• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

(MCL)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How did I miss this? Oh, I know: Diva East! So sorry to hear about the extent of your injuries, but glad you're feeling okay. Best wishes for a full and fast recovery.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well.

So the MRI shows a complete ACL tear, complete MCL, assorted posterolateral corner injuries (which are by far the most annoying.). The doctor thinks everything but the ACL will heal on its own. I still have a negative Lachman. I have a referral to a surgeon in a month and some exercises to do in the meantime. I have some swelling but I'm walking well and getting back to normal.

Interesting wrinkle: the doctor aspirated my knee to help with swelling and there was no blood in the joint. This makes him suspect that the ACL injury is old and went undetected. I injured my knee in college 22 years ago but no imaging was done as I, well, had a negative Lachman. I did PT at the time and the physio said: just keep your knee strong and you'll be fine. So I did!

And...maybe I've been a coper and didn't know it? What a weird thing to find out!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well.

So the MRI shows a complete ACL tear, complete MCL, assorted posterolateral corner injuries (which are by far the most annoying.). The doctor thinks everything but the ACL will heal on its own. I still have a negative Lachman. I have a referral to a surgeon in a month and some exercises to do in the meantime. I have some swelling but I'm walking well and getting back to normal.

Interesting wrinkle: the doctor aspirated my knee to help with swelling and there was no blood in the joint. This makes him suspect that the ACL injury is old and went undetected. I injured my knee in college 22 years ago but no imaging was done as I, well, had a negative Lachman. I did PT at the time and the physio said: just keep your knee strong and you'll be fine. So I did!

And...maybe I've been a coper and didn't know it? What a weird thing to find out!
If so, I guess you know you can go without surgery this time, too. Nice to avoid it if possible.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well.

That's crazy! Kind of badass, too! When I did my TPF, imaging showed torn meniscus that also appeared old in BOTH knees which probably explained why I could never run without massive pain. **Meh** I thought. Keep on keeping on! I hope you heal well and get back out there feeling great. We'll have to save our meetup for next season!

(There are definitely days that I wonder why on earth I continue to do this dangerous sport...I crashed on Monday and partially dislocated my previously partially dislocated shoulder but it hurts more now than it ever has. No idea what took me down, but it was on Rocky J and I almost slid into a tree. I was tied up in a pretzel with my head downhill and my shoulder unable to push me up. Good times!)

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My MRI showed significant arthritis in both knees. I don't have pain - apparently there's not a great correlation between MRIs and actual symptoms. Doc shrugged and said , well, you're in your forties.

That's crazy! Kind of badass, too! When I did my TPF, imaging showed torn meniscus that also appeared old in BOTH knees which probably explained why I could never run without massive pain. **Meh** I thought. Keep on keeping on! I hope you heal well and get back out there feeling great. We'll have to save our meetup for next season!

(There are definitely days that I wonder why on earth I continue to do this dangerous sport...I crashed on Monday and partially dislocated my previously partially dislocated shoulder but it hurts more now than it ever has. No idea what took me down, but it was on Rocky J and I almost slid into a tree. I was tied up in a pretzel with my head downhill and my shoulder unable to push me up. Good times!)
Oh no! PT for you, too! Everyone gets a PT! /Oprah.

I love that run, too, but it can be a treacherous ice ball.

If so, I guess you know you can go without surgery this time, too. Nice to avoid it if possible.

I hope so. It still might make sense to have surgery but there's also no guarantee that a graft will never rupture. Lots to think about as I wait.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I hope so. It still might make sense to have surgery but there's also no guarantee that a graft will never rupture. Lots to think about as I wait.
When my husband had his first achilles rupture repaired, we didn’t know that he developed an infection that was encapsulated in his leg and went pretty far up. 6-7 years later, they had to go in and basically rotorooter out the infection. I’m still horrified that that existed and also so grateful that it was encapsulated inside his leg? Every intervention is a gateway to another intervention, sometimes.

the original surgery wasn’t optional, but wow.

Sending you strength and wisdom to do the right thing for you.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My MRI showed significant arthritis in both knees. I don't have pain - apparently there's not a great correlation between MRIs and actual symptoms. Doc shrugged and said , well, you're in your forties.

Oh no! PT for you, too! Everyone gets a PT! /Oprah.

I love that run, too, but it can be a treacherous ice ball.

Ahh yes, the “well, you’re in your 40s”comment. I also have arthritis, and again, meh, ok, explains some stuff. Hormone therapy helps immensely.

Do you mountain bike? I got really depressed when I was injured. How are you doing?

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my husband had his first achilles rupture repaired, we didn’t know that he developed an infection that was encapsulated in his leg and went pretty far up. 6-7 years later, they had to go in and basically rotorooter out the infection. I’m still horrified that that existed and also so grateful that it was encapsulated inside his leg? Every intervention is a gateway to another intervention, sometimes.

the original surgery wasn’t optional, but wow.

Sending you strength and wisdom to do the right thing for you.
Eek! "Rotorooter out the infection" is things I don't want to imagine for $400, Alex....
Ahh yes, the “well, you’re in your 40s”comment. I also have arthritis, and again, meh, ok, explains some stuff. Hormone therapy helps immensely.

Do you mountain bike? I got really depressed when I was injured. How are you doing?

I do mountain bike. Road, too. I'm not sure which I like better - I'm not much for speedy downhills on the mountain bike but I like not having to worry about cars. And the climb up to Lewis Peak is magic (and hard) in October. (But so is the road to Monte Cristo on my road bike!)

I'm OK. Mostly sad that I've missed the bluebird part of the season after skiing all the storms, and that my kid who was doing Main Street from the top now and so proud doesn't have anyone to ski with. (Friends have taken them but littler kids sticking to blues.) If I get the surgery I probably miss next season too, to be safe, so I'm trying to figure out if we just spend a year at Nordic with lots of affordable kid lessons and night skiing or take up cross country for the season or buy a fat bike. (I'm a little antsy.)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Eek! "Rotorooter out the infection" is things I don't want to imagine for $400, Alex....

I do mountain bike. Road, too. I'm not sure which I like better - I'm not much for speedy downhills on the mountain bike but I like not having to worry about cars. And the climb up to Lewis Peak is magic (and hard) in October. (But so is the road to Monte Cristo on my road bike!)

I'm OK. Mostly sad that I've missed the bluebird part of the season after skiing all the storms, and that my kid who was doing Main Street from the top now and so proud doesn't have anyone to ski with. (Friends have taken them but littler kids sticking to blues.) If I get the surgery I probably miss next season too, to be safe, so I'm trying to figure out if we just spend a year at Nordic with lots of affordable kid lessons and night skiing or take up cross country for the season or buy a fat bike. (I'm a little antsy.)
Biking will be your best friend! Let’s go! I won’t be climbing Lewis peak, though! I’m a good climber but nope lol!

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You guys, you guys!

So, I didn't get surgery. I did a return to sport rehab in June and spent the rest of the summer mountain biking and lifting sights and backpacking. My knee is achy sometimes but stable.

I went back to the surgeon for a follow-up today and my injured side, while weaker than my uninjured side, is strong enough that it's better than many repaired ACLs.

So I can ski! But I didn't buy a pass. Going to get fitted for a brace mostly for mental support and..

... well, anyone have a recommendation for ski pants that will fit over a brace?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You guys, you guys!

So, I didn't get surgery. I did a return to sport rehab in June and spent the rest of the summer mountain biking and lifting sights and backpacking. My knee is achy sometimes but stable.

I went back to the surgeon for a follow-up today and my injured side, while weaker than my uninjured side, is strong enough that it's better than many repaired ACLs.

So I can ski! But I didn't buy a pass. Going to get fitted for a brace mostly for mental support and..

... well, anyone have a recommendation for ski pants that will fit over a brace?
Yaay you can ski!
Boo you didn’t get a pass!
I skied with a custom brace after my TPF and found that it fit under most of my pants. Shell pants work best.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yaay you can ski!
Boo you didn’t get a pass!
I skied with a custom brace after my TPF and found that it fit under most of my pants. Shell pants work best.

The doctor today asked if I was going up for opening day, and then, "why didn't you get a pass?" Because I was using a cane during pass-buying time!

I'll just ski Nordic Valley until the mid-March pass sale.

Jilly

Staff member
Try brace with your current pants. And if you don't like then go with the brace and try some on...or online with good return policy.

I have a Don Joy and it's fits under my Avalanche pants, but not my Salomon.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
he doctor today asked if I was going up for opening day, and then, "why didn't you get a pass?" Because I was using a cane during pass-buying time!
I'm in the opposite position- I bought passes but will now be deferring most of them. The surgeon said he wouldn't be buying passes if he were me (he doesn't want me skiing until a year out) but I decided I needed the extra motivation for PT. I didn't want to give up on the season just yet, and it gave me something to work towards. I also figured this would help me keep my renewal discounts for next year. I'm keeping my Wachusett steel pass though since it wasn't that much, and hoping that I will feel my knee is up to some easy runs late season. But first, more strength and balance work.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the opposite position- I bought passes but will now be deferring most of them. The surgeon said he wouldn't be buying passes if he were me (he doesn't want me skiing until a year out) but I decided I needed the extra motivation for PT. I didn't want to give up on the season just yet, and it gave me something to work towards. I also figured this would help me keep my renewal discounts for next year. I'm keeping my Wachusett steel pass though since it wasn't that much, and hoping that I will feel my knee is up to some easy runs late season. But first, more strength and balance work.
I bought my pass a couple of months after my accident to lock in the early bird pricing and purchased the insurance just in case I wasn't able to use it.
Luckily I was :hail:
On another note, I've just got back from PT and she told me it will be another year until I'm fully back to pre accident condition !! She's already coming up with a pre season plan :love:
One thing she did say was that I should be choosing between A) Length of time on the slopes and B) Intensity ie Stay out longer if just cruising and if I'm really going for it then call it earlier ... hope that makes sense.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The doctor today asked if I was going up for opening day, and then, "why didn't you get a pass?" Because I was using a cane during pass-buying time!

I'll just ski Nordic Valley until the mid-March pass sale.
The advantage of skiing at a smaller mountain in the year or so after knee rehab is that it's easier to stay on more mellow terrain. I found that having a home mountain that didn't have any off-piste terrain was helpful. Didn't travel to a destination resort out west for a couple months that season. Massanutten was about 70 acres and 1100 ft vertical, compared to 500 acres and 1700 ft vertical at Nordic Valley.

I see Nordic Valley has a 5-pack for private 2-hr lessons. Might be a good investment.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One thing she did say was that I should be choosing between A) Length of time on the slopes and B) Intensity ie Stay out longer if just cruising and if I'm really going for it then call it earlier ... hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. Whenever I've been recovering from an injury, I'd be up for an "adventure run" or two in the morning. After lunch I'd keep skiing but on more mellow terrain. Even if that meant skiing solo for a while when on a trip with friends who were advanced skiers. Was actually easier after I started taking lessons more regularly because I was learning more drills to practice on groomers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly