• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

marzNC

Angel Diva
The way that our ski area is interpreting the ADA guidelines for accommodations based on breathing or other mask related disabilities is that we can not do so safely for the other guests and they will be asked to leave the premises, with a full refund for their lift ticket or season pass. It is stated clearly online in their COVID policy updates for this winter season. This policy applies to everyone as many will falsely claim a disability. I can not speak to the reasoning behind the decision, but understand it from an enforceability point of view.
In the spring and early summer, airlines were finding far too many people were claiming a "medical disability" for why they "couldn't" wear a face covering on the plane. I know Southwest decided it wasn't worth the effort to try to be accommodating. Asking for some documentation didn't really make much difference since there really isn't a good way to verify that someone hasn't just printed it up on their computer.

In the Mountain West where there hasn't been state-wide mask mandates, makes sense to me to not allow a loophole when it comes to mask usage at a ski resort. Probably also the reason that some resorts want people to wear a mask all the time, indoors and outdoors. Most only require a mask outdoors when can't easily stay at least six feet from other people.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just received mine. (Seirus Thick and Thin ARC balaclava). Not a fan. Very snug, which I guess you need, but the mask is totally inadequate. You can see quite a bit of light though it. You'd want to combine this somehow with another mask. This is for folks who don't believe in masks, but want to pass inspection by the lift attendant. I'd return it if I hadn't had to clip it off a card. (Altho they may have said no returns, don't remember.) I'm thinking I could use it under a decent mask and just pull that up as I approach a liftline.
After playing with this Seirus EVO Arc Thick and Thin Headliner, I believe I'm going to use it under my helmet, but also use the Primal mask (it also has a frame) OVER it, but installed under my helmet as well. The combo seems pretty breathable (which tells you something, as that will be three layers of fabric and a filter) and the exterior of the Arc mask section is pretty slippery, so you can easily slide the outer Primal mask down if you are having breathing issues while you're skiing and just slide it up again as you approach the lift. I had my helmet and goggles on while I was testing. Thank goodness for the Abom goggles. My dog did not like the look one bit, though.

newboots

Angel Diva
@sibhusky - eagerly awaiting news of your trial of this on snow.

A picture of your dog unhappy about your “disguise “ would be appreciated, too. :wink:

Christy

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet The way that our ski area is interpreting the ADA guidelines for accommodations based on breathing or other mask related disabilities is that we can not do so safely for the other guests and they will be asked to leave the premises, with a full refund for their lift ticket or season pass. It is stated clearly online in their COVID policy updates for this winter season. This policy applies to everyone as many will falsely claim a disability. I can not speak to the reasoning behind the decision, but understand it from an enforceability point of view. I do not teach adaptive. Our base are has 4 lifts, and 3 of them are enclosed (gondolas and tram).

Here is the policy copied from the website: "
Please provide Jackson Hole Mountain Resort a minimum of 72 hours of advanced notice for unique accessibility or accommodation concerns.

JHMR uses use the most up to date information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), as well as state and local public health agencies to impose legitimate safety requirements necessary for our safe operation based on real, specific risks. These safety requirements are consistent with regulations about direct threat from the ADA and are consistent with advice from the CDC and public health authorities. A direct threat is a significant risk to the health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated by a modification of policies, practices, or procedures, or by the provision of auxiliary aids or services.
Unfortunately, there is no accommodation that we are able to make for skiers with regard to wearing face coverings at this time. If you purchased a ticket to ski or ride and are unable to wear a face covering you will be eligible for a refund. "

I see stores, particularly grocery stores, here that have big signs starting there are no exceptions to the mask rule. I was sort of under the impression that claims of not being able to wear a mask were bs. Are there truly conditions that prevent a person from wearing one?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I used the Seirus EVO Arc Dana on the mountain today and came away very pleased with it. Make sure to just cover the very top of the mask with your goggles; after that I didn't have any issues with fogging (Smith I/O Mag).

Re: questions about wetness of the mask. Yes, your breath does form condensate on the interior. However, the wire at the front of the mask keeps the fabric from actually touching your face, so it doesn't feel gross or cold. Sometimes it gets a bit stuffy, so I just lifted my goggles away from my face for five or six seconds on the lift and it was fine.

Long story short, I definitely recommend the mask.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Well shoot. I just ordered a pair last week after reading...here? Elsewhere? That these never go on sale.
I am not going to gloat -- I had already told myself there was no way I could justify spending that much for goggles + lens, but I just thought I'd mozy on over to the website, and I was totally shocked to find the sale. I guess all merchants are trying to take advantage of this weekend, considering how much they've all lost this yr, so the lesson is to check everywhere this weekend if you're even considering buying anything big.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I see stores, particularly grocery stores, here that have big signs starting there are no exceptions to the mask rule. I was sort of under the impression that claims of not being able to wear a mask were bs. Are there truly conditions that prevent a person from wearing one?
There are a few, but they are quite rare for anyone over age 2. News reports popped up during the summer after a few incidents that made headlines.

August 7, CNBC
Are there medical reasons to not wear a mask? Yes, but not many
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/what-are-medical-reasons-for-not-wearing-a-mask.html
" . . .
In stating that “few medical conditions are truly incompatible with all forms of mask wearing,” the authors [of a JAMA article from July 2020] acknowledge the existence of conditions beyond the CDC’s recommendations that may make mask-wearing difficult.

“Some individuals, particularly children, with sensory processing disorders may be unable to tolerate masks. Facial deformities that are incompatible with masking are an additional category of exemption.”"

marzNC

Angel Diva
From my experience skiing so far this season, the cold/wet combo is a real concern for *any* mask that sits on your mouth. This is especially the case because the times when you most need to have the mask on (in line at the base of the run) are when you'll be breathing the hardest. I've skied three days now with a Rothy mask that fits close over the nose and well over the chin, but has a bit of a bubble over the mouth, and it's terrific. Folks who I see in line wearing a buff often seem uncomfortable (basically breathing in the thin material). When it's warm, I just wear the Rothy with a buff around my neck that I can pull up for extra warmth. When it's cold, I wear the mask under my Turtle Fur, and can pull the fur over the mask if I'm extra cold.
For petites, the Rothy's kid's mask is on their website. Just ordered a pair. Figure that I can give them to the two tween girls I know if it's too small. But from the measurements, should be a good fit.

Width (side-to-side, not including ear loops) is 7 in / 17.9 cm.
Height (top to bottom) is 6.3 in / 15.9 cm.
Elastic ear loops are each 6 in / 15.3 cm.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Challenging first day. Our local hardware store sells n95s and we don't have a local shortage, so I did buy a few as I am high risk.

While I feel safe without one on open chairs (simple double neckgaiter), I don't in our shared gondolas. It is turning out to be a struggle getting it, the n95, on and off while dealing with helmet, poles and skis in my hands. I did not even have students in tow for the soft opening.

For a good fit the straps really do need to be around the back of my head and it can not be crushed and simply live under my neckgaiter when not in use.

Helmet on and off while it is snowing will be a pain. Wet neckgaiter or mask is inevitable within about half an hour.

Feeling a bit depressed....

Teaching is not going to be as safe as I had hoped for.
I had a similar experience at Targhee today. People walking around everywhere with no masks, or masks below their noses, on the plaza. It was a lot more difficult to have a mask on the entire time than I thought it would be, and VERY few people had on more than a thin gaiter. My husband has decided to teach again this year at Snowbasin, and I'm worried. Two gondolas and a tram, too.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
For petites, the Rothy's kid's mask is on their website. Just ordered a pair. Figure that I can give them to the two tween girls I know if it's too small. But from the measurements, should be a good fit.

Width (side-to-side, not including ear loops) is 7 in / 17.9 cm.
Height (top to bottom) is 6.3 in / 15.9 cm.
Elastic ear loops are each 6 in / 15.3 cm.
Let us petite divas know. Still haven't purchased a ski mask yet..

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant I hope he finds his solution.

3 days of 8 hrs on snow ended this p.m.

My final solution is a light covering for skiing and teaching and chairlifts where I sit with open seat next to me. N95 on shared gondola with only one other or possibly 2 guests if I sit next to open windows. My n95 froze solid between uses/lifts. Can only fit so many dry ones in my pockets.

Far from ideal.

I do really like my lighter buff like covering as it is a neck gaiter with earloops and stays off my mouth when I am talking.

Literally completely lost my voice by day 3. I guess 6 months of not talking killed my poor vocal cords. So did yelling through the fabric.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok, first day thoughts, I went ahead and got the Buff tubes with filters. Kids HATED them, didn't really fit well for my little guy (age 4, turning 5 in January). DD is 7 and big for her age, she lasted for about 5 minutes with the filter in place before it just bunched up and became annoying. She just wore it without the filter for half the day before we just switched her over to her regular ear loop mask. I think kids are hard because they wind up just chewing on their mask all day and so both their masks were soaking wet by lunchtime.

DH and I both wore them as well. DH thought the bunching of the filter was slightly annoying but liked the lightweight fabric for warmer weather skiing, he said he'll continue wearing it. No problems with fogging of the mask for him.

I kind of had the same thoughts, it was fine, but not fantastic, got wet even though I wasn't doing a lot of mouth breathing and definitely had a funky smell when I put it back on after lunch!

I'm going to try out a few other combos in the upcoming weeks. I might just wind up wearing my regular neck protector for the lift lines and pulling it up over my mouth and nose and keeping my ear loop mask in my pocket for going inside to the bathroom or to grab food.

Also, for anyone who is looking for comfortable masks, check out Jaanuu, they do have a sale on right now, soft, fits well, ear straps do not bother anyone in the family.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmmm. I bought one of those Buff filter masks, too. I'll let you know how I find it, once I get out on the snow. (Sheesh, this is the latest it's been in years.)

@gingerjess , does the Dynamax Dana mask require a filter?

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I checked out Jaanuu website...... So they look pretty good. I already have some questions about seirus evo dana as ski mostly in Tahoe and really don't want balaclava style as don't want "liner" under my helmet. It doesn't get that cold here. I like @COcanuck's idea of wearing neck gaiter and pulling up over nose. I have about 3 icebreaker ones called flexigater that would work and maybe purchase those jannuu ones she mentioned. My nose runs when outside cycling or running/walking etc and definitely when in cold weather so that will be an issue I have to deal with.
Watching this thread carefully and clicking on links to check out options....

newboots

Angel Diva
This one looks pretty good . Don't think I saw it when looking last night.

https://www.seirus.com/evo-arc-dynamax-dana

ETA: I ordered it ! Free 2 day shipping to California !

I was just going to say, Seirus makes one that goes over the head, balaclava style, and the Dana, which does not. My Dana is due to arrive shortly.

I can’t wear balaclavas under my helmet. They get down into goggle territory and mess up the interface, complicated by my glasses. I don’t need any extra problems there!

#foggyface

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly