• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

(MCL)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The doctor today asked if I was going up for opening day, and then, "why didn't you get a pass?" Because I was using a cane during pass-buying time!

I'll just ski Nordic Valley until the mid-March pass sale.
I might be able to hook you up with a day pass or two. :wink:

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the opposite position- I bought passes but will now be deferring most of them. The surgeon said he wouldn't be buying passes if he were me (he doesn't want me skiing until a year out) but I decided I needed the extra motivation for PT. I didn't want to give up on the season just yet, and it gave me something to work towards. I also figured this would help me keep my renewal discounts for next year. I'm keeping my Wachusett steel pass though since it wasn't that much, and hoping that I will feel my knee is up to some easy runs late season. But first, more strength and balance work.
Too much detail....

The issue I had was that while I could get pass protection for my pass, I had to make a decision about the kids' passes, too. DH doesn't ski and the kids' passes can't be canceled for my knee. So we decided we'd do a year at Nordic with the kids getting lessons and then return the next year.

And... then I didn't get surgery. And then it turns out that Nordic doesn't do weekend group lessons for seven-year-olds. And the 7yo balked at having private lessons all by herself with no friends and no mommy.

So here is my insanity:
7yo is getting lessons at Snowbasin with her best friend.
10yo is getting lessons at Nordic and three days at Snowbasin on the SkiUtah kids' pass.
I will test out my knee at Nordic and possibly get lessons at Powder (university hack.)

Now I have to get my pinky out of the air and make the butlers wax the skis ....this got rapidly out of hand.

If I am good to go and Ikon hasn't ruined the mountain, we'll buy the early bird in March and ski the spring. If I'm not, everyone gets Nordic next year and I get a fat bike.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought my pass a couple of months after my accident to lock in the early bird pricing and purchased the insurance just in case I wasn't able to use it.
Luckily I was :hail:
On another note, I've just got back from PT and she told me it will be another year until I'm fully back to pre accident condition !! She's already coming up with a pre season plan :love:
One thing she did say was that I should be choosing between A) Length of time on the slopes and B) Intensity ie Stay out longer if just cruising and if I'm really going for it then call it earlier ... hope that makes sense.
My doctor said: you're fine, but this is about confidence. So: ski sunny days, stay on the easy runs, and stop as soon as I feel tired.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try brace with your current pants. And if you don't like then go with the brace and try some on...or online with good return policy.

I have a Don Joy and it's fits under my Avalanche pants, but not my Salomon.

Definitely I will try it, but the Obermeyer pants I have barely contain my quads now, so it depends on the brace. I still have to get fitted for it.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The advantage of skiing at a smaller mountain in the year or so after knee rehab is that it's easier to stay on more mellow terrain. I found that having a home mountain that didn't have any off-piste terrain was helpful. Didn't travel to a destination resort out west for a couple months that season. Massanutten was about 70 acres and 1100 ft vertical, compared to 500 acres and 1700 ft vertical at Nordic Valley.

I see Nordic Valley has a 5-pack for private 2-hr lessons. Might be a good investment.
Also it's significantly cheaper so easy to call it a day for my stingy butt. I will definitely get lessons, either through Nordic (private) or Powder (group.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
So here is my insanity:
10yo is getting lessons at Nordic and three days at Snowbasin on the SkiUtah kids' pass.
I will test out my knee at Nordic and possibly get lessons at Powder (university hack.)

This idea doesn't seem insane at all for a parent with two kids. I only had one kid to deal with. My non-skiing husband stopped going with us for weekend trips to our home hill that is a 4-hr drive 1-way by the time the kid was 6.

As a tween, my daughter would ski for about 45 min with me at our home hill and then want to take a break. She would lobby to quit early on the days she didn't do ski school (9:30-2:00), no matter how good conditions were. If we brought along a friend, the two girls would stay out for 90 min before needing any sort of break. Skiing in the afternoon was a given. Even if the friend could only ski greens and the easiest blue (mid-station unloading), even though my daughter could ski the blues and the easier black (like a blue at Alta) on the upper mountain. Massanutten is so small that letting tweens ski alone is fine, so I could take some solo runs on the upper mountain.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Too much detail....

The issue I had was that while I could get pass protection for my pass, I had to make a decision about the kids' passes, too. DH doesn't ski and the kids' passes can't be canceled for my knee. So we decided we'd do a year at Nordic with the kids getting lessons and then return the next year.

And... then I didn't get surgery. And then it turns out that Nordic doesn't do weekend group lessons for seven-year-olds. And the 7yo balked at having private lessons all by herself with no friends and no mommy.

So here is my insanity:

Now I have to get my pinky out of the air and make the butlers wax the skis ....this got rapidly out of hand.

If I am good to go and Ikon hasn't ruined the mountain, we'll buy the early bird in March and ski the spring. If I'm not, everyone gets Nordic next year and I get a fat bike.
Let's pick a day or two with great weather forecast and I seriously can get you some $20 day passes* for SB. IKON has ruined it, but maybe we'll have a more "normal" snow year so the hoards won't quite show up like they did last year.

*Rules apply--We need to ski together because I want to :wink:, and I avoid Saturdays except holiday weekends aren't as nuts as due to blacked out passes. (OK, I'll go on a Saturday as my husband is scheduled to teach every Saturday anyway.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna