• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

MissySki

Angel Diva
For the East coasters, I found the Ski the East mask great today! Didn’t need to pull it down to breath while skiing at all when I tried it out. Breathable and double layered, kept it on the couple of hours I was out with no issue. Best I’ve tried for exertion so far. Has a filter pocket but I didn’t feel the need to try it with that yet. I was super comfy and happy with it. Previous days skiing I used a buff type covering with ear loops and felt the need to pull it down to breath while skiing. I already have a couple more on order and I bought a Sunday River one that appears to be the same material and construction as well.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I just ordered one of these https://www.seirus.com/magnemask-combo-clava.html since I've been using the regular Combo-clava for yrs, and love it. I've been wanting to try one of these, but didn't want to shell out $50+, but today they're on both MooseJaw and Amazon for $38, so I decided to give it a try.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I may have found my personal solutions to 7 hour days of masked teaching. A looser buff with earloops for skiing and most teaching, which is thankfully distanced and outdoors. A modified elastic band on my n95 and stick on hooks on the helmet for rapid protection change overs when in an emclosed lift, bathrooms, and non distanced teaching. FB_IMG_1606699268799.jpg1129201656.jpg

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I may have found my personal solutions to 7 hour days of masked teaching. A looser buff with earloops for skiing and most teaching, which is thankfully distanced and outdoors. A modified elastic band on my n95 and stick on hooks on the helmet for rapid protection change overs when in an emclosed lift, bathrooms, and non distanced teaching. View attachment 14217View attachment 14218
OMG!! I almost choked on my iced tea when this photo opened! :rotf:
But this is brilliant! While trying to fall asleep last night I was thinking about how to rig up some way to attach my mask on the outside of my helmet -- this is it! Now, will those hooks stay on in extreme cold?

PS. If my ski instructor showed up looking like this, I might have second thoughts, LOL!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TNtoTaos ha! My students have so far beem entertained. My other buff is way wilder (bearded man singing with ornaments in his beard!).

I really hope the hooks stay on. It's been sub zero in the mornings, will know by tomorrow I guess.

I worried that the woder helmet would keep mask from giving me a good deal, but it did not thankfully.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
@TNtoTaos ha! My students have so far beem entertained. My other buff is way wilder (bearded man singing with ornaments in his beard!).

I really hope the hooks stay on. It's been sub zero in the mornings, will know by tomorrow I guess.

I worried that the woder helmet would keep mask from giving me a good deal, but it did not thankfully.
You know, in my van I have discovered that screw-in snaps are great for holding things together (like snap-on screens for windows). You could screw the base of the snap to the helmet, while the other side is attached by crimping it on (to the loops). I could find you a photo if you're interested.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
OR, a small amt of Gorilla Glue, or construction adhesive would work to hold those nice big hooks you've got there (good for gloved hands).

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are the standard type available at ACE hardware stores. They come with a foamy 2 sided sticker. The gorilla glue as suggested may need to come out if it does not hold up or a screw or two. Thankfully the last year for that helmet anyway.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
ok, first day thoughts, I went ahead and got the Buff tubes with filters. Kids HATED them, didn't really fit well for my little guy (age 4, turning 5 in January). DD is 7 and big for her age, she lasted for about 5 minutes with the filter in place before it just bunched up and became annoying. She just wore it without the filter for half the day before we just switched her over to her regular ear loop mask. I think kids are hard because they wind up just chewing on their mask all day and so both their masks were soaking wet by lunchtime.

DH and I both wore them as well. DH thought the bunching of the filter was slightly annoying but liked the lightweight fabric for warmer weather skiing, he said he'll continue wearing it. No problems with fogging of the mask for him.

I kind of had the same thoughts, it was fine, but not fantastic, got wet even though I wasn't doing a lot of mouth breathing and definitely had a funky smell when I put it back on after lunch!

I'm going to try out a few other combos in the upcoming weeks. I might just wind up wearing my regular neck protector for the lift lines and pulling it up over my mouth and nose and keeping my ear loop mask in my pocket for going inside to the bathroom or to grab food.

Also, for anyone who is looking for comfortable masks, check out Jaanuu, they do have a sale on right now, soft, fits well, ear straps do not bother anyone in the family.
thanks for the report on the Buff tube masks for adults and kids. I just bought them for myself, husband, and 8yo. So we shall see how we fare with them. Did you pull them up and down or just try to keep it up the whole time?

alr

Certified Ski Diva
For the East coasters, I found the Ski the East mask great today! Didn’t need to pull it down to breath while skiing at all when I tried it out. Breathable and double layered, kept it on the couple of hours I was out with no issue. Best I’ve tried for exertion so far. Has a filter pocket but I didn’t feel the need to try it with that yet. I was super comfy and happy with it. Previous days skiing I used a buff type covering with ear loops and felt the need to pull it down to breath while skiing. I already have a couple more on order and I bought a Sunday River one that appears to be the same material and construction as well.
Hi there- are these the masks? how did you find the ear loop cord stopper under the helmet. I have masks with adjustable ear loops and they hurt under my helmet (I wear my Bern Brentwood with liner when I bike, so I have already tried it out). Are these cord stoppers somehow less likely to hurt? https://www.skitheeast.net/apps/bundles/bundle/53873

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hi there- are these the masks? how did you find the ear loop cord stopper under the helmet. I have masks with adjustable ear loops and they hurt under my helmet (I wear my Bern Brentwood with liner when I bike, so I have already tried it out). Are these cord stoppers somehow less likely to hurt? https://www.skitheeast.net/apps/bundles/bundle/53873

They are indeed the ones. I didn’t have an issue with the cord stopper hurting my ears, but that could certainly be just an individual thing with our varying helmet fits and ear anatomy etc. :(

Reactions: alr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly