• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Men vs. women skiing

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, the author has given this a lot of thought.

The paragraph that made me stand up and pay attention was near the end, "the female pelvis rotates more and more easily than that of the male". This is very interesting, although, I am not sure that it is true. The female pelvis is wider and more tipped than the male, but I've never heard that it rotates easier, since both are attached to the spine. However, assuming it true, it finally explains why I enjoy the old style of skiing that employs a lot of hip counter-rotation. I love this style of turning and can do this all day long. It is natural and effortless. I wonder now if men found this awkward and hence the big ski shape/carving revolution which doesn't require as much rotation.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That was incredibly enlightening. I really enjoyed it. I was amused by his long and very thorough disclaimer at the beginning, though. I can definitely see myself in many of his points. And I LOVE his height/weight measurements of an average woman. :D

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This article was great. Two things he pointed out especially caught my interest. One was about more women taking ski lessons than men -- how interesting. I wonder if this may be related to women being willling to ask for directions when driving. I've bought a bunch of instructional ski books, and have noticed that the writers address their readers as if they know many of them are women. I suspect the publishers have information that tells them women will buy how-to-ski books.

The other thing was about how the knees point when they are bending. Early on I noticed my knees track inwards when I squat, and I asked a trainer at the gym and later the guy that sold me my boots if that was a problem when skiing. Neither had a real answer, but now at least I know it has to do with a woman's pelvis. So I'm normal, maybe. This year I'll ask the guy that works on my boots if the adjustments he's made take that into account.

Thanks for this link. It was fun and informative to read.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly