• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder how this face mask would be for skiing: https://www.seirus.com/evo-arc-masque

Anyone have any opinions about this?

I saw this ad in SKI magazine. I went to the website but didn't buy. Does this mask appear in the picture and in marketing content like it over-protrudes?

I'm on the fence because I feel overloaded with masks at present. I own the OR and Buff masks that take filters and countless disposables.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I saw this ad in SKI magazine. I went to the website but didn't buy. Does this mask appear in the picture and in marketing content like it over-protrudes?

I'm on the fence because I feel overloaded with masks at present. I own the OR and Buff masks that take filters and countless disposables.

Yes, I saw it in SKI, as well, so I was curious.

How do you like the Buff and OR masks?

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I saw it in SKI, as well, so I was curious.

How do you like the Buff and OR masks?

I like them both.

The Buff is my favorite for working out . It stays put thanks to the two straps and is very light. The downside is those same two straps can twist making putting the mask on momentarily challenging. It also lays close on the face. Because of this, I'm not certain I want to wear it under my helmet and under my neck gaiter (which is a lightweight Buff).

The OR is much thicker. I feel there's more room between my face and the mask. I would probably wear this one skiing if forced to have something under my regular Buff.

Both take filters.

Jilly

Staff member
Looks like the gloves guys are getting into the business because Swany has some too.

Christy

Angel Diva
Can anyone recommend a gaiter to use as a mask when hiking? I think I've used an actual mask for the last time. It's too much hassle to get on and off when I pass people.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm not really sure what that means, and they don't define it, but the larger question is...who cares about bacteria right now? We care about viruses. Or one virus.
Agree that dealing with bacteria is not really that relevant when it comes to decreasing the risk of spreading COVID-19 because someone is infected but has no symptoms.

Any filter will help catch small particles that SARS-CoV-2 needs to move around. So a Buff with a filter should be more effective than a buff without a filter. Same applies to any cloth mask. Three layers is better than two. Two layers with a filter pocket may be a bit more useful.

The key to remember that what really makes a difference is if all the people in a given indoor space understand how to wear a face covering correctly. A bunch of people with surgical masks not covering their noses would be worth avoiding, as compared to a bunch of people with buffs of any type over their noses who don't keep fiddling with them.

Think about what happens when someone breaths out of their nose or sneezes. Think about airflow and ventilation as much as mask usage. Think about how long you are in the same spot or building. A quick stop in an indoor restroom that's under 10 min is not going to qualify as close contact.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just received a pair of Primal masks with the frame and filter. Really like these! The frame keeps the mask away from your mouth. There is also a filter pocket. Plus there is a combo ear loop/back of head arrangement that covers whichever seems best at a given moment plus a nose wire. This mask seems to cover all the bases. The L/XL size covers my face very well.

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
I just received a pair of Primal masks with the frame and filter. Really like these! The frame keeps the mask away from your mouth. There is also a filter pocket. Plus there is a combo ear loop/back of head arrangement that covers whichever seems best at a given moment plus a nose wire. This mask seems to cover all the bases. The L/XL size covers my face very well.
That frame looks a lot better than the silicone things I’ve seen other places.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had hopes for this and it's not entirely off the table. I couldn't blow out a match the first try; a second try I could. Of course there is less than no science involved in my testing ... no measurement for how close it was. So I'm not taking it off the table. Odlo product from REI. The men's was on sale for $55; the womens (and maybe this year's mens) was $115. I got the small and it felt a little more intrusive than I want a garment. Too enclosing. This is the medium. I'm keeping it but trying to decide if I should get a second one or not. I might wait for a cooler morning and go for a trot with it on. Sorry for the image. I've rotated and re-saved three times on my laptop and it still comes out sideways here. I'm not invested enough to win the war with it!!!

Attachments

• mask1.jpg
    mask1.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 33

gingerjess

Angel Diva
My Buff Filter Tubes arrived today! Honestly, if you've worn a buff before, you know pretty much exactly what to expect. The sole differences are that there's a hexagonal filter pocket sewn to the interior front-top of the tube, which is large enough to cover my (substantial) nose and mouth, and that the top of the tube is folded over and hemmed, as compared to the raw edges typical of most buffs (as well as the edge on the other end of the tube). I do suspect that the hem might make for a snugger and more consistent fit over the nose and around the cheeks.

The filter pocket on its own doesn't affect breathability, as it's a loose mesh, and I don't want to burn a filter testing things out (they only come with five disposable single-day filters each, although you can order packets of 30 replacements), so I haven't tried one yet. The tube comes with an informational booklet about filter performance and guidance on wear, and states that the filter meets Type Ia and Type II classifications for bacterial filtration and breathability. Based on other products I can find with those classifications, I expect breathability and filtration performance to both be similar to a standard surgical mask.

While regular buffs hold up to machine washing/drying fine, I do suspect that the filter pocket on these might be a bit more delicate, so I'll probably machine wash and hang to dry.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Buff Filter Tubes arrived today! Honestly, if you've worn a buff before, you know pretty much exactly what to expect. The sole differences are that there's a hexagonal filter pocket sewn to the interior front-top of the tube, which is large enough to cover my (substantial) nose and mouth, and that the top of the tube is folded over and hemmed, as compared to the raw edges typical of most buffs (as well as the edge on the other end of the tube). I do suspect that the hem might make for a snugger and more consistent fit over the nose and around the cheeks.

The filter pocket on its own doesn't affect breathability, as it's a loose mesh, and I don't want to burn a filter testing things out (they only come with five disposable single-day filters each, although you can order packets of 30 replacements), so I haven't tried one yet. The tube comes with an informational booklet about filter performance and guidance on wear, and states that the filter meets Type Ia and Type II classifications for bacterial filtration and breathability. Based on other products I can find with those classifications, I expect breathability and filtration performance to both be similar to a standard surgical mask.

While regular buffs hold up to machine washing/drying fine, I do suspect that the filter pocket on these might be a bit more delicate, so I'll probably machine wash and hang to dry.

Thank you for being the test case! My question, especially based on what I tried yesterday, is: can you breathe enough air out to blow out a match or a candle? That is one of the suggested levels to test whether or not a mask or filter or buff or whatever is sufficient to protect others and consequently ourselves. I really do appreciate your buying the first one!

MissySki

Angel Diva

What size did you get? Is this the one that comes in 2 sizes? I think I need a kid size because every one I've ever tries slides right down my nose..

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This looks like a nice product - I really like the neck strap, and the different sizes; those of us with small faces find that many masks are just too big, and block vision, as well as hanging below the chin. Has anyone tried any masks under real conditions, i.e., while exercising? I'm wondering how they'll handle heavy, moist breathing through them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly