• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Massachusetts skiing 2018-19 --Wachusett, Berkshire East, Jiminy Peak.... and more!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone have any experience with the 8 week adult clinics at Wachusett? Playing around with the thought of doing a weeknight one, but curious if it's worth it and how things are setup. It says intermediate and above, I'm wondering how many groups things are broken up into as well as what level instructors are used. Really wish Wachusett was on the Ikon pass, I'd be more apt to do it then versus needing some sort of pass on top of the clinic cost. Would be cool to get some lessons in locally during the week though if they are worthwhile!

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone have any experience with the 8 week adult clinics at Wachusett?
Don't know any specifics. Perhaps @TeleChica could chime in. She's an instructor at Wawa.

My impression is that Wawa has put a lot of effort into the ski school for all ages. Very strong programs for kids of all ages. It's pretty amazing to watch the buses roll in starting around 2:30 midweek. Also a strong race program for all ages. That's one reason Wawa can get pretty busy during the night sessions, even midweek.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I took one of the Women's Clinics several years ago. It was Thursday mornings and I had a good time. I signed up for a 4 week session not the full 8 weeks. They do their best to keep the groups small and similar skill levels. Learned the I am short radius turn person and that skis w/ a short turn radius work best for me.
The only downside was if you couldn't get to a class - illness, weather - tough luck - no credit, no extending. I missed the 1st class because of a coastal snowstorm of all things. It was snowing like crazy at my house but not at Wachusett. I live 90+ mins from Wachusett so it would have been torture getting there and probably would have missed the class anyways.

I've also gone to the K2 women's day a couple times and had a great time.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't know any specifics. Perhaps @TeleChica could chime in. She's an instructor at Wawa.

My impression is that Wawa has put a lot of effort into the ski school for all ages. Very strong programs for kids of all ages. It's pretty amazing to watch the buses roll in starting around 2:30 midweek. Also a strong race program for all ages. That's one reason Wawa can get pretty busy during the night sessions, even midweek.

Hi @marzNC I just need to correct you--I am NOT an instructor at WaWa (although I know one). I teach at an AMC Telemark Workshop that takes place at WaWa, but I am not employed by the mountain. :smile:

Just didn't want there to be any confusion!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi @marzNC I just need to correct you--I am NOT an instructor at WaWa (although I know one). I teach at an AMC Telemark Workshop that takes place at WaWa, but I am not employed by the mountain. :smile:

Just didn't want there to be any confusion!
Oops, sorry. Thanks for the clarification. In any case, I think of you when I have questions about tele skiing at Wachusett.

I did get a chance to talk to Tele Ted last season but never could schedule a private lesson. Did shadow one for a couple runs though. Picked up a couple pointers.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I will be at Wachusett tomorrow if anyone else is around. Probably ski in the morning for a few hours since it's my "opening day". I'm an early bird so roughly 9 - 12 give or take. Red pants, white and gray jacket, turquoise helmet. @marzNC and @diymom - I'll be taking the Absolute Joys tomorrow.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hopefully we will overlap a bit-- I am going but have some errands on my way so might not get there until 11 or so. I'll keep an eye out for you when I get there. Burnt orange jacket and dark green pants, teal helmet.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Hopefully we will overlap a bit-- I am going but have some errands on my way so might not get there until 11 or so. I'll keep an eye out for you when I get there. Burnt orange jacket and dark green pants, teal helmet.
If we do meet up we will certainly look like a box of crayons :becky:.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wachusett has some specials for December 21- the shortest day of the year. There's a $59 learn to ski package, sharp and smooth tuning special, half price half day demos, music from 4-6, and short ribs in the Coppertop.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The International Women's Snow Day at Wachusett on Jan. 12, 2019 looks like fun. But I'll be at Massanutten that weekend. Any of the Boston Divas going besides @marymack ?

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 9.08.38 AM.png

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tempted, but my pass is weekdays only. It doesn't look like Wawa has any discounts for the event.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Tempted, but my pass is weekdays only. It doesn't look like Wawa has any discounts for the event.
Based on the event at Massanutten, you could participate in the Apres stuff without riding lifts that day. Could be one way to meet other women who are Wachusett regulars. SheJumps gets some pretty good stuff for their raffles if you were willing to buy some raffle tickets. All the stuff is donated so that's how they do fundraising.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Correction, Wawa does have a slight discount- if you go to the SheJumps Facebook page, under events you will find all of the IWSD events on Jan. 12 (including Massanutten). Tickets through there are $60 (they had a whopping 5 available for $40, which of course are sold out.) For beginners $70 will get you a lower mountain ticket and a lesson. Looks like they already have quite a few signed up for the day, so should be fun. I am still tempted, but not commited

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am still tempted, but not commited
Certainly no point to go unless the weather cooperates. At least on a Saturday, you don't have to worry quite so much about traffic on the way home compared to weekday rush hour.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Certainly no point to go unless the weather cooperates
Exactly what I was thinking. The forecast is looking a bit better for the new year, and they should be able to start the guns up again tomorrow night- but sitting here looking at the rain out my kitchen window it seems better to wait a bit.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Late to the party, but...Berkshire Ice is a GREAT place to ski on holidays. There's minimal lodging in the area, so it's all local traffic and does NOT draw vacationing crowds. Sure you get the ski racers, but they tend to congregate on a very small number of runs. Next to no lift-lines, even on the morning after a major powder dump on President's Weekend.

BEast is my local hill (not my home mountain, though), but I avoid it unless there's been a good quantity of natural snow in the past week or so. Their snowmaking and grooming is not, shall we say, a major selling point for the ski area. Also, if what you're used to is Wachusett, BEast may come as something of a nasty shock. Given the vert, it's very steep, and the trails are your classic New England experience (narrow, steep, and icy) and the ski area's attitude towards trail signage can be summed up in the old chestnut "If you have to ask, you're in the wrong place". The Berkshire East greens are not a lot easier than Conifer at Wachusett, and the typical blue at BEast is on a par with Wachusett's 10th Mountain. The front blacks are comparable to Upper Whirlaway or Wild Turkey at Jiminy.

If you want a low-key, crowd-free, relatively inexpensive experience, and you don't need to stay right at the ski area, and you're comfortable on advanced trails at places like Jiminy and Wachusett, it's a great ski area for a day trip.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jumping ahead to March-- Wachusett already has the K2 women's Demo Day posted on their events page for Friday March 15. I emailed to sign up. They only have spots for 15, but I am assuming I am early enough to be in.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Jumping ahead to March-- Wachusett already has the K2 women's Demo Day posted on their events page for Friday March 15. I emailed to sign up. They only have spots for 15, but I am assuming I am early enough to be in.
Hmm, I'll be in Waltham by the evening of March 14. DD's spring break starts the afternoon of March 15. And I have a couple days left on my Wawa 3-peat card . . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly