• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks / Goggles

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Except doesn't the windshield block most of the UV? I keep my rarely used n95 in the car but never thought of hanging it on the mirror.
Probably does block the rays, but it is a good airy spot, hanging in such a way to quickly dry. Sends a good message too, in a town with pretty poor compliance.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Soooo I planned a more local trip and am a bit unsure what others are doing for masks. I have heard about command hooks on helmets. Is that what everyone is doing? If not, what are the other good options? I’ll be skiing in so. cal so it won’t be cold.

I put caribiners on the helmet straps by the ears for my mask.
I use these https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-Plastic.asp or you could buy this for under 10$ and use the clips on three helmets..... https://www.rei.com/product/102804/nite-ize-s-biner-keyrack-keychain

If anyone has the Covered California Masks they work great, multi layer and multi fabric. Work well with the carabiners.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not necessarily. I wear my ski mask 7 hours a day. The one on the mirror, 5 to 15 minutes tops every 4 days or so. It is an n95 that can't be washed, so the UV is my best approach to maximizing its lifespan.
I use 3M N95 masks, the ones that are stiff half-spheres, with two elastic bands going behind the head. At some point this summer I bought two boxes of these. They are NIOSH certified.

They hold their shape, don't touch the nostrils or lips, and have a great seal around the perimeter. I haven't been skiing yet with them, but I am doing vigorous hikes where I huff and puff plenty. These masks do get moist inside, and afterwards exhibit groady smells from microscopic things growing on whatever I exhaled during my hikes. They cannot be washed.

I put them in the oven at 180º for about 25-30 minutes, in a silicone container. They survive this just fine. The elastic keeps its elasticity (so far), and the little metal nose thing doesn't melt the white stuff the mask is made out of. They come out clean, no longer smelly. I got the temp from a chart somewhere that shows what temp is necessary to kill the coronavirus.

npskihappy

Certified Ski Diva
I have skied Mammoth about a dozen times this season. We're in California which I tend to think is the strictest state. If you are not worried personally about the layers in your mask, anything goes as far as the mountain goes. Thin gators, thick gators, etc as long as it covers your mouth and nose its accepted. I personally like a paper mask on warmer days and didn't find too many fogging issues. I put a gaiter under my googles now and its definitely my go to mask. I use my wool baclava on really cold days. I just bought a bunch of gaiters from Old Navy with ear straps. I wanted them for hiking and to be able to pull it down when I am charging down the hill and out of breath. I honestly think these are going to be my new go to mask on the hill, but it is questionably 2 layers...

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Command hooks: https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/co...529207+3294773823&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud

they come in different sizes and colors. I happen to have the white ones that are seen on my helmet a couple of posts before this one. I tried smaller clear ones but they didn’t stick. Possibly because they were older and the sticky part of the tape had given up. Command hooks are used to hang things on walls. Nothing heavy duty for something the size you would put on your helmet.

this lets you hook your mask around the command hook versus having it around your ears. Sometimes ears get tired having things hanging on them all the time. I also think this makes it easier for me to change to a dry mask during the day. I don’t have to take my helmet off.

newboots

Angel Diva
Command hooks attach to surfaces and can be removed without leaving a mark. (In theory. You have to do it perfectly.) You can get them at the hardware store, in the "office" section of the drugstore or supermarket, almost anywhere.

See photos above for the whereabouts.

Jilly

Staff member
After 3 days I think I've found a way to see and ski. I've been having issue with fog/freeze at the top of the lens. I took off my helmet and under the bit of the brim I have there was moisture. So that is freezing my goggles. So today I opened the helmet vents and wore a skull cap under my helmet. NO FOG, NO FREEZE. Now if I could have just kept my hands warm today....

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that I’ve had quite a few weekends with the Abom goggles, they are the bees knees!!! On really cold days I don’t even have to turn them on much. I also started wearing an oversized fleece balaclava, and its face mask portion sticks out and does not touch my nose and mouth. I tuck it under the googles, press a seal tight, and leave it like that all day. Works perfectly!

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that I’ve had quite a few weekends with the Abom goggles, they are the bees knees!!! On really cold days I don’t even have to turn them on much. I also started wearing an oversized fleece balaclava, and its face mask portion sticks out and does not touch my nose and mouth. I tuck it under the googles, press a seal tight, and leave it like that all day. Works perfectly!
@BMR, can you share the details/brand on the balaclava?

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@BMR, can you share the details/brand on the balaclava
I wish I could, but it is old, I’ve had it for ages in the back of my closet and never wore because it is too big. I discovered it when all my other ones were in the wash and I had no choice. I’ll look and see if there is a brand on it when we get back to the ski house next weekend.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok thanks, I thought this might be something new for the Covid market. My son and I are headed to Alta for spring break and I’m trying to check off all the new pandemic gear boxes well in advance!!
I wish I could, but it is old, I’ve had it for ages in the back of my closet and never wore because it is too big. I discovered it when all my other ones were in the wash and I had no choice. I’ll look and see if there is a brand on it when we get back to the ski house next weekend.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just remember the candle test, or a match, for your safety. If you can blow through whatever you were wearing and it can blow out a candle or a match then you are probably not sufficiently protected. And that was an idea before the COVID-19 variance which seem to be a lot more evil!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna