• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mermer Blakeslee

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dave Capron, who does a podcast featuring interviews with famous skiers, has just posted an hour-long interview with Mermer Blakeslee, a PSIA instructor, examiner, trainer, former National Team member, author, gardener, and writer (poetry, novels, and more). For those of you who might not know, Mermer is the author of Into the Yikes Zone! A Conversation with Fear. She conducts special skiing programs for dealing with fear, and runs the well-known Power Learn program at Windham Mountain Resort. She will be a part of the upcoming PSIA Women's Summit at Stowe in late February.

Here's the interview.

The Fall Line with Chaos and Co.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
The discussion of teaching fearful people starts around 29.50.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mermer is talking to PSIA members in this interview. She and they all know each other, and they know other PSIA people whom they mention by first name. So it's in a way an insider interview. I could recognize some of the folks they referred to by first name, but only because I have participated for so long in PSIA events. So the interview may be a bit opaque to some listeners here.

What comes across most strongly, I think, is Mermer's infectious laughter ... and her and intense passion for teaching and thinking about how people learn.

In her book she dives deeply into dealing with fear.

newboots

Angel Diva
Her stories about childhood, failure, and what she wanted to change in teaching methods promulgated by PSIA are all very interesting. She is unguarded and, at times, a little goofy, likely because she is among friends.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
DH had a PSIA event several years ago at Sugarbush. Fresh snow, great conditions, his first trip there, loved it. These events are grouped to a clinic leader. When he came home, he told me that his clinic leader had a peculiar name, M-something. Ha! "I can name that tune in one note." He indeed had Mermer Blakeslee as his clinic leader for the event, got to ski with her for 2 days. :smile::thumbsup: Pics somewhere

SmuggsSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Dave Capron, who does a podcast featuring interviews with famous skiers, has just posted an hour-long interview with Mermer Blakeslee, a PSIA instructor, examiner, trainer, former National Team member, author, gardener, and writer (poetry, novels, and more). For those of you who might not know, Mermer is the author of Into the Yikes Zone! A Conversation with Fear. She conducts special skiing programs for dealing with fear, and runs the well-known Power Learn program at Windham Mountain Resort. She will be a part of the upcoming PSIA Women's Summit at Stowe in late February.

Here's the interview.

The Fall Line with Chaos and Co.
Mermer has amazing wisdom about skiing and life in general. I was at the Women's Summit at Stowe and went to her presentation on performance. Great stuff.

SmuggsSkier

Certified Ski Diva
DH had a PSIA event several years ago at Sugarbush. Fresh snow, great conditions, his first trip there, loved it. These events are grouped to a clinic leader. When he came home, he told me that his clinic leader had a peculiar name, M-something. Ha! "I can name that tune in one note." He indeed had Mermer Blakeslee as his clinic leader for the event, got to ski with her for 2 days. :smile::thumbsup: Pics somewhere
Mermer is talking to PSIA members in this interview. She and they all know each other, and they know other PSIA people whom they mention by first name. So it's in a way an insider interview. I could recognize some of the folks they referred to by first name, but only because I have participated for so long in PSIA events. So the interview may be a bit opaque to some listeners here.

What comes across most strongly, I think, is Mermer's infectious laughter ... and her and intense passion for teaching and thinking about how people learn.

In her book she dives deeply into dealing with fear.
Mermer is an amazing gardener as well as skier. She often posts photos of her garden on Facebook.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hey, @SmuggsSkier - I'm not sure I have had a chance to say hello. I was at the Summit at Stowe, too, but unfortunately I brought home Covid. Anyhow, we are glad to have you here!

:welcome:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Hey, @SmuggsSkier - I'm not sure I have had a chance to say hello. I was at the Summit at Stowe, too, but unfortunately I brought home Covid. Anyhow, we are glad to have you here!

:welcome:

Perhaps this is posted somewhere but I haven't seen it.... but I'd love to see a report on this women's summit at Stowe. How was it organized? Was it worthwhile? I saw one report (on Facebook I think) from a CSIA level 4 who was there but I would be interested in hearing from some divas.

newboots

Angel Diva
Perhaps this is posted somewhere but I haven't seen it.... but I'd love to see a report on this women's summit at Stowe. How was it organized? Was it worthwhile? I saw one report (on Facebook I think) from a CSIA level 4 who was there but I would be interested in hearing from some divas.
On this thread:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna