• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

MIA on a Powder Day---a public Diva whine

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am in DC on a business trip. Guaranteed powder day in Utah when I go on these trips and, this time, it's a whopper.

I always feel so cheated when I'm sitting in a hotel and meetings and get texts, pics, FB posts from my dear family and friends wallowing in powder. I just needed to whine a bit as I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself. (just a few salt in wound messages: "3 feet this storm in Alta! An inch a minute! no one else up here").

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whining accepted as long as you don't gloat when you are there for the dump!

Could you ask them to send some snow to New England?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
QUOTE: Didn't @altagirl say she won't go on powder days anymore?

Maybe cuz you can't get up the canyon. The locals show up and the out-of-towners show up. and everyone wants to drive up. The lines of cars in the valley go for a mile or more in three directions and tempers flare.

The drive UP is so so stressful on some days that I'm exhausted when I get there! On MLK weekend, a local season pass holder at Brighton, a young guy, after a 2 hour crawl up BCC, was told by Canyon Sheriff that parking lot was FULL. He went crazy. Ended up in jail (he did attack the cop who ended up in a snowbank and they did have to taze the skier). But hey---no friends on a powder day, eh?

The day before, it took me 2.5 hours to get from the mouth of BCC to Brighton. I was going crazy, sitting in the car without moving for over an hour...but not that nuts. They need to do something here in Utah---it's not sustainable with the current situation on some days.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I am in DC on a business trip. Guaranteed powder day in Utah when I go on these trips and, this time, it's a whopper.

Aren't you just enjoying our spring-like temps??? Ugh...bring back the cold. I'm not ready for spring yet! Fortunately, around here, February and March tend to be the snowiest.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
QUOTE: Didn't @altagirl say she won't go on powder days anymore?

Maybe cuz you can't get up the canyon. The locals show up and the out-of-towners show up. and everyone wants to drive up. The lines of cars in the valley go for a mile or more in three directions and tempers flare.

The drive UP is so so stressful on some days that I'm exhausted when I get there! On MLK weekend, a local season pass holder at Brighton, a young guy, after a 2 hour crawl up BCC, was told by Canyon Sheriff that parking lot was FULL. He went crazy. Ended up in jail (he did attack the cop who ended up in a snowbank and they did have to taze the skier). But hey---no friends on a powder day, eh?

The day before, it took me 2.5 hours to get from the mouth of BCC to Brighton. I was going crazy, sitting in the car without moving for over an hour...but not that nuts. They need to do something here in Utah---it's not sustainable with the current situation on some days.
I use Reddit and follow a Teardrop Trailer subreddit. A couple from CO built a teardrop (a super mini one) that they tow with either an Impreza or Crosstrek. They sleep overnight at ski lodges in CO/UT to avoid the drive in the mornings and on pow days!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hear your cries. I work remotely, even on my ski trips. Last year I got downright grouchy watching my people gear up and ski what was a picture perfect beautiful day. This year if I’m working, I’m not even going to look out of the window. Snow reports, alerts, social media updates be damned! I’m NOT looking!

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We rented a house right on the same rode as the mountain over MLK. Pretty much the closest house before the mountain access road. We got 24 inches of snow. Our driveway was impassible and the plow guy did not come until 2:00 in the afternoon. Meanwhile, the street in front of our house was plowed and salted first thing in the morning so all day long we watched car after car with skis on top zip past our house to the mountain. Torture.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use Reddit and follow a Teardrop Trailer subreddit. A couple from CO built a teardrop (a super mini one) that they tow with either an Impreza or Crosstrek. They sleep overnight at ski lodges in CO/UT to avoid the drive in the mornings and on pow days!

I _think_ resorts have put the kabosh on overnighters in the lots. Parking is precious real estate up there and overnight cars could be towed---though probably not with people in them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna