• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

(MCL)

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw the sports medicine doc at the ski patrol clinic who also practices locally and is well-regarded in my circle of sporty friends. Kind of lucky to be able to follow up with the same person who did the diagnosis, which I have scheduled in three weeks. I also have a line on a good knee guy courtesy of an athletic trainer friend if I need a second opinion.

There are pros to wiping out at your home mountain.

Anyhow, a little more detail. MCL is obviously not in good shape due to the absurd amount of sideways motion my leg exhibited at the manual exam. ACL still "stops" forward motion so it is fine, and the MCL usually tears completely only if the ACL is also gone.

We may order an MRI but I wanted to give it a few days on the grounds that I want to have a better sense of the symptoms I'm experiencing to help interpret the MRI. I had so much adrenaline in me that my initial sense of where it hurt was confused. Right now my knee is stiff, but not painful at all. Swelling dropped dramatically this morning.

I'm leaning toward getting an MRI because it would be just like me to blow an ACL with no obvious symptoms.

I asked about PT, after we'd talked about getting me on a bike trainer as soon as I feel like it and what motions are OK w.r.t. other exercises and he said in his experience it wasn't necessary but we could explore it if I want.

Right now I'm just getting a sense of where I'm at and hoping to start gentle biking later this week.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm confused, without the MRI, how did they know the MCL was torn? I might push for that to get a little more clarity on what's going on.

Also want to sympathize as I busted my knee and am out for the season.
Sorry to hear it! I'm beginning to think this sport is kinda dumb. ⛷️♀️

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm confused, without the MRI, how did they know the MCL was torn? I might push for that to get a little more clarity on what's going on.
When I popped off an ACL (not a skiing injury), the ortho PA I saw after the referral from my family physician could tell from the pain location that the MCL was strained before the MRI was done. By that time there was relatively little swelling and no pain except with certain movements and pressure at the wrong spot. What the MRI revealed was the status of the meniscus and the fact that the ACL was no longer attached at all. The MCL strain didn't really show up on the MRI as I remember.

We may order an MRI but I wanted to give it a few days on the grounds that I want to have a better sense of the symptoms I'm experiencing to help interpret the MRI. I had so much adrenaline in me that my initial sense of where it hurt was confused. Right now my knee is stiff, but not painful at all. Swelling dropped dramatically this morning.

I'm leaning toward getting an MRI because it would be just like me to blow an ACL with no obvious symptoms.
Since my knee injury happened when I wasn't in the USA, it was about 3 weeks before the MRI was done. Seemed useful to wait until the swelling was almost gone. Certainly easier to deal with the ortho exam, compared to what my family physician tried to do shortly after I got home. She ended up given up by saying "you're guarding so much I can't tell anything." The X-ray she ordered didn't show any bone damage.

I started PT as soon as I got the referral to the ortho practice. We assumed the ACL was gone, but were mostly working on getting Range Of Motion for that knee back to normal.

The difference in laxity between the good knee and the bad knee about 3 weeks after the MRI was minimal in my case. That's when I first talked with the ortho surgeon.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
I saw the sports medicine doc at the ski patrol clinic who also practices locally and is well-regarded in my circle of sporty friends. Kind of lucky to be able to follow up with the same person who did the diagnosis, which I have scheduled in three weeks. I also have a line on a good knee guy courtesy of an athletic trainer friend if I need a second opinion.

There are pros to wiping out at your home mountain.

Anyhow, a little more detail. MCL is obviously not in good shape due to the absurd amount of sideways motion my leg exhibited at the manual exam. ACL still "stops" forward motion so it is fine, and the MCL usually tears completely only if the ACL is also gone.

I asked about PT, after we'd talked about getting me on a bike trainer as soon as I feel like it and what motions are OK w.r.t. other exercises and he said in his experience it wasn't necessary but we could explore it if I want.

Right now I'm just getting a sense of where I'm at and hoping to start gentle biking later this week.
Yeah it's the instability you mentioned that would make me think acl... my friend tore hers skiing last year and didn't get an mri for months and then ultimately needed acl recon. Mine was very swollen for 2 weeks.. but from all i've read and heard it really does vary across people.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get the MRI whenever it's recommended for you (usually when the swelling goes down). The assessment of soft tissue that's done on the hill when the injury occurs is hit or miss because all they have to go on is manual tests, an x-ray if it's a full on medical practice, and things that "usually" occur together. Example: when I got a tibial plateau fracture, the clinic MD and the residents were so convinced that my reconstructed ACL had been ruptured as well, they basically signed me up for some study on the spot. Turns out all I had was the fracture, the clinic MDs were all wrong, and I got to tell the study coordinator that I wouldn't participate. Personally, I don't think when you go in for your follow up that you need to be super precise -- they will likely do more manual tests to narrow down diagnoses and order an MRI, which is accurate enough, although it also doesn't always catch everything, and there are just some things that can't/won't be diagnosed without going into surgery and seeing what's up. Also take into account that it could be a while before you can get scheduled for an MRI, so if you wait until you have a better feel for what's going on, it could delay followup treatment, etc. Food for thought.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MRI is scheduled for Monday. I got the thorough clinic notes today which confirm my memory they suspected MCL grade 2 tear but think the ACL is fine based on the series of manual exams. I'm bearing weight without crutches today and moving pretty well, if carefully.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm surprised no PT, too! But I'd guess you could go anyway? I know with my insurance, I could. Who did you see here? It's not a bad idea to wait for the MRI so the swelling can go down, as Pequenita mentioned.

Cycling was the best thing ever after my TPF. I also (I found out later) tore my LCL at the same time. Who knew! But biking has been my knees' best friend especially since the injury. So get after it when you can!

beane

Certified Ski Diva
MRI results are in. ACL, MCL, LCL complete tears. Supporting tendons(popliteal/fibula) also torn. Mild bone bruise. Basically exploded my knee and anything that was seen talking with my knee.

But now I'm walking around and taking stairs (braced)?
so sorry to hear this. are you going to have ACL reconstruction?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. That is quite the knee injury, particularly the tendons. I'm so sorry. There's not much else to break, but stay in that brace to keep things stable. I don't know where you're located....but don't go into the ocean because the waves will knock your bones around, and that really hurts. What are the next steps* for you?

* can include hiding under the covers, crying hot tears of frustration, and eating bon bons in bed.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I meet with the doctor next week. I can't imagine that surgery isn't in the future, but I'd like to prehab first. I might call the doctor today to see if it's still okay for me to use the bike trainer.

I'm in Utah and so no risk of accidental oceans.

Good news is that the meniscus looks fine.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MRI results are in. ACL, MCL, LCL complete tears. Supporting tendons(popliteal/fibula) also torn. Mild bone bruise. Basically exploded my knee and anything that was seen talking with my knee.

Yikes !!! Thats quite the shopping list ! Sending lots of healing viibes xx

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Wow. Hope they will let you pre-hab and the rest comes back smoothly.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Oh no!!! Holy cow, I am so sorry!

Jenny

Angel Diva

Dang, you really did a pretty complete job. Good luck with the surgery and rehab.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Oh my goodness. That’s so much. And also look how tough you are being all mobile and s***.
Sending you good thoughts for a healthy resolution to this affair?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly