• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks / Goggles

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you've been out there, how's it going with masks/goggles/face coverings?

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just skied with a mask on for the first time today, and while the weather was warm (~50 degrees!) I wanted to test out some options in a low pressure situation.

I brought a regular old cotton mask - a thick one I am really fond of with a nose wire and ear loops. But I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to take it on and off at the resort. I even tested taking it off under my helmet, which wasn’t nothing but certainly wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

I also brought 2 backup options - a thick fleece turtle fur neckwarmer that I could pull over my face at a moment’s notice and a much thinner gaiter that I could fold over if both those options proved to be uncomfortable.

But when I got to the resort, I just ended up wearing the mask. It kept my face just warm enough on the snow and I never really took it off except to eat and drink. I was worried it would fog the goggles, but it didn’t. It also didn’t make breathing any harder which didn’t surprise me since on a normal winter i use face coverings to keep my mouth and nose warm. I used the neckwarmer as just that without ever having to pull it over my face, and I didn’t need the thinner gaiter at all.

I’m not sure how well the cotton would work in actual cold weather and if it would get too cold, or if laying the cotton under something else would do the trick. Would love to hear from those who have had enough weather to test it!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s crazy but I have yet to ski this season. Our yearly trip to mammoth was cancelled because you can’t rent Airbnb due to the stay at home order. Soooo I planned a more local trip and am a bit unsure what others are doing for masks. I have heard about command hooks on helmets. Is that what everyone is doing? If not, what are the other good options? I’ll be skiing in so. cal so it won’t be cold.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
It’s crazy but I have yet to ski this season. Our yearly trip to mammoth was cancelled because you can’t rent Airbnb due to the stay at home order. Soooo I planned a more local trip and am a bit unsure what others are doing for masks. I have heard about command hooks on helmets. Is that what everyone is doing? If not, what are the other good options? I’ll be skiing in so. cal so it won’t be cold.

oooooooh, none of my friends had thought of this. I will try it if plan a doesn’t work...

This week I am going to sew small buttons onto my helmet straps to secure my mask. Will post a pic upon success and evaluation.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oooooooh, none of my friends had thought of this. I will try it if plan a doesn’t work...

This week I am going to sew small buttons onto my helmet straps to secure my mask. Will post a pic upon success and evaluation.

I love the command hooks on my helmet. No gaps on the Bioskin mask when I pull the sides tight. Also makes it easier for me to change the mask during the day when one gets too damp.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been using medical masks+Visor helmet (Giro Vue) with no fogging issues at all.
I fold a kleenex along the top edge of my medical mask, then put on my hemet and bring down the visor immediately. Works like a charm. The tissue absorbs moisture. Works for regular helmet/goggle combos too. The tissue trick is less effective with any other type of masks like cotton/cloth. The key is to bring down the visor/goggles immediately and not let them hangout on the top of the helmet at all.
I have tried different types of masks : astm1-3, cone, duckbill, earloop. I find the best for skiing for me is astm3 earloop medical masks, specifically the ones from Armbrust (made in TX). They hold up the best from moisture and are still in one piece at the end of the day. Other thinner ones I tried tore apart as soon as the mask started getting wet. I don’t like cloth or gaitor because i need to wash them every day. Doubt people are washing them daily so that’s pretty gross.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been using medical masks+Visor helmet (Giro Vue) with no fogging issues at all.
I fold a kleenex along the top edge of my medical mask, then put on my hemet and bring down the visor immediately. Works like a charm. The tissue absorbs moisture. Works for regular helmet/goggle combos too. The tissue trick is less effective with any other type of masks like cotton/cloth. The key is to bring down the visor/goggles immediately and not let them hangout on the top of the helmet at all.
I have tried different types of masks : astm1-3, cone, duckbill, earloop. I find the best for skiing for me is astm3 earloop medical masks, specifically the ones from Armbrust (made in TX). They hold up the best from moisture and are still in one piece at the end of the day. Other thinner ones I tried tore apart as soon as the mask started getting wet. I don’t like cloth or gaitor because i need to wash them every day. Doubt people are washing them daily so that’s pretty gross.

EYEWWWW I have always washed my balaclava and gaiter every day! Now I just add the masks to that wash.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I really like the Command hooks on the snow and did that route for a couple of weeks; it relieved some pressure I was feeling on one ear from a mask loop. I have also done the tie behind the head style mask under the helmet as well. The ease of the Command hooks is great if you want to swap at some point. One of mine did get knocked off in transport though, so keep an eye out and know you may need to reapply!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
EYEWWWW I have always washed my balaclava and gaiter every day! Now I just add the masks to that wash.
Same. My Skida Tour collection might seem large, but if you wear 1-2 each day and wash them after one use, the collection gets used! I am still building my mask collection.

Jilly

Staff member
I don’t like cloth or gaitor because i need to wash them every day. Doubt people are washing them daily so that’s pretty gross.

I wash my masks every night. I have 6 triple layer cloth masks for daily use. I have another 4 that are dedicated for skiing (they have the CSIA logo on them) and 2 Ski Diva masks that I use if I go inside so I don't have a wet one on. I also have a box of medical mask in the car along with all the other stuff....lysol wipes, gloves and hand sanitizer. My passenger foot well looks like the gown up area at the hospital....

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s the same as you see people hanging used masks on their rearview mirrors...
Not necessarily. I wear my ski mask 7 hours a day. The one on the mirror, 5 to 15 minutes tops every 4 days or so. It is an n95 that can't be washed, so the UV is my best approach to maximizing its lifespan.

newboots

Angel Diva
I keep a few quickie masks in the car for paying for gas, etc. or if I forget to bring one. I try to always have one in my pocket to use, say, after I sneeze or otherwise want to change or add to what I'm wearing (double up). And I change my mask when I go someplace different. I am usually washing two masks each night.

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is an n95 that can't be washed, so the UV is my best approach to maximizing its lifespan.
Except doesn't the windshield block most of the UV? I keep my rarely used n95 in the car but never thought of hanging it on the mirror.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly