• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
Didn't really notice last season, but Massanutten has shifted their lesson offerings. I knew the Silver Clinic for Over 50 was discontinued, but didn't realize the Ladies Clinic is also gone. Understandable because there were very few people who took advantage of those 2-hr clinics. They were a very good deal with very good instructors.

My friend, JF, who started skiing when her kids did five years ago has done quite a few Adv. Beg/Intermediate clinics. Usually at least one per ski long weekend. Her kids usually do a clinic the first ski weekend. I had my daughter do the 90-min clinic when that's what was offered when she was a tween and still an intermediate (advanced at Alta by age 11). The late afternoon clinic is rarely that busy. An intermediate can end up with a solo lesson with one of the more experienced instructors, even my coach Walter does clinics for adult intermediates if he's available.

For 2018-19 here is what Mnut is offering.

Adv. Beginner and Intermediate
2-hr clinics starting at noon and 5pm, $50

Private lessons (single, price per additional student)
1.25 hr: $100 + 60
2.50 hrs: $180 + 110
3.75 hrs: $240 + 150
5 hrs: $280 + 180

I did a semi-private 2.5 hr lesson with a friend last season with Peter Stransky, the resident Examiner. We covered a range of fundamentals starting on green terrain and moving to Showtime, the main blue. It was a great refresher for me and showed my friend where his weaknesses were. I'm solid advanced at this point (8 of 9) and my friend is probably a step down with some clear bad habits on steeper terrain. He learned as an adult. I met him in a Silver Clinic a few years ago. This season he's joining me and a few Divas for a Taos Ski Week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Only highlighting changes when I update the list. At this point, I've dropped any sales that haven't been updated for 2018 yet. The Buckman's locations are in King of Prussia, Montgomeryville, Reading, Whitehall, and Exton.

Sept. 23, 2018: Pro-Fit Leesburg - benefits Whitetail Ski Patrol
Sept. 28-30, 2018: Dilly at Sun and Ski in Falls Church
Sept. 28-30, 2018: Driftland in Davis, WV, (Challenged Athletes of WV)

Oct. 6, 2018: Ski Haus in Annapolis
Oct. 6-7, 2018: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol

Oct. 10-13, 2018: Buckman's at all five locations
Oct. 13-14, 2018: Liberty Mountain Fall Fest has a swap
Oct. 27, 2018: Whitetail Festival Ski and Board Swap

Oct. 28, 2018, 8am-3pm: Ski Center LTD - for Liberty Mountain Ski Patrol

Nov. 3-4, 2018: Freestyle in Charlottesville
Nov. 3-4, 2018: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol
Nov. 3-4, 2018: Roundtop Fall Fest has new and used gear
Nov. 7-10, 2018: Buckman's at all five locations

Nov. 18, 2018: Pro-Fit Leesburg - benefits Whitetail Ski Patrol
Nov. 23, 2018: Wintergreen swap - benefits Wintergreen Ski Patrol

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Is anyone attending the Liberty Mountain Fall Fest this weekend? I'd love to meet up! I wanted to go to the Ski Haus Ltd ski swap at the end of the September, but ended up adopting a dog instead. I also learned where Massanutten resort is!

marzNC

Angel Diva
A little bit of a drive for Mid-A folks but there were snowflakes at Plattekill this weekend. Apparently there was a wedding happening. Hope the wedding party included some gung ho skiers.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I see Snowshoe opens 11/21. How many and what kind of trails can be expected realistically, say, the week after thanksgiving?
Too soon to predict. In past years, the range has been from 2-4 trails off 1-2 lifts to much more because there was enough snowmaking temps by early November. With the addition over the summer of many more snow guns for the Western Territories and elsewhere, all that's needed is week of cold nights and a few cold days for a good base to be established.

@Olesya Chornoguz went to Snowshoe at Thanksgiving for a few years when she was living in Columbia. Perhaps she'll stop by.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Do tell . . . what's the story?

I stopped at the Motel 6 in Harrisonburg since it made sense for my journey. And signs everywhere pointed to Massanutten resort. I was completely unaware that I was in the area. And now I know! Not a bad drive from Baltimore at all.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, they've made some very significant upgrades to snowmaking for this year. I'm not sure we can possibly know... but I did really enjoy Snowshoe last March. Enough that we're going back. :smile:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see Snowshoe opens 11/21. How many and what kind of trails can be expected realistically, say, the week after thanksgiving?
I have probably taken 4 trips to Snowshoe over Thanksgiving over the yeas after I learned to ski and we lived in MD/DC area. Two of the trips conditions were amazing because there was a Thanksgiving snowstorm and Snowshoe had maybe 4-5 top to bottom trail routes open. Two of the trips were ok with 1 or 2 top to bottom trail routes because the weather wasn't cooperating but there was enough man-made snow for at least one top to bottom trail. Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving can get a little crowded on slopes, but not too bad. The trails that are open initially are green and maybe 1 blue. If there is a lot of natural snow and cold enough for snowmaking they will open one short black and a few blue slopes plus several green trails. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I stopped at the Motel 6 in Harrisonburg since it made sense for my journey. And signs everywhere pointed to Massanutten resort. I was completely unaware that I was in the area. And now I know! Not a bad drive from Baltimore at all.
I've stayed at that Motel 6. Not for ski trips, but on the way south when getting all the way to NC isn't practical. After it was renovated a few years ago, worked out well when arriving late and leaving early.

Takes about 20 min to get to Massanutten from the area around the the I-81 exit for US33. When there is snow, US33 gets cleared ASAP. Inside the resort, there are pickups with snowplows running all night to keep those the main roads and parking lots as clear as possible. I've seen them work first-hand during a few of the major snowstorms in the last decade.

Early Feb 2010 Massanutten Trip Report - drove the 4WD pickup, powder skiing
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/tr-massanutten-feb-3-epic-snowstorm.9096/

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Any thoughts or experiences on early season skiing in PA or VA? What resorts might possibly have decent conditions?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any thoughts or experiences on early season skiing in PA or VA? What resorts might possibly have decent conditions?
Whitetail usually was the first to open and have a long green initially, it can get crowded on weekends though. Roundtop is usually the least crowded when it opens. I don't live in DC area anymore though. Ski resorts near Philly that open first are usually Big Boulder and Blue Mountain, Big Boulder is rather small and Blue has decent vertical even early season, but can get really crowded.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe has a "3 For All" pass at $149 that is only sold at selected locations in Oct-Nov. Mostly REI and a few ski shops that have multiple locations. This weekend, includes locations in Pittsburgh and Ohio. In addition to REI in Pittsburgh, have heard they will also be available at Pittsburgh Southside Works 11am to 4pm.

The locations selling 3 For All include PA, OH, VA, WV, SC, NC, TN and even Peter Glenn in GA and FL. That feels different than before the Snowshoe was owned by Alterra. I would guess that there is also info about Ikon at the places selling 3 For All. If someone isn't interested for this season, could be a way to get them to check out Snowshoe and consider Ikon for next season. That allows Alterra to tap into markets that can't be touched by Vail Resort's Epic pass. There are plenty of people who drive 6-10 hours for an annual long weekend at Snowshoe, and they stay in resort lodging. That includes families.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Discovered that there is a mid-week pass for seniors 65 and up for 2018-19 that's good at Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop. The price is $199 until Oct. 31. For another $129 it's possible to upgrade to a Peak Pass. That seems like quite a deal for seniors willing to do some driving from DC to Hunter and/or Mount Snow.

Last edited:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Does anyone have experience with Whitetail’s women’s program? Can they really handle skiers at different levels, or are they die-hards who ski fast & aggressively and I won’t be able to keep up?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does anyone have experience with Whitetail’s women’s program? Can they really handle skiers at different levels, or are they die-hards who ski fast & aggressively and I won’t be able to keep up?
Whitetail has a pretty strong ski school from what I know. I would be very surprised if they put women of different ability levels into the same group for a multi-day program. Certainly should not be just one group. Probably worth a phone call to chat with the ski school. Nice that it can be once a week or Sat&Sun for those willing to stay overnight for a few weekends.

Have you done a multi-day/week lesson program before?

When I was demo'ing Stöckli skis at Whitetail a few years ago, there were a couple of female instructors checking out the carvers. Certainly sounded knowledgeable when it came to assessing ski performance.

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 5.55.45 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
For intermediate or advanced adult skiers who ski at Whitetail, the Edge 2 Edge 5-lesson program sounds like it could be pretty good. Taught by Level 3 instructors.

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.00.33 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
As the cooler weather approaches, there are several more ski swaps in the MidA in November. Note the ones that benefit a ski patrol. Even paid ski patrol can use extra money for new equipment.

Nov. 3-4, 2018: Freestyle in Charlottesville
Nov. 3-4, 2018: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol
Nov. 3-4, 2018: Roundtop Fall Fest has new and used gear
Nov. 7-10, 2018: Buckman's at all five locations (eastern PA)
Nov. 18, 2018: Pro-Fit Leesburg - benefits Whitetail Ski Patrol
Nov. 23, 2018: Wintergreen swap - benefits Wintergreen Ski Patrol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna