how that worked last season, which was the first season for Ikon and Alterra ownership of Snowshoe.

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 11.11.52 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten has an annual swap, but has only recently gotten better about letting people know. It's on Oct. 19 and benefits the Mnut Ski & Snowboard Team. The parents of team members also do the lunch grill as a fund raiser at mid-mountain on weekends once the season gets going.

Going to keep the past dates on the list for future reference.

Oct. 19, 2019: Massanutten Ski & Snowboard Swap, Massanutten, VA (near Harrisonburg)
Nov. 2, 2019: Roundtop Swap during Oktoberfest, Lewisberry, PA (near Harrisonburg)

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 10.19.07 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe is obviously trying to get people excited about early season skiing. Just announced an Early Season Pass for $109, all ages, good 11/22 thru 12/25/19. Of course with the caveat that the actual opening date is weather permitting.

Snowshoe moved portable snow guns out of storage today. There is a a major cold front headed to the southeast with overnight temps reaching the 30s in the next week.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 11.45.28 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even as they focus on the fall color events in October, Beech and Sugar are gearing up for the ski season with pretty major upgrades that will be quite noticeable well before Christmas week. Beech has added snowmaking capabilities in multiple ways, from a new pump house to an increased water supply. Sugar has replaced an old, slow double for beginners with a detachable quad. Together with more automated snowmaking on a wider trail, the novices will have much better conditions, much earlier.

Beech Mountain Resort Unveils Major Snowmaking and Lighting Improvements - Oct 2019

Sugar Mountain Resort Celebrates its First 50 Years and Installs a New High-Speed, Detachable Chairlift for Beginners

Hopefully there will be enough cold weather starting in mid-Nov that it will be worth the drive over to Banner Elk when I'm planning on staying a few days in the Asheville area before picking up my daughter for winter break. Haven't skied in NC for about ten years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is really pushing to sell season passes. For those who can get there in person on Oct. 19 during the Mnut ski swap, it's quite a deal. The price for an Adult pass will be $385, while the Early Bird price until Nov. 30 is $428. The Special Value Pass that's good Sun-Fri is $269 until Nov. 30, so getting a discounted full pass is almost breakeven after one Saturday.

I'm going to ski at Mnut in January. Be interesting to see if it feels more crowded or not with these discounts plus the Indy Pass.

"For one day only, we will be offering an additional 10% OFF THE FULL SEASON ADULT & FULL SEASON STUDENT PASS beyond the existing 10% early discount. Plus, receive two 50% OFF Slope-Use vouchers with purchase of ANY ski season pass.

To receive the discount, you must purchase your 2019-20 Ski Season Pass in person on Saturday, October 19 between 9 am and 2 pm at the Ski Office. Pass discount only available for in-person purchases at Massanutten Ski Office. Online and phone purchases not available for additional discount. 10% OFF Full Season Pass Special does not apply to Special Value, Full Season Gold Card, Full Season Military, or Race Team passes."

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Massanutten is really pushing to sell season passes. For those who can get there in person on Oct. 19 during the Mnut ski swap, it's quite a deal. The price for an Adult pass will be $385, while the Early Bird price until Nov. 30 is $428. The Special Value Pass that's good Sun-Fri is $269 until Nov. 30, so getting a discounted full pass is almost breakeven after one Saturday.

I'm going to ski at Mnut in January. Be interesting to see if it feels more crowded or not with these discounts plus the Indy Pass.

"For one day only, we will be offering an additional 10% OFF THE FULL SEASON ADULT & FULL SEASON STUDENT PASS beyond the existing 10% early discount. Plus, receive two 50% OFF Slope-Use vouchers with purchase of ANY ski season pass.

To receive the discount, you must purchase your 2019-20 Ski Season Pass in person on Saturday, October 19 between 9 am and 2 pm at the Ski Office. Pass discount only available for in-person purchases at Massanutten Ski Office. Online and phone purchases not available for additional discount. 10% OFF Full Season Pass Special does not apply to Special Value, Full Season Gold Card, Full Season Military, or Race Team passes."
Bought my discounted Massanutten pass today, it also included 2 vouchers for 1/2 price tickets which was another big bonus. I'm living only 14 minutes from the slopes now and have a beautiful view of the peak from our front window. Getting excited!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bought my discounted Massanutten pass today, it also included 2 vouchers for 1/2 price tickets which was another big bonus. I'm living only 14 minutes from the slopes now and have a beautiful view of the peak from our front window. Getting excited!
Cool! Congrats on the move!

I'll be picking up a Special Value Pass when I get to Mnut in early Jan. Going to use the Indy Pass for the two Saturdays I'll be there.

That reminds me, it's about time to check with Freestyle about the date for the January Demo Weekend. I'm hoping it's Jan. 11-12 because I'll be around on Jan. 11 for sure.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Although it's unlikely there will be lifts running for 2019-20, it sounds like Timberline in WV may finally get a new owner.

Oct. 19, 2019, WV Gazette
Timberline sale expected by late November

Canaan Valley is part of the Indy Pass. Since I got Indy to use at Massanutten on Saturdays, I may make it out to Davis, WV for a day trip to check out CV. Stayed at the CV Lodge a few years ago in early January with another Diva, but we skied at Timberline after a snowstorm dropped a few inches. Terrain seemed interesting but the old lifts were very slow and made for a long ride to the top.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Still a few swaps left in the DC/NoVA region, plus Cat in the NC mountains. Anyone go and find a good deal at an October swap?

I'm hoping to get to Cat on Dec. 8. Will be watching to see what they start snowmaking. Usually one of the first in NC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly