• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
Whitetail has a 3-lesson package deal for never-ever or true beginners that includes a pair of Elan skis after the lessons are over. Cataloochee has done something similar but required 5 lessons.

There is a day bus from DC to Whitetail on Saturdays in Jan-Feb, and a few Sundays. I did the day bus to Wintergreen a few times from the NC Triangle area. Not a bad way to go if you don't have anyone to drive with.

https://www.sourcedadventures.com/adventures/whitetail-day-trip-from-dc/

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 9.38.55 AM.png

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
So I emailed Whitetail and they emailed back a registration form. They separate groups into:

First Timer – New to the sport and enthusiastic about learning
Beginner – can ride chairlift, making turns on green (N. Lights & Velvet)
Intermediate – comfortable on Snowpark, making turns on Blue Trails
Advanced – comfortable on Blue Trails, willing to move to Black Trails

So I’d fall into the Intermediate group. I also asked about any make-up sessions. The program is 5 weeks and the sixth week is a make-up.

Edit: this is the Women on Whitetail program.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
First Timer – New to the sport and enthusiastic about learning
Beginner – can ride chairlift, making turns on green (N. Lights & Velvet)
Intermediate – comfortable on Snowpark, making turns on Blue Trails
Advanced – comfortable on Blue Trails, willing to move to Black Trails
Interesting Sidewinder isn’t mentioned. Arguably it’s the green run that gets the most use. Snowpark is also marked green, but it feels twice as steep as N. Lights & Velvet. There is a tiny section by Snowpark that is blue but is often closed for lack of snow. Because of the jump in steepness on Snowpark, I haven’t got enough nerve to go up and try more blues. People tell me a black here is like a blue out west. I had no problems doing blues at Breckenridge (wide trails and soft snow probably helped), yet can’t get up enough courage to ride the chair up to the top at Whitetail.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting Sidewinder isn’t mentioned. Arguably it’s the green run that gets the most use. Snowpark is also marked green, but it feels twice as steep as N. Lights & Velvet. There is a tiny section by Snowpark that is blue but is often closed for lack of snow. Because of the jump in steepness on Snowpark, I haven’t got enough nerve to go up and try more blues. People tell me a black here is like a blue out west. I had no problems doing blues at Breckenridge (wide trails and soft snow probably helped), yet can’t get up enough courage to ride the chair up to the top at Whitetail.
It's always harder to try new terrain without an instructor or a friend who is a better skier who knows the trail. Especially on a busy weekend if that's when you are skiing Whitetail. One approach is to get out as early as possible, do a run on a green and then head up the lift to a blue before the line has grown. With overnight grooming, the first hour is fine on MidA slopes before the groomed surface gets pushed around and/or scraped off.

By the way, also possible to have groomed trails that get slick by the afternoon at destination resorts out west. Have been on slick blue groomers at Snowbird and Sun Valley. One reason to invest money and practice time to improve technique in order to ski more off-piste is to open up terrain options. Applies just as much at a small hill with <100 acres as it does to a destination resort with >1000 acres.

marzNC

Angel Diva
App has decided to give a volunteer Mountain Host program a try. Could have as many as 20 if they get enough volunteers.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 8.56.46 PM.png

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's pretty good, not just skiing for yourself, but a season pass for the spouse too, for only 8 days of volunteering.

marzNC

Angel Diva
That's pretty good, not just skiing for yourself, but a season pass for the spouse too, for only 8 days of volunteering.
Need to remember that App is tiny, only 25 acres. But it's a great place for beginners. College students at App State go for night sessions because it's only a few miles out of town. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
In addition to the purchase of Snowtime by Peak, there is another change coming to Whitetail. The referendums allowing Whitetail to sell alcohol passed. That means drinks will be sold during ski season and golf season. The township that Whitetail is located in remains dry.

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/new...cle_25fa24d0-305f-52e5-93bd-a074e3f2f6ea.html

" . . .
The 3,500 registered voters in the township were asked two separate questions relating to the ski resort and the golf resort. A simple majority was all that was needed to pass the measure.

Totals for the township voting showed the ski question passed, with yes getting 1,339 votes and 862 saying no for the ski resort. The golf resort referendum voting went 1,387 for yes and 851 for no.
. . ."

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Fascinating! I lived in PA for 7 years and had no idea there were dry townships in the state. Guess they don’t call it Pennsyltucky for nothing...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wintergreen is pushing a deal in November before Thanksgiving. Don't remember there ever being a deal like this for Wintergreen for adultsScreen Shot 2018-11-09 at 8.27.06 AM.png. 4 lift tickets for $169, valid any day, transferable. Can even use all 4 on the same day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Parents willing to drive to Wintergreen midweek should check out the deals for kids. If live close enough, may be worth signing up for the "club" well before a snowday. Although Massanutten also has snowday rates and is much easier to access when there is snow on the roads because it's right off US33. The drive up the mountain at Wintergreen can be difficult after a snowstorm even if US29 has been cleared somewhat. (Wintergreen is an upside-down ski resort with the "base lodge" at the top of the mountain.)

Also have a Boy Scout Snowsports Merit Badge program that sounds pretty good. I know Scout troops have gone for weekend trips but didn't realize Wintergreen had created a multi-lesson program for individual Scouts or a small group (alpine skiing or boarding). Can do 1.25 hr or 3 hr lessons.

https://www.wintergreenresort.com/Passes-and-Deals/

5th and 6th graders in VA, MD, DC, NC, WV can ski/board for free three times and get discounts on rentals and lessons. But read the details carefully before deciding the $15 fee is worth it. There is a separate program for homeschoolers.

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 8.32.17 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is having a sale on the Full Season Pass for people who go in person to the Ski Sale & Swap on Sat, Nov. 17, 9am-2pm. Not only 20% off, also get a Buddy Pass Voucher good Sun-Fri and Sat night (same times as the Special Value Pass).

Never realized there was an annual ski swap. Benefits the Massanutten Ski/Board Teams. 14 of the team members went to Nationals last winter. Team parent volunteers run the mid-mountain Grill on weekends mid-season.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The H heard from our bootfitter today that Camelback and Big Boulder are planning to open next Saturday. If Camelback looks like they'll open Saturday, Boulder will probably open Friday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Believe it or not, two ski areas in NC were open today! Cataloochee and Sugar opened up mostly just to say they did. They are typically the first to open in NC and often on the same day. Only greens after one day of snowmaking but certainly makes news. Will probably be open again by next weekend but depends on how much it rains during the week.

App in Boone is shooting for a 11/16 opening date. Per usual, first 100 folks get a free lift ticket on opening day.

Even Ober Gatlinburg in TN is working towards opening before Thanksgiving.

Could be quite a few places to ski on Thanksgiving weekend in the southeast and Mid-Atlantic. Pretty unexpected given that turkey day is early this year.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Can anyone share any insight on which ski areas in the Pittsburgh area (or Pittsburgh to Baltimore/DC) area will be soonest to open?

I'm headed that way for a wedding in early December and want to get a few turns in on the way home, if anything is available. I know Seven Springs may be open since they started snowmaking... wondering about anything else?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Can anyone share any insight on which ski areas in the Pittsburgh area (or Pittsburgh to Baltimore/DC) area will be soonest to open?

I'm headed that way for a wedding in early December and want to get a few turns in on the way home, if anything is available. I know Seven Springs may be open since they started snowmaking... wondering about anything else?
7Springs and Whitetail are usually the first to open with a decent amount of terrain. They have the most snowmaking infrastructure. If there are snowstorms, Wisp can get going but they typically don't start snowmaking until well after Thanksgiving.

Would you be skiing midweek or on the weekend?

Paging @artistinsuburbia

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Sweet, thank you for the insight! I think I’ll end up going to 7Springs on Sunday afternoon... just to get a few laps in, really. Wedding is Saturday PM.

Fun fact: 7Springs is the first place I tried skiing as an adult (or teenager) while going to school at Carnegie Mellon - went night skiing with my friends who were more experienced I basically straightlined down the beginner trail the whole time and fell whenever there was a curve in the terrain. Best part of the trip was always the funnel cake at the lodge... :laughter:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking started at 7Springs. DC is getting snow before changes to rain. Massanutten may get a few inches of snow but then it's going to be on the warm side for snowmaking, at least during the day.

Fair to say that the real pre-season starts now. Meaning it's time to watch temperatures and webcams. Definitely going to be more options for Thanksgiving weekend than in recent years. Not only what places are open, but also how much terrain is available at places that are usually open by Thanksgiving such as Snowshoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly