• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Massanutten 2017-18

marzNC

Angel Diva
Paradice, Mass Transit, and Yee Ha (connector between Lifts 5 and 6) are open! Snowmaking on Upper and Lower MakAttack. That means the entire mountain will probably be open by the demo weekend, Jan. 6-7. :thumbsup:

With the really cold weather today, doesn't look like the lift lines at the base are long at all. That's pretty common in the southeast when temps are in the teens or 20s.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 11.49.32 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Demo Weekend by Freestyle of Charlottesville is going to be really good in terms of open terrain. Always better when Mass Transit and Yee Ha are open so that it's possible to do demo runs on Showtime as well as Paradice or DJ. Might even be able to check out some bumps on MakAttack.

For those near Charlottesville who don't have a season pass to Mnut, Freestyle is offering BOGO vouchers good on Jan. 6 or 7. I might be stopping by Freestyle earlier that week so PM me if you would like a voucher.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently Massanutten had a little snow last night. All the trails are open with no snowmaking. Certainly a very good holiday weekend for those who have the right clothing and outerwear for cold temps.

" 1" of new snow put a nice top coat on already stellar conditions. Mostly cloudy with high temperatures around 30. Snowmaking will resume tonight. "

marzNC

Angel Diva
At Massanutten tonight getting ready for the Demo Day tomorrow. Temps in the single digits at dinner time. A friend skied today for a few hours. Said it was cold but conditions were really good. Blues had a few slick spots yesterday but everything stayed nice up top today with fewer people around.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Frigid day for northern VA, temps from 3 to 10 degrees at the mountain weather station. Great snow conditions with all trails open. Huge snow whales on Mass Transit were a little tricky since they were very tall, solid, and steep. Pretty much no lift lines all day due to the cold weather.

Lower Showtime (blue) merge into Southern Comfort (green) at 11am
Mnut 06Jan2018 - 2.jpg

Demo tent by Freestyle of Charlottesville
Mnut 06Jan2018 - 6.jpg

MarzNC and Alison at the top of Lift 6 (black only)
Mnut 06Jan2018 - 5.jpg

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thanks for the fun-filled day @marzNC at M'nut. Finally I got to check out this place.

I had a little fashion emergency that day. I stuffed 2 layers of my baselayer pants inside my boots. (1st time wearing 2 layers because it was so cold).

During my lift ride with MarzNC:

Me: My R foot feels numb and I think I need to adjust my boots.

(We then reached to the top of Lift 6)
MarzNC: Do you want to do it now?

Me: Now as here?

MarzNC: Yes! If you foot is numb, you should do something now.....

Me: I think I tucked both of my base layers inside my boots and that's why foot is numb....

MarzNC: The only thing inside your boots should be ski socks and nothing else! Didn't your boot fitter tell you? Probably he didn't, coz he thinks you should know that. .... Did you read a post on Ski Diva about this topic?

Me: My boot fitter never told me that... I might have read it somewhere but then I forgot.... :doh:

I guess I learned something new everyday....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yesterday, 1/17, Massanutten was not in the bullseye for snow like my house in central NC. But still got a little snow. Called it a "micro pow day" in the morning snow conditions report.

Meanwhile, I got at least 5 inches of powder in my yard. The first snow in the morning was wet, but soon the temps went down just enough to produce some really nice fluff. Made clearing off the cars easy. I was actually hoping to make a snowman but the snow was way too dry to roll a good base.

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 7.14.01 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
As of 1/18, base depth is up to 40 inches. Not sure I remember ever seeing it that high. Got down to single digits again but warming up to high 30s or low 40s today. Snowmaking on all trails last night and into the day while it's cold enough. Doing as much snowmaking as possible before the weekend.

Going to warm up again, which will make for great spring skiing conditions. It's VA after all. That's an advantage of skiing in the southeast. After two cold weekends, I'm ready to use a shell jacket instead of all the layers that are needed when it's in the teens or low 20s all day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Shell jacket worked well today. Temps were mostly in the 30s all day. The snowpack is deep enough that it felt colder and there really wasn't any noticeable melting. Should be very good conditions on Sat morning.

100% open now that the CMB Terrain park (the one with a J-bar) is open. Nuttin-to-It is back to being a green connector between Lift 3 (Geronimo) and Southern Comfort. The bumps on MakAttack are fun. The bumps at the top of Paradice are a bit strange because they are being more by folks who want to catch air. For the first time there are easy bumps seeded on Geronimo (green) where the beginner terrain park used to be. There is a zipper line that can be practiced.

marzNC

Angel Diva
After a warm up last weekend, cooler temps should mean snowmaking tonight. The base at Massanutten is so deep that a few days of 50s is really not an issue. Just meant spring skiing and no need for multiple base layers or heated gloves.

I'll be back to Mnut for one more Gold Clinic on Sun morning. Probably driving on Sat morning so won't be skiing until the afternoon.

* * * Snow Report on 1/24/18
Mostly cloudy with the temperature holding in the mid and upper 30's today. Our snowmakers will be back to work tonight and tomorrow night refreshing the surface on our still solid base.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For assorted reasons, I won't be skiing at Mnut this weekend. However, today is a good example of why a forecast of rain is not necessarily a reason to stay away. The way the weather fronts go and the fact that Massanutten is at the end of a range often means that heavy rain is not a factor. I've skied at Mnut when there was no rain on the mountain but it rained all day in the surrounding Shenandoah Valley.

* * * Snow Report on 1/28/18, Sunday
It looks lilke the forecasted rain has mostly missed us. High temperatures around 50 again today with colder air moving in tonight and tomorrow. Light snow possible tomomorow night, snowmaking will resume as temperatures allow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yesterday was quite nice at Mnut from what I saw in the evening. Snow guns were on in the morning all over but off by mid-morning. Talked with someone in the evening who had been skiing all day who was pretty happy. By evening, the usual places were skied off. But most of Geronimo was pretty good. I was playing around with my daughter's tele gear so stuck to the greens. Took a last run down Showtime. The very top was definitely skied off. But after the headwall, it was still quite good.

Temps were around 30 all evening. After skiing in single digits the day before, felt good for working on beginner tele turns.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are high clouds as of 7am but in a gap in the storm that's bringing snow to WV. Hoping the rain will hold off until after lunch. Doing another Gold Clinic this morning.

* * * Snow Report on 2/4/18, Sunday
Sunny with high temps in the mid 30's. The snowmakers have resurfaced just about everything and will be shutting down by mid-morning today. You might find some "gun - powder" on Upper Mak attack this morning, great day to get outside and slide. Light snow possible Sunday morning

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's already in the mid-30s on the mountain as of 7:45am. There are a few snowflakes floating about. :snow:

Will be using Hot Buns to keep dry on chairlifts today.

* * * Snow Report on 2/5/18, Sunday, 7:17am
Temps in the mid 30's. Light snow possible Sunday morning, Then a wintry mix.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh well, when I headed west a few weeks ago the snowpack at Massanutten was in good shape. But after a couple weeks with temps in the 50s and even 60s, the melting was significant. They managed to get through the Pres. Day long weekend but that was essentially the last hurrah. As of 5pm on Sat, 24Feb, the ski slopes are closed. Snow tubing still open today but then probably done for this winter.

Given that few people show up after Pres. Day even when there is good coverage, I doubt they will fire up snow guns even if a cold snap arrived in the next week. Unfortunately that means the Boy Scout day on March 4 won't happen.

A friend who spent the holiday weekend at Mnut with her daughter and friends had a good time. They'd been to Mnut before but missed out last season.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 12.20.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 12.21.07 PM.png

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
North Carolina Report: Saphire is closed. Wolf Ridge is closed. Beech Mountain closes today. Sugar Mountain is pitiful with only beginnger slopes left and I expect them to close any day. Appalachian being small with 100& snowmaking still has all but 2 black runs open. Cataloochee, also with snowmaking on most of the mountain, has done an awesome job of relocating snow over these rainy and too warm past three weeks, but snow is being eaten up by the hour and they're down to midstation and Easy Way only. They've gotten an extension on the water for snowmaking until March 10th, but there's still no cold in the forecast....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Almost no snow left to be seen on the Mnut webcams, but they aren't giving up yet. This weekend is supposed to include a special deal for Boy Scouts. If snowmaking can happen for enough hours on Fri and Sat nights, the greens and easy blue could be open for that at least. Plus snow tubing for timeshare guests.

* * * Snow Report on 3/1/18, Thursday
Our battle with mother nature is not over yet! The forecast shows some colder temperatures returning and our snowmakers are ready to make snow if temperatures allow. We still have one more rain event to deal with before the the colder air arrives, but there is a chance we can get some slopes back open for the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned for updates!

marzNC

Angel Diva
They did it! Massanutten re-opened. Still enough snow at the top for Lift 6 to be open for the two blacks Diamond Jim and Paradice to be open, plus Southern Comfort (green) and the teaching area. March 11 is Heroes on the Hill Day where military families can get free lift tickets. I'm guessing that with cold nights predicted for the coming week, the idea is to be open next weekend as well.

Season pass holders are encouraged to bring a friend once while the slopes are open. Can get one free lift ticket. That's a new idea I think.

* * * Snow Report on 3/4/18, Sunday, 7:09am
Well after a week hiatus we are back in the game. We'll be open today from 9 am - 5 pm with Southern Comfort, Diamond Jim and Paradice open served by lifts #4 and #6. NO INTERMEDIATE TERRIAN WILL BE OPEN TODAY. THIN AND NARROW SPOTS EXIST, SKI WITH CAUTION!

Ski Season Passholder bonus - Ski Season Pass Holders Buddy Special! Starting March 4th, ski season pass holders can receive one free slope-use ticket for a friend. This special can only be used one time per Passholder during the 2017/18 snow sports season. Season pass holders must show their season pass at the ticket window to receive their one free ticket.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking continuing at 10am on Monday since the temp is 27 degrees and there really aren't any paying customers on Southern Comfort. Probably making snow on Paradice and DJ too. A few instructors showed up for the 9am lineup. I imagine they went to Lift 6.

Turns out that Scout Day at Massanutten was rescheduled from March 4 to Sat, March 10. March 11 was always on the calendar as Heroes On The Hill day for military families. By next weekend, Lower Showtime will be open in addition to Southern Comfort, Paradice, and DJ. That’s pretty much the core trails for early season or late season slopes. Having anything else open by mid-March is a bonus.

Night time temps should be good for snowmaking all week. :-)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Upper and Lower Showtime will be open by Friday! Going to be a great weekend considering the slopes were almost all grass a couple weeks ago.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 10.57.28 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly