• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Christy

Angel Diva
I just received a pair of Primal masks with the frame and filter. Really like these! The frame keeps the mask away from your mouth. There is also a filter pocket. Plus there is a combo ear loop/back of head arrangement that covers whichever seems best at a given moment plus a nose wire. This mask seems to cover all the bases. The L/XL size covers my face very well.

Have you worn it with glasses/sunglasses?

Thanks for the review @gingerjess. I just ordered a couple for me and for my husband.

I want one of these for hiking but 100% polyester? I did read that polyester is fine for blocking the virus, but what will this be like to wear?

1602274600154.png

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. Masks and glasses are always iffy, but this has a nose wire, so as long as the glasses were positioned ON the mask, not behind the mask, I was fine. I normally wear contacts, but the day I wore the mask, I was rushing and stupidly used hand santizer shortly before trying to put on my contacts. After three attempts to totally eliminate the sanitizer from my hands so I could insert the contacts without burning my eyeballs, I gave up and wore my glasses. But noses and the cut of masks are so varied I can't guarantee that others won't have issues. I've got a skinny, bony nose.

Scribble

Angel Diva
I just received a pair of Primal masks with the frame and filter. Really like these! The frame keeps the mask away from your mouth. There is also a filter pocket. Plus there is a combo ear loop/back of head arrangement that covers whichever seems best at a given moment plus a nose wire. This mask seems to cover all the bases. The L/XL size covers my face very well.
I just ordered a couple of these, I really like the design and my DH found a pattern he thinks is neat for everyday wear. Thanks for linking these, I hope they work out! I've been customizing our usual kn94 masks with surgical tape and extra wire across the nose so they wont fog up our glasses and its getting a little old. I was dreading having to do it more frequently. Fingers crossed!

I had pneumonia last year which was followed by a nasty bout with flu at the end of January, and I have asthma to boot...so I've been taking a lot of precautions to stay safe. That said, I have no intention of bowing out of skiing if the resorts stay open.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone tried all these mask combinations on with a helmet and goggles for more than 30 seconds? I did have the Oslo face mask shirt on with goggles for longer than that. Considering how hard it was to blow out a match it might be OK, enough. But otherwise? All the gear we would wear adds a few more elements of fun and frolic to this whole program!

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Has anyone tried all these mask combinations on with a helmet and goggles for more than 30 seconds? I did have the Oslo face mask shirt on with goggles for longer than that. Considering how hard it was to blow out a match it might be OK, enough. But otherwise? All the gear we would wear adds a few more elements of fun and frolic to this whole program!

Might have to give that a try! On a wash day or right before, though; going under a helmet absolutely destroys my curl pattern.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
F7EDEC7F-58FC-4605-9100-B380EE8108AF.jpeg

R was very confused to get home only to find me in full ski gear, but it meant I got the chance to fully experience the new filter tube before I overheated! I didn't notice any condensation in my goggles, even with the tube pulled up under the nosepiece, and although I was able to blow out a wand lighter a couple times when holding it very closely, I wasn't able to do so with any consistency. I feel good about this setup overall; I might order a spare pack of filters just to have, though. I have a couple of the tubes, so I can swap them out to hand wash and hang dry between days.

kiki

Angel Diva
View attachment 13835

R was very confused to get home only to find me in full ski gear, but it meant I got the chance to fully experience the new filter tube before I overheated! I didn't notice any condensation in my goggles, even with the tube pulled up under the nosepiece, and although I was able to blow out a wand lighter a couple times when holding it very closely, I wasn't able to do so with any consistency. I feel good about this setup overall; I might order a spare pack of filters just to have, though. I have a couple of the tubes, so I can swap them out to hand wash and hang dry between days.
Which filter tube was this one?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't have any issues with the size. Like I posted further up the thread, the sizing seems identical to their standard buffs, so if you have one of those, you can get a good idea of what to expect.

I just ordered one based on your recommendation. No pressure! I did order the small since I have a very small head. Goggles and a helmet have always been a problem so I’m going with that as a thought. I did measure and it looks as though the small should fit me. If not I will offer it up here for someone’s kid!

Now on to @liquidfeet’s comment on another thread about runny noses...... ! I already have puppy nose when I’m out exercising and that’s at current temperatures. I have always been the one grabbing Kleenex at the lift line. Guess that’s not going to happen this year! I had already anticipated carrying a second mask, possibly to switch to to go indoors and use the bathroom. But none of these are going to be particularly pleasant solutions!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get cold when I ski, colder than most people.

For that reason on a genuinely cold day I wear two fleece gaiters around my neck. This is in normal times, when the temps reach the 20s in ºF or lower. Higher, I wear one gaiter.

In lift lines, on lifts, and usually while skiing, I pull one of those two fleece gaiters up over my mouth and cheeks, allowing just enough room above it for my nose to be clear to breathe. This is pre-covid.

My nose drips in the cold. It drips onto the gaiters, and freezes. This is normal for a ski day in NE for me. What I do when the gaiter gets saturated with ice is shape it with my hands into a wall in front of my mouth, out from my face, not touching it. That stiff frozen wall blocks the cold wind coming at me as I ski. It holds its shape. It's a good thing.

If I'm exerting extra energy skiing, I will pull the stiff gaiter down to allow me to breathe with my mouth as well as my nose. As I do this I keep the sides up to cover my cheeks. Sometimes I wear a balaclava under my helmet that offers a thin cheek covering along with these gaiters. It's a rare warm day when I use only one gaiter and no balaclava.

I change out the fleeces at lunch. I have about 20-30 of these things I've picked up at thrift shops over the years. The ones I've used get washed every weekend. I don't consider it gross.

So as people are considering pulling up a tube over their noses and mouth, contacting both, and consider standing in lines and riding chairs like that, I wonder about the nose drip and the ice. It's not something I'd even consider doing, given my experience with the fleece gaiters. Maybe my nose drips more, or maybe my breath has more moisture in it. I don't know.

Maybe the wicking for those thin tubes will help to avoid ice build-up. I don't use those thin tubes because I've been more focused on the warmth that two layers of fleece offers.

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right. My N-95s are good as long as I don't pull them up and down too many times, rubbing them against other stuff. That won't do outside when it's 20 degrees and my nose is dripping. I'll need something else that will hold its shape when I want it to and fold up so I can tuck it out of the way, still connected to my neck/head somehow.

Christy

Angel Diva
I got the Buff gaiter (and 30 extra filters) @gingerjess recommended. I like it! Perfect for hiking. I feel a little sheepish wearing it around the city because I think a lot of people saw that "study" that said gaiters don't work, but didn't see the follow up that said that "study" wasn't a study.

I agree that it will still be tricky when skiing to do things like, blow my nose. I went to the farmers market in the rain yesterday and learned that rain + mask + glasses=complete fogging almost immediately. I guess I will have to wear contacts this ski season. This also means I'll have to go to the eye dr. which is a bummer. I wonder if I can talk him into prescribing new contacts based on my last prescription, but I think it's actually a law that the prescription has to be current.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was actually considering trying to modify it if I get one. It looks like the ties are just threaded through the sides. I was thinking I could replace the the shoe lace ties with elastic, and add a slide adjuster like they have on the kid's version. The idea being I can wear a regular buff or airhole or whatever for skiing, and let the skida one hang around my neck until I get to the lift. And if the elastic is sized long enough, I could just lift the top strap over my helmet when needed. So a thinner layer for warmth and breathability while skiing, an extra layer for when I am close to people. And if weather or snow guns take their toll on the Skida, not such a big deal since it won't be directly on my skin.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was actually considering trying to modify it if I get one. It looks like the ties are just threaded through the sides. I was thinking I could replace the the shoe lace ties with elastic, and add a slide adjuster like they have on the kid's version. The idea being I can wear a regular buff or airhole or whatever for skiing, and let the skida one hang around my neck until I get to the lift. And if the elastic is sized long enough, I could just lift the top strap over my helmet when needed. So a thinner layer for warmth and breathability while skiing, an extra layer for when I am close to people. And if weather or snow guns take their toll on the Skida, not such a big deal since it won't be directly on my skin.
Perhaps just adding cord locks to make adjustable ear loops and a piece of elastic or whatever for hanging around the neck? Or oversized ear loops and a cord lock to go around the helmet?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna