• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to give Kudos to Blue Mountain: they may not have a microclimate but they were downright heroic with their snowmaking last spring and stayed open (and actually fun) for an improbably long time. I only wish they'd do a better job with crowd control. It's insanely packed on weekends, just like most everyplace in our region, but at Blue it never seemed that much effort was going into moving people away from the lift-unloading areas (particularly boarders adjusting their bindings), and clearing other choke points. The lift lines move faster than you'd think, but there's not much place for people to spread out. I think it could be a lot safer and more pleasant with a bit more attention to traffic control in key areas. It's the most commonly-leveled complaint against them, so it seems weird to me that they don't seem to care. But maybe they sell lots of beer and food to people who get tired of dodging human projectiles.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a good time at a Diva lunch in northern VA today. For women reading who haven't signed up yet, if you set up a free account and have 25 posts, then can see the Divas Only threads about meetups. New members can introduce themselves in Getting to Know You. Hope to meet a few new Mid-Atlantic or southeast Divas this season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Stopped by the ski swap at Freestyle in Charlottesville today. The tent they put up is pretty big, almost as big as their store. I gather that there were lots of people shopping on Friday, with was the first of three days. Seems to have a pretty good collection of consignment stuff, as well as store goods on sale.

Apex Boots was there today. That's the new idea with a soft inner boot similar to a snowboard boot that goes into an external shell for skiing. They were training the Freestyle boot fitters. I picked up one of the "shells" and discovered it's really heavy.

Anybody go to a swap in the last few weeks?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Cataloochee, Maggie Valley, NC (furthest west resort in the state near the TN line) almost has it's own microclimate, often very different from the town below. And they have top notch snowmaking throughout the variably challenging mountain. They have a great and inexpensive Women On Wednesday program Wednesdays in January and February. It's so reasonable financially that last year I drove up on Tuesday mornings, skied the afternoon, spent the night for $4o eating super great dinners at the local restaurants and then appeared bright-eyed on Wednesday mornings for the WOW program. Six weeks of two hour lessons were a total of $75! Adding lift tickets and equipment are proportionately a great deal. I've done this nine seasons and enjoy my class group so much that we meet in the offseason!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Cataloochee, Maggie Valley, NC (furthest west resort in the state near the TN line) almost has it's own microclimate, often very different from the town below. And they have top notch snowmaking throughout the variably challenging mountain. They have a great and inexpensive Women On Wednesday program Wednesdays in January and February. It's so reasonable financially that last year I drove up on Tuesday mornings, skied the afternoon, spent the night for $4o eating super great dinners at the local restaurants and then appeared bright-eyed on Wednesday mornings for the WOW program. Six weeks of two hour lessons were a total of $75! Adding lift tickets and equipment are proportionately a great deal. I've done this nine seasons and enjoy my class group so much that we meet in the offseason!
Cat was one of the original ski areas to start working with Snow Operating to use Terrain Based Learning (TM). I assume that's also when they started the multi-lesson beginner lesson program that leads to a pair of skis at the last lesson.

Too far for me to drive for 25 acres. But I always follow SkiSE to see when Cat starts snowmaking. The flip side of being small is that they can open a fair percentage of terrain in just a few days. Especially if one day is cold enough for a little daytime snowmaking.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I have to give Kudos to Blue Mountain: they may not have a microclimate but they were downright heroic with their snowmaking last spring and stayed open (and actually fun) for an improbably long time. I only wish they'd do a better job with crowd control. It's insanely packed on weekends, just like most everyplace in our region, but at Blue it never seemed that much effort was going into moving people away from the lift-unloading areas (particularly boarders adjusting their bindings), and clearing other choke points. The lift lines move faster than you'd think, but there's not much place for people to spread out. I think it could be a lot safer and more pleasant with a bit more attention to traffic control in key areas. It's the most commonly-leveled complaint against them, so it seems weird to me that they don't seem to care. But maybe they sell lots of beer and food to people who get tired of dodging human projectiles.
Yes, their management is not responsive to customer complaints. I once knew someone who was in charge of the lift lines for years and this person saw his job as more of a social event rather than taking crowd control seriously.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wanted to try CV this year. How is it?
CV itself is pretty mellow in terms of skiing as I understand it. However, Timberline has a complete range of terrain, from a long green from the top to a collection of short blacks that are not groomed. Slow lifts but much more relaxed vibe than Snowshoe. The CV Lodge was completely rebuilt a few years ago and is pretty nice. @Tryin2Ski and I stayed there for a night after driving over from Snowshoe.

Here's the trip report that includes Timberline. It was early Jan so not too much was open yet.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...-loop-to-snowshoe-and-timberline-in-wv.19032/

The DCSki/EpicSki Gathering is often at Timberline. Will be on Feb. 24-26 in 2017.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC good to know. Hopefully TL doesnt have any more lift issues. Id just like to change it up this year if the weather permits because Snowshoe can be downright dangerous some weekends.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC good to know. Hopefully TL doesnt have any more lift issues. Id just like to change it up this year if the weather permits because Snowshoe can be downright dangerous some weekends.
For sure, Tline is more fun that Silver Creek. That's where I end up once the crowds show up around lunch time at the Snowshoe main area. Even the Western Territories aren't much fun in the afternoon once people have skied it out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
And Snowshoe has delayed their opening (not surprised)....
Canaan Valley set their opening date for Dec. 10. Apparently have gotten a fair amount of new snowmaking equipment.

My impression is that Snowshoe has decided it's better to open with a decent amount of terrain. Only a few trails on Thanksgiving could be pretty dangerous. While not having any skiing is a bummer, might have less of a problem with first time guests who end up very frustrated.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC I totally agree with their decision. I think part of it was because of the forecasters backing off the snow predictions this weekend.

I hope they get a decent amount open in december. Im chomping at the bit to go!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I hadn't put 2 & 2 together but I went to the funeral of the husband of one of my closest ski buddies this afternoon (one of the greatest men I've ever known) and another ski friend pointed out that with the North Carolina drought, there won't be water for snowmaking this winter, even if we didn't have the horrendous forest fires. Maybe I should be looking to use my frequent flyer miles to go elsewhere?

marzNC

Angel Diva
SkiSE hasn't mentioned the drought in relation to snowmaking. At least not yet.

The fires are really bad. NC is having a bad year weather-wise. Too much water in the southeastern rivers after the hurricane and too little rain in the western counties.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you know any beginners or potential skiers who live close to one of the Snowtime ski areas, there is a new learning package at Whitetail, Roundtop, and Liberty for 2016-17. Pay $349 for 4 lessons and lift tickets, for adults 18+. After completing 3 lessons, get a pair of Elan skis and a 40% discount on future lift tickets. It's called the Own the Mountain Learn to Ski Package. I assume there are a limited number available.

https://www.libertymountainresort.c...ackages/lessons-packages/own-mountain-package

Cataloochee has had a similar package for a few years.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
SkiSE hasn't mentioned the drought in relation to snowmaking. At least not yet.

The fires are really bad. NC is having a bad year weather-wise. Too much water in the southeastern rivers after the hurricane and too little rain in the western counties.

Yes, I'd already wished I could dump the excessive river water in Robeson County onto the fire in Polk County....
Vickey said Cataloochee's water level is 1/3 of usual.... : (

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna