• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hubs and I got back from two days at Wisp in Western Maryland. . . .
Sounds like quite a fun late season trip! Hoping to get to Wisp one of these days.

I kept thinking back to how much fun I had on the stiffer Kore W 93s I demoed in the same conditions last month.
I demo'd the Kore W 99 yesterday. Hard pack conditions at Sunapee. Really fun!

Very glad I had my warm weather wax on.
As we get into late season, I'm quite glad I invested in DPS Phantom for my AJs and BPs that I'll use for spring skiing was it warms up. Have skied 17 days on the AJs in the northeast and Massanutten this season, plus about 20 last season. Nice not to have to think about waxing, especially for trips to the northeast.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Sounds like quite a fun late season trip! Hoping to get to Wisp one of these days.

As we get into late season, I'm quite glad I invested in DPS Phantom for my AJs and BPs that I'll use for spring skiing was it warms up.
Wisp is a fun small resort. It was worth the $112 we paid for two 2-day passes. I much prefer the longer blues of Whitetail. The blacks at Wisp, while short, are a nice challenge. Particularly "The Face" because it is too steep to groom and often has good sized bumps on it, icey sections if it has been cold, and is variable enough it requires keeping your wits about you otherwise you become entertainment for the lodge guests directly below who have a front row view to your adventure. :-D The greens tend to be nice and long, so are good for cruising and working on drills. It was fun to see how runs just five or so years ago were so intimidating and now, while not easy, are much more manageable and a bit less harrowing.

Phantom is certainly something to consider but I am not sure if I will keep my skis longer than two years. I don't mind waxing them myself. I find the process therapeutic and seeing the end product makes me happy. :-)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Drove thru eastern PA this morning on the way to NC. It was snowing briefly around Wilkes-Barre.

Snow was in the forecast for Massanutten tonight. A friend from NC skied at Wintergreen today. Had fun but it was on the warm side. In the low 50s when I was in Harrisonburg at lunch time.

Lots of special activities this weekend. Will still be some skiing next weekend, March 23-24, but that will probably be the end of the season in VA at least.

Snowshoe may make it past March 24.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Skied at Roundtop this afternoon! Coverage was still pretty good, but there were certainly bare spots to be found. Classic spring skiing conditions.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I'm itching for one last day around here. Hoping maybe can take Friday and find some snow. Hubs and I laughed that some areas will still be skiing another full length Mid-Atlantic season till they close. Sigh...the joys of weather coast skiing.
Guess it's time to accept the warmer weather and move on to backpacking, cycling, and motorcycle track days...

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I heard that the ex Snow Time resorts might be closing during the week, so definitely check before you go! I’m dreaming of another spring skiing getaway to Banff in May!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I heard that the ex Snow Time resorts might be closing during the week, so definitely check before you go! I’m dreaming of another spring skiing getaway to Banff in May!
Looks like Liberty is only one open for the week unless I venture over to Snowshoe and spend the night. The itch is so bad...

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Argh! I overslept and didn’t get to Liberty until after 10am. The backside was already slushy, choppy, and full of mash potatoes. The BP88s came through tho! They performed just as I hoped, cutting through the crud and feeling very stable. It was still a lot of work, going slow and shopping for turns, but I wasn’t thrown around like when I was on the AJs. Of course I am comparing to end of last season and my skills have improved so it’s possible I can manage now even with the AJs. Wasn’t interested to find out tho, too much fun on the BP88s. My legs got tired after an hour and I moved to the west-facing frontside (where slush was minmal) and spent another hour there working on techniques and just skiing. There is still plenty of snow, but definitely very slushy very quickly on the backside blues.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The BP88s came through tho! They performed just as I hoped, cutting through the crud and feeling very stable. It was still a lot of work, going slow and shopping for turns, but I wasn’t thrown around like when I was on the AJs. Of course I am comparing to end of last season and my skills have improved so it’s possible I can manage now even with the AJs. Wasn’t interested to find out tho, too much fun on the BP88s.
Fun is the goal!

I just skied my AJs in soft snow, as well as other skis that were wider. Wider is more fun in soft spring crud. Especially with Phantom-treated bases.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently conditions are still quite good at Snowshoe. Regulars are saying that the enhanced snowmaking on the Western Territory clearly is making a difference in terms of how much base remains. Shays and Cupp still have side-to-side coverage.

The forecast is calling for snow at Snowshoe later this week. Could be quite fun this weekend, March 23-24.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I saw that chance for snow on Friday! Looks really nice over there for this time of year. Very tempted to head over Fri-Sat but because I will be doing a lot of driving around WV next week for work, I'm kinda not feeling the 4+hr drive to get there and then turn around and come back the next day. We usually do 3-4 days when we visit. Now, if the DH wants to skip work on Friday and go with me, I might change my mind. :-)
The warmer weather and daffodils have gotten me excited about my warm weather activities, especially having just purchased a new backpack for summer overnight trips. Also got my eye on a new lightweight hammock as well...

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Awesome! Dang! I was planning on heading to Roundtop for another lesson, but maybe I should go West!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Awesome! Dang! I was planning on heading to Roundtop for another lesson, but maybe I should go West!
From what I've read on DCSki, the coverage off Lift 6 at Mnut was quite good last week. I expect the same to be true for Wintergreen. I know someone who is planning a day trip from Durham to Wintergreen this weekend. The high speed lift for Highlands can mean more time on snow. Although conditions at Roundtop this weekend should be pretty nice too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly