• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC @Tryin2Ski Anyone planning to do the Gold Clinic at Massanutten this year? According to the local news station, they blew some snow today.....Hoping they can keep it up.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC @Tryin2Ski Anyone planning to do the Gold Clinic at Massanutten this year? According to the local news station, they blew some snow today.....Hoping they can keep it up.
Yep, both Massanutten and Wintergreen are making snow as long as possible. Wintergreen started late Sat night according to their mountain blog. They expect to continue into Tuesday. Just getting a head start on cooling down the ground. Wintergreen is looking at a mid-Dec opening.

I won't do the Gold Clinic this season. But will be around a few Sundays with my friends. Looking forward to skiing a few runs with the folks from last season's Gold Clinic. It's got to be the best multi-week clinic in the region for advanced intermediate and advanced skiers.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Big Boulder Park which is part of Jack Frost Big Boulder resort will open on Nov 25th with 1 trail, then 2 trails for Sat and Sun. This is the first ski resort in Poconos to open! Hope all others follow in the next 2 weeks. Looks like the consistent snowmaking temperature will arrive and stay next weekend.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Skied Cataloochee today-they're open to the 3/4 mark--surprisingly good with not all that many people for approaching the holiday. Smoke from the wildfires all the way up into the parking lot, but light wind made it better on the slopes and lifts....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got confirmation that there will be a demo weekend at Massanutten the first non-holiday weekend in January, Jan. 7-8. I plan to be around that weekend. Hope to see a few Divas.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC any idea what companies will be there? I have a few friends that are shopping around and thought I might send them that way since Snowshoe's demo days was a no go.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC any idea what companies will be there? I have a few friends that are shopping around and thought I might send them that way since Snowshoe's demo days was a no go.
Won't get the list until about a week before. This is not a demo day with brand reps and multiple tents. Freestyle is a ski shop in Charlottesville (and Wintergreen) that sets up a tent. The selection is usually 2-3 sizes for popular models from major brands such as Rossignol, K2, Volkl, etc. The models are mostly for Mid-Atlantic but might have one or two all-mountain that are worth taking on trips out west. The real question is what terrain will be open.

I'm pretty sure Whitetail is going to have a demo day in early Jan too. But don't have confirmation or a date. Last few seasons, it's been on the first non-holiday Friday. Last year there were quite a few brand reps.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I'm pretty sure Whitetail is going to have a demo day in early Jan too. But don't have confirmation or a date. Last few seasons, it's been on the first non-holiday Friday. Last year there were quite a few brand reps.

Correct about Whitetail Demo days. I spoke w/ Brian E. from Ski Shoppe Ltd. in early Nov., he confirmed there will be a demo day at Whitetail (to continue the annual tradition) the 1st Friday of Jan. (Jan. 6th). But I just checked their shop website nothing is announced yet. Anyway, I already requested a day off so I am committed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is making snow today! Meaning it's cold enough for 24-hour snowmaking. Going to be cold for several days. Time to start watching the webcams. :snow:

Massanutten Snow Conditions Report on 12/9/16:

The weather outside is cold and Massanutten's snow guns are on! We plan to open the Ski Slopes and Snow Tubing Friday, December 16th for the 2016-17 season. Check out our webcams to watch our snow making progress in real time.

The Ski Slopes and Snow Tubing typically open in mid-December, but varies each year based on weather. We require consistent periods below 32 degrees to make snow.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jack Frost, Montage, and Blue were all blowing snow last night!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montage planning to open 12/16

marzNC

Angel Diva
Saw Diamond Jim covered in snow on my way to work this morning. It was lovely.
Yep, blowing all day on the lower mountain. Fun to watch the webcams.

After this weekend, I think the only place that won't be open in VA/WV/NC will be Timberline. For some reason, Tline is not going to open until Dec. 23.

dianakate

Angel Diva
After this weekend, I think the only place that won't be open in VA/WV/NC will be Timberline. For some reason, Tline is not going to open until Dec. 23.

That is such a shame. We are at Canaan this weekend and they have made SO much snow, plus lots of natural snow. I can see the snow on the trails at Tline. We went to Tline one day last year and it is a great mountain to ski, but the extra slow and only lift to the top made for huge lift lines, not to mention that one of the lift towers broke the weekend after we were there. It could be a great resort with some investment.

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
That is such a shame. We are at Canaan this weekend and they have made SO much snow, plus lots of natural snow. I can see the snow on the trails at Tline. We went to Tline one day last year and it is a great mountain to ski, but the extra slow and only lift to the top made for huge lift lines, not to mention that one of the lift towers broke the weekend after we were there. It could be a great resort with some investment.

I was there too! Those snow piles were huuuge!

The family took group lessons that ended up being private. :smile:

We could have crossed each other on the slopes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly