• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
For anyone in DC/Baltimore/NoVA interested in the multi-week lesson program at Liberty, there are some posts by @alison wong about the program in a recent theard, click here. Not just for intermediates. The L3 instructors at Liberty (and anywhere else) can help improved the fundamentals to advanced skiers with very little terrain. I know that first hand from lessons and a multi-week clinic at Massanutten with more than one L3 instructor.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Heard on DCSki that anyone who bought the Snowshoe Ridiculous Pass in the spring can upgrade to Ikon. Guess that goes with the idea of letting people pay $300 to upgrade from Ikon Base to Full Ikon after all the additions in the last month.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Thanks for the update. Maybe it’d make sense for someone who skis a lot at those resorts (but then I guess they’d already have the IKON pass). For me, as it is, it barely pays for itself.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha, yes, that was my post on DCSki! Figured it was likely less applicable here than there. My partner is learning to ski, and the Snowshoe pass ($229, I believe) paid for itself over spring break. He’ll be coming with us on our Jan ski trip, so figured we might as well upgrade him. Was pleasantly surprised they said yes — I only thought to ask due to the offering for the IKON upgrade, as you said.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haha, yes, that was my post on DCSki! Figured it was likely less applicable here than there. My partner is learning to ski, and the Snowshoe pass ($229, I believe) paid for itself over spring break. He’ll be coming with us on our Jan ski trip, so figured we might as well upgrade him. Was pleasantly surprised they said yes — I only thought to ask due to the offering for the IKON upgrade, as you said.
I tend to put anything and everything I come across related to mid-Altantic skiing in this thread. Sometimes I look back at previous years to see what happened as the industry evolves.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe’s Flurry of Savings is going on Oct. 1-9. Includes a $99 Early Season pass good from Opening Day through Christmas day. Calendar for discounted day tickets starts on Nov. 21, 2018 for $40. The discount percentage off starts going down mid-Dec.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten has the lift ticket prices posted for 2018-19. Slight increase for weekends and holidays but season pass prices remain the same. Special Value Pass is still $235 that covers every thing except Sat daytime hours. That's what locals usually get.

I realized that I qualify for Senior rates, which start at age 62. :smile:

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 6.05.36 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop have posted upgrade prices for season pass holders who want access to the other Peak Resorts mountains such as Hunter or Mt Snow. Looks like another $199 until Oct. 31, 2018 for those who already got a Snowtime season pass. There are so many options, it pays to read the FAQ. The Individual season pass for an adult is $479 until 10/31 and $579 afterwards.

The upgrades also includes access to Peak Resorts locations in the midwest. First time I've seen them mentioned together with the locations in the northeast.

Benefits include:
  • First Tracks! Hit the slopes 1/2 hr before the lifts open to the public at Whitetail Resort, Liberty Mountain Resort & Roundtop Mountain Resort - Thursday through Sunday.
  • Receive one FREE Learn To Ski or Board Package for ages 8 and up.
  • Save 50% on class lessons for ages 8 and up. (Private lessons not included).
  • Two FREE Snow Tubing tickets, valid Monday thru Thursday, non-holiday. A ticket at Liberty and Whitetail is valid for a 2-hour session, and at Roundtop is valid from open to close.
  • Save 25% on midweek/non-holiday stays at the Liberty Hotel.
  • Enjoy a 15% discount on a single retail purchase at Liberty, Roundtop or Whitetail Mountain Sports.
  • Receive ONE free Quick Tune at Liberty or Whitetail Mountain Sports.
  • Load Resort Cash on your pass and use it like cash at all three resorts!
  • A Protection Policy is available.
  • "Two Fore One" Golf: Receive one coupon good for a free round of golf at either Whitetail Golf Course or Carroll Valley Golf at Liberty Mountain, when a second round is purchased at regular price. Valid Monday - Thursday, not valid on holidays.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone heading to the Alpine ski swap this weekend? My first swap -- am excited. Was planning on doing their gear purchase/buyback program for my daughters, but now I'm wondering if my 90lb 5'5" daughter will be too tall for junior skis... She's an advanced beginner at this point, but will get enough slope time for it to be worth buying or a season lease. Also hoping to find some bargain beginner skis for my partner... exciting!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone heading to the Alpine ski swap this weekend? My first swap -- am excited. Was planning on doing their gear purchase/buyback program for my daughters, but now I'm wondering if my 90lb 5'5" daughter will be too tall for junior skis... She's an advanced beginner at this point, but will get enough slope time for it to be worth buying or a season lease. Also hoping to find some bargain beginner skis for my partner... exciting!
There should be a few store staff around who are knowledgeable about skis for juniors.

Kids do fine on shorter skis as advanced beginners. I say that mostly based on experience with my daughter and my friends' kids ages 5-8. They were all intermediates by the time they were tweens.

It pays to get to the swap early. Meaning get parked 30 min before the doors open.

Are you bringing the girls? Your partner?

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bringing everybody! They did say both staff and ski patrol will be there to help -- which is great, because I'll definitely need their experienced help!

Thanks for the tips. Makes sense on ski length. My eldest is very light for her height, too, so that should help w/ the junior skis I'd think.

The girls were skiing some easy blues by the end of last season. We're going to do a trip to Steamboat, MLK at Massanutten, and the Liberty development program -- plus some "normal" ski days. Can't wait to see their skiing grow, so very excited to be gear shopping. Definitely harder for Kris to learn as an adult -- he was definitely a bit jealous of how quickly they were picking things up. I think the leaning downhill bit is scarier for a grown person..

marzNC

Angel Diva
he girls were skiing some easy blues by the end of last season. We're going to do a trip to Steamboat, MLK at Massanutten, and the Liberty development program -- plus some "normal" ski days. Can't wait to see their skiing grow, so very excited to be gear shopping. Definitely harder for Kris to learn as an adult -- he was definitely a bit jealous of how quickly they were picking things up. I think the leaning downhill bit is scarier for a grown person..
I got my friend JC to join me at Mnut for a ski weekend when her kids were 4 and 6. She wanted to learn too. Took her three times doing the never-ever class to being able to turn and stop using a wedge well enough to qualify for the second hour class that includes riding up the beginner lift for the easiest green. What really helped her in the long run was doing a 90-min clinic as often as possible during later ski weekends at Mnut. At least once, and sometimes twice. She would also go out and continue skiing to practice even after I and her kids were done for the day. We'd have to wait for her in the lodge for another 30-45 minutes.

Fast forward to their fourth season. She took the kids to Alta Lodge during spring break. The kids were Level 5 and 6 (of 9) for ski school. Her son played ice hockey so he was already quite good. His little sister wasn't quite sure yet how much she liked skiing, but she loved the Alta ski instructors so that made a big difference. What JC did was do group lessons. She did three lessons with the same very experienced Level 3 instructor three afternoons in a row. He had her skiing the easiest Alta blue at the end of the first lesson, much to my surprise given what trails she was skiing at Mnut. After the third lesson, she was able to ski any Alta groomed blue with me and her kids.

Although a group lesson is better than no lesson for a beginner adult, having a private or semi-private lesson with a L2/L3 instructor with 10+ years of experience will make the learning process go faster. Multi-week clinics are also useful.

During early season in Dec, group lessons midweek are often solo lessons or first thing on weekend morning. Tend to be taught by experienced instructors because the new hires haven't finished training yet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We're going to do a trip to Steamboat, MLK at Massanutten, . . .
If you would like the girls to do ski school MLK weekend, be good to make a reservation now. I highly recommend the children's program. My daughter started at age 4 and was skiing off Lift 6 (two blacks) from the summit by age 6. We only went three times the first few seasons, a few days before Christmas week and the two holiday long weekends (4-day weekends for her school). She was skiing Alta blues after the first day of ski school at age 8 when we went for spring break. She was better than I was by age 10 or 11, mostly because of Alta ski school and because I wasn't taking lessons then. I would've invested in lessons with L3 instructors for myself sooner if I knew than what I've learned in recent years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's what someone said on DCSki about the Alpine ski swap.

"If you have not been to the Alpine Ski Swap, it has grown to the largest swap in the DC area. The shop is accepting gear at the Sterling store this week. The Patrol and Shop Staff work the swap helping skiers select the right gear for them. While you are there, check the advance and expert gear.

October 6, Saturday the swap in open to the public at 9:00am and 10:00am on Sunday. By noon, we generally have sold out of the most popular boot sizes."

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw that, thanks! Yes, we're planning a range of lessons. K can certainly likely do some weekdays at Liberty -- he has the Mountain Passport so he actually gets a lesson for no addl charge each visit, which is great. The girls are signed up for a low kiddo:instructor ratio Steamboat school, he and I will do lessons there too -- and we will all do Liberty's development program. Will call soon about Massanutten as well -- their instruction is very reasonably priced compared with almost everywhere else. Great tips, thanks. Totally agree about adult 1:1 with an experienced instructor ... that's what actually got him skiing the right direction (literally... and I mean forward) at Snowshoe. :smile: He might never love skiing as much as I do, and that's ok... but I'll be thrilled when we can all ski greens and blues together.

I also saw that post about the swap, super excited. I'm glad they clarified it opens at 9 on Sat, as their graphic says 10. We'll be there early!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Know anyone who wants to learn to ski? Do they live in or near PA? SkiPA has a limited time offer for a $59 package that includes a beginner ticket, lesson, and rentals. Can be skiing or snowboarding (not Sawmill). Offer is good assorted PA ski areas, mostly for ages 8 and up but there are some areas who are happy to teach kids ages 6 or 7 with the deal. No blackout dates except at 7Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel.

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 10.14.38 PM.png

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two thumbs up for the Alpine sale. People were still dropping items off as we left, but I outfitted 3 people for $450, and that includes $160 skis for my eldest, who they put in adult boots and I think adult skis too — left them for tuning so haven’t looked everything up yet. Had some fun 12yo drama because she was trying on boots in her size and fell in love with some 100 flex boots. Uh, no. You’re not getting boots with a higher flex than your weight! Found something better suited for her in the end. Kris got some bargain $50 skis in good shape that will suit him well as a beginner for a couple of years or so. Tons of help from staff and Timberline ski patrol, who hand selected items for us. Lots of items in the 50-100 range.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like quite a productive shopping effort. Good for you!

Had some fun 12yo drama because she was trying on boots in her size and fell in love with some 100 flex boots. Uh, no. You’re not getting boots with a higher flex than your weight! Found something better suited for her in the end.
One thing my daughter learned early was that I was likely to buy a jacket and pants to suit her fashion sense, but not boots, skis, or poles. I got lucky for one pair of skis, with matching poles, that she liked for the graphics that we bought used from a local ski shop (in NC).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna