• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Mid April-May?

SwimSusan

Diva in Training
Hi Ski Divas!
Florida girl here. I’ve managed to get out to Colorado for 4 weeks this season and it has been the best ski season ever for me. I’m debating if i go for one more. The reason i’m hesitating … i love the cold and i’m afraid i won’t enjoy warm weather skiing as much, the party scene ( i’m picturing skiers drinking beer while they ski and not being careful to avoid other skiers.) and lastly, i’m an early skier and i’m told i will have to start late! Please share your thoughts, experiences etc…i literally am torn.
indecisively yours!
Swimsusan

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmm....well, I suspect that what you describe will indeed be part of the experience. If ot does not freeze overnight you might get some decent corn first thing in the morning. Mostly I find that it is a window between ice and heavy slush that lasts about 3 hrs and can be divine on sunny days.

I too share your dislike for warm weather skiing, so not the one to cheer you on in that respect.

The soring crowd does temd to be a touch younger and prone to celebrating.

While all the things you described are true and make spring skiing less appealing than mid winter, it is still a blast, and I personally look forward to my doctor telling me I get to enjoy the last 2 weeks at my local hills.which are the first 2 in April.

Lower the expectations and you might end up having a blast!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! What type of lodging would you be interested in for a late season trip? What's your favorite resort in Colorado?

I join old friends who are all over 50 who enjoy being at Alta Lodge for a week in April. A few of us stay longer than a week. We have fun whether or not there is a deep base and/or a powder storm. There can be warms days and cool nights that mean going out before 10:00 or 10:30 isn't the best approach. Although people with Ikon can head out at 9:15 when Alta lifts open and ski the Mineral Basin of Snowbird for an hour or so and then ski back to Alta for the rest of the day.

Here are a couple of my trip reports for Alta in April. It's been an annual trip since 2010.

For a late season trip, can make sense to wait and see the weather forecasts before making a decision. Flights and lodging will be pretty easy to find after school spring breaks that are before/after Easter Sunday.

The other destination resorts besides Alta and Snowbird that can be fun in April are Mt. Batchelor in Oregon, Palisades Tahoe, and Mammoth. Also a few resorts in Canada but I don't have any personal experience for those.

SwimSusan

Diva in Training
Hmmmm....well, I suspect that what you describe will indeed be part of the experience. If ot does not freeze overnight you might get some decent corn first thing in the morning. Mostly I find that it is a window between ice and heavy slush that lasts about 3 hrs and can be divine on sunny days.

I too share your dislike for warm weather skiing, so not the one to cheer you on in that respect.

The soring crowd does temd to be a touch younger and prone to celebrating.

While all the things you described are true and make spring skiing less appealing than mid winter, it is still a blast, and I personally look forward to my doctor telling me I get to enjoy the last 2 weeks at my local hills.which are the first 2 in April.

Lower the expectations and you might end up having a blast!
Very good point! Thank you.

SwimSusan

Diva in Training
Welcome! What type of lodging would you be interested in for a late season trip? What's your favorite resort in Colorado?

I join old friends who are all over 50 who enjoy being at Alta Lodge for a week in April. A few of us stay longer than a week. We have fun whether or not there is a deep base and/or a powder storm. There can be warms days and cool nights that mean going out before 10:00 or 10:30 isn't the best approach. Although people with Ikon can head out at 9:15 when Alta lifts open and ski the Mineral Basin of Snowbird for an hour or so and then ski back to Alta for the rest of the day.

Here are a couple of my trip reports for Alta in April. It's been an annual trip since 2010.

For a late season trip, can make sense to wait and see the weather forecasts before making a decision. Flights and lodging will be pretty easy to find after school spring breaks that are before/after Easter Sunday.

The other destination resorts besides Alta and Snowbird that can be fun in April are Mt. Batchelor in Oregon, Palisades Tahoe, and Mammoth. Also a few resorts in Canada but I don't have any personal experience for those.
I have been skiing Vail the past few years because my friends live there and my husband loves the village. (Since he doesn’t ski, him being happy while i’m on the mountain is key!) I think your advice of waiting until we see what the weather forecasts are makes the most sense. I’ve had Alta on my radar for years and April does seem like a good time to eventually go..
Thank you for your reply!

mustski

Angel Diva
I ski as late as possible into spring every year. The key about morning start time is dependent on what kind of terrain you want to ski. Groomers are fast and fun early in the morning. Follow the sun to reap the corn harvest. Lovely slush bumps are in the afternoon. If you hit somewhere with high altitude - like ABasin or Mammoth - the upper mountain won’t begin softening up too early so you extend your day. Mammoth will be open until August this year. It will ski well until mid June. July and August will be early morning skiing just for kicks- because… we’ll it’s skiing in July and August!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna