• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is everyone actually feeling the need to use filters in masks outside? I have a couple of masks that have filter pockets, but being that they are multilayered and being used outside I haven’t bothered with adding the filter piece yet.

I would only wear it with the filter if I expected any protection for me or those around me. If you were off by yourself it’s a non-issue, of course.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is everyone actually feeling the need to use filters in masks outside? I have a couple of masks that have filter pockets, but being that they are multilayered and being used outside I haven’t bothered with adding the filter piece yet.
This particular OR Adrenaline mask is not multi layered. Its cloth is like fishnet stockings. No filtration, not even for pretend. I keep posting these photos. I'll do it again.

Here's me holding the mask up to a window. The loose weave part is what the whole thing is made from; it protrudes out from the face nicely; that's one of the reasons I bought it. The dark part is a separate nylon (I think) layer that lies against the face. There's space between the two; the filter's edges fit into that pocket. But the filter moves around and folds up in the middle for me. I bought a bunch of filters. What a mistake. BA090ABB-327E-4BA2-93A7-F0094ECDEB69.jpeg
Here's a close up of the main cloth it's made of.
FADE5FDB-45B0-4ABC-B11E-584932B1574D.jpeg No filtering going on, not at all. If you want to look like you're wearing a mask without actually wearing a mask, this is the product for you. It sure won't reduce your air intake. It would fool any mountain employee checking for mask wearing in the lift line. I'm now wondering if this was their intention when they designed it.

Last edited:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This particular OR Adrenaline mask is not multi layered. Its cloth is like fishnet stockings. No filtration, not even for pretend. I keep posting these photos. I'll do it again.

No filtering going on, not at all. If you want to look like you're wearing a mask without actually wearing a mask, this is the product for you. It sure won't reduce your air intake. It would fool any mountain employee checking for mask wearing in the lift line. I'm now wondering if this was their intention when they designed it.
Gotta wonder! Even with a filter inside, that would mean you only had one layer of protection (e.g., the filter), so it definitely would not be adequate for anyone's protection -- total FAIL!

Jenny

Angel Diva

Here's me holding the mask up to a window. The loose weave part is what the whole thing is made from; it protrudes out from the face nicely; that's one of the reasons I bought it. The dark part is a separate nylon (I think) layer that lies against the face. There's space between the two; the filter's edges fit into that pocket. But the filter moves around and folds up in the middle for me. I bought a bunch of filters. What a mistake. View attachment 14257
Here's a close up of the main cloth it's made of.
View attachment 14256
No filtering going on, not at all. If you want to look like you're wearing a mask without actually wearing a mask, this is the product for you. It sure won't reduce your air intake. It would fool any mountain employee checking for mask wearing in the lift line. I'm now wondering if this was their intention when they designed it.

Can you attach the filters somehow, so they stay in place? Or do they fit in any other masks? I hate it when I spend money on something that doesn’t work right!

newboots

Angel Diva
Some of the reviewers of the OR said that the filter bunching up happened easily and repeatedly, and they noted that they had no protection at all once it did.

I haven't worn my new Seirus Evo Dana (if you're not skiing, the only appropriate place for it would have been Halloween, I think). But it does filter, and while I don't have a match (drat moving!), I tried blowing through it and there was a delay before I could feel my hot breath and then, not strongly.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, and by the way, I gave blood today. I asked the phlebotomist why they were only wearing surgical masks. He said the Red Cross started out by giving them N95 masks, but of course ran out. All they are provided are the surgical masks. Surgical masks are designed to keep one's breath from sending germs out to your patient. But there are noticeable gaps on the sides. They were never intended to prevent inhaling particles or germs. I wondered why they didn't get cloth masks and put them over or under the surgical masks.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some of the reviewers of the OR said that the filter bunching up happened easily and repeatedly, and they noted that they had no protection at all once it did.

I haven't worn my new Seirus Evo Dana (if you're not skiing, the only appropriate place for it would have been Halloween, I think). But it does filter, and while I don't have a match (drat moving!), I tried blowing through it and there was a delay before I could feel my hot breath and then, not strongly.
Yes, I think that Evo Dana has dense fabric and good filtration properties too. I think for lift line outdoors it's adequate protection. It's easy to pull up and down, so that's the biggest advantage probably. For me Bioskin earloop masks are easy to pull up and down too, even under the helmet and the get less soggy, so to each their own. I think we have to try different things and find what works best probably.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and by the way, I gave blood today. I asked the phlebotomist why they were only wearing surgical masks. He said the Red Cross started out by giving them N95 masks, but of course ran out. All they are provided are the surgical masks. Surgical masks are designed to keep one's breath from sending germs out to your patient. But there are noticeable gaps on the sides. They were never intended to prevent inhaling particles or germs. I wondered why they didn't get cloth masks and put them over or under the surgical masks.
Yikes, yeah they should be wearing N95 for sure. Everyone who is in close contact with others indoors should be wearing N95 and some kind of eye protection IMHO.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I had hair appointment yesterday and wore a surgical mask with a 3 layer cotton mask over it.

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok Divas, updates on both of the Outdoor Research masks (I have the OR Adrenaline, DH has the regular OR face mask).

Both use filters; the Adrenaline is constructed so that it sits off the face, making it easier to breathe. The regular mask rests closer to the face. As I mentioned before, I would NOT wear the Adrenaline without the filter, as there no real protection there. Someone mentioned that it seems silly to have only the single layer of the filter as protection; I think of it as a better-constructed-for-athletic-exertion surgical mask.

Both of them work on the slopes, but it’s true that if you take either of them off at any point to say, take a drink or eat a snack, the filter can pop out. It’s really annoying, especially if it’s attached to your ears under your helmet. DH just ended up pulling the filter out, and I dealt with the crumpled filter lightly poking at my lips.

Verdict: if you already have one (like me), it’s probably worth finding a way to keep the filters inside - I’m going to explore some self-sticking velcro stuff I have in my stash (I sew/own a clothing company, so I have access to such things). If you don’t have one, however, I’m not sure Id recommend the steep price + mandatory filters. I’ll continue watching this thread for better options!

newboots

Angel Diva
@ski_hat - Thanks for the update. We all buy our share of $30 masks and spread the word!

@liquidfeet - Those masks are good because they can fit well. The KN95, though, are essentially 95s made in China. Their filtration efficiency varies. An N95 has 95% filtration, and the KN95s have tested at anywhere from 70 - 95%.

I think a KN95 is a whole lot better than a mask that leaves gaps and doesn't fit. I'm planning to use the Seirus Evo Dana and I've ordered Bioskin masks on @Olesya Chornoguz 's recommendation. I like to have a few options stashed in my pocket.

I also have the Halo mask, which has a fancy nano-something filter. It fits well, stands away from the mouth (mostly), has this super-filter, and has foam inserts to keep it from fogging goggles. However, I wash my masks after one use, and you have to pull out the filter and reinsert it. It's not terribly difficult, but the kind of thing that might inspire you to pull out a different mask. My daily masks are the same, but I often just wear two instead of fiddling with the filters.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yikes, yeah they should be wearing N95 for sure. Everyone who is in close contact with others indoors should be wearing N95 and some kind of eye protection IMHO.

They certainly should. But the Red Cross can't obtain them. There's a shortage; it's April all over again. I know nothing about manufacturing and supply chains, but jeez, it's December. Nurses in Albany went on strike for a day because they have to re-use their PPE in a manner that's unsafe. Did we learn nothing in the spring? Why hasn't the supply kept up with the need? Public health experts were clear that there would be another surge in late fall.

Rant. Rave. Rage. Lots of people dying, and medical folks risking their lives to help them, going home from work crying.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@ski_hat - Thanks for the update. We all buy our share of $30 masks and spread the word!

@liquidfeet - Those masks are good because they can fit well. The KN95, though, are essentially 95s made in China. Their filtration efficiency varies. An N95 has 95% filtration, and the KN95s have tested at anywhere from 70 - 95%.

I think a KN95 is a whole lot better than a mask that leaves gaps and doesn't fit. I'm planning to use the Seirus Evo Dana and I've ordered Bioskin masks on @Olesya Chornoguz 's recommendation. I like to have a few options stashed in my pocket.

I also have the Halo mask, which has a fancy nano-something filter. It fits well, stands away from the mouth (mostly), has this super-filter, and has foam inserts to keep it from fogging goggles. However, I wash my masks after one use, and you have to pull out the filter and reinsert it. It's not terribly difficult, but the kind of thing that might inspire you to pull out a different mask. My daily masks are the same, but I often just wear two instead of fiddling with the filters.
I'm thinking I will like the Seirus Evo Dana mask and have tried it on, but haven't skied in it yet. I like the idea of no straps behind the ears. Also, don't think that mask has a filter (I didn't see one), so will keep a spare mask in my pocket when going indoors.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm sitting here watching the WC men's giant slalom on TV. The skier sitting in the leaders box was fumbling around, trying to get his mask on, and it was a surgical mask, and it was snowing, so won't it get wet? Anyway, thought it was interesting the pros are still figuring it out too.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Teachers, what are your students, esp kids, wearing?

I have mostly taught adults, but today's 13 year old had a simple fleece neck gaiter he pulled up 9ver his nose for lifts and lift lines.

Most of the kids I see in lessons have fleeces or buffs on their faces.

Jilly

Staff member
Most here are wearing some sort of face mask. A few "paper" masks about. But like @snoWYmonkey, I can't see how they would last.

I took a selfie this morning before I left, but it keeps coming up sideways. Try again tomorrow.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ski_hat - I've got the OR essentials mask, the more expensive one not being available (not tried it for skiing yet). I read that the filters could be a bit fiddly, and I'm sure I saw someone suggest ironing them before putting them in. Not tried this myself though and now can't find where I read that. Other than that - double-sided sticky tape maybe?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I have mostly taught adults, but today's 13 year old had a simple fleece neck gaiter he pulled up 9ver his nose for lifts and lift lines.

Most of the kids I see in lessons have fleeces or buffs on their faces.
Ouch -- that's not good! In the articles I've read about the various types of mask materials, fleece was listed as having negative protection; i.e., instead of blocking the virus, the viral particles appear to become caught in the fleece fibers and pass thru easily. Fleece alone is a big no-no.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly