• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mashed potatoes

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anybody have some advice on how to help beginner/intermediate skiers handle the thick, wet spring snow?
I have a friend who made great progress learning to ski parallel this winter, but with the difficult spring conditions, she goes back to her comfort zone of wedging. She couldn't make it through a run without her legs cramping up and it kills me that her last day of the season was also her least favorite.
I learned to handle spring snow by pretending not to be miserable for several years and eventually buying wider skis, but "tough it out and spend a lot of money" isn't the most helpful advice

Christy

Angel Diva
Ahh, bad mashed potatoes...aka leg breaker snow...

I'm sure you'll get some responses that have some practical tips. My own feeling, though, is why? She's miserable, in physical pain, and risking injury. If she is a low-level skier then she's probably on the flatter, lower slopes where it's just going to be awful. It's probably not like that the whole day, right? Why not just ski in the morning then stop before it gets really bad? Or, maybe there is better snow somewhere else on the mountain (I know if you are skiing a very small hill that might not be the case).

This is assuming it's really bad, which it sounds to me is what you are describing, not just run-of-the-mill heavier snow.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have just needed to have a shorter day. We have to get to Killington early to avoid a 2-Mile hike (they decided to run the shuttle again after yesterday’s disastrous parking situation). My legs were done by 1:30 and today they were tired by 11. (Actually, they were tired on the first run at 8:15 but I toughed it out.). I’m not conscious of having to work harder but apparently I am! So I took lots of breaks and knocked off around 11:30.

Having a season pass helps if you come up and can’t take too many runs. Also, firmer early in the morning, of course.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, pre-planning seems to be important for these days. We did a day trip with a 4 hour drive each way, which meant missing the early morning firm snow. And yes, I underestimated how awful the conditions would get on the lower mountain greens. We had found some nice trails at the top that we both really enjoyed, and it was actually the last trail leading into the lift that caused the most headaches. We were at okemo, which is my favorite hill, but for those familiar with the mountain the trail was lower arrow. There is pretty much no other way back down to the lift so every skier has to ski it on every run unless you come off a black diamond. And for what it's worth, my friend did opt for a glass of Pinot and some live outdoor music at the lodge after a few runs while I stayed out. I'm actually a little jealous that I missed that!

newboots

Angel Diva
I remember last year when I first encountered spring snow. It kept grabbing my skis and my bindings released. (This is when I realized that my bindings were releasing early, which my BF had been telling me for awhile.) When I fell (often), I got soaked. The things I had learned about how to ski didn't quite work any more. I was so lucky to have a season pass, so I could sit in the bar while he took runs without me.

It's better this year!

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, I wanted to add. . . I was also frustrated that my last ski days of the year, the famed "spring snow," was such a bummer. But everything was a challenge, last year. I knew it would get better.

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh, I wanted to add. . . I was also frustrated that my last ski days of the year, the famed "spring snow," was such a bummer.

I think it's more like, famed spring skiing. Where you get to sleep in to let the runs thaw, and then you get a few (maybe) hours of nice conditions, you get to sit outside in the sun at lunch, then you get to sit outside in the sun after skiing and have a beer or whatnot. It's light later and it's a little warmer, so you don't have dark freezing walks to dinner.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thick, mushy snow is tough for everyone! A few words of advice, though:

1) Wax your skis! Warm weather wax is your friend and can really help.

2) Wider skis are better. But you already knew that, @MilkyWookiee .

3) Keep your legs soft -- you want to be able to absorb surface variations -- and remember to open and close (flex) your ankles!

4) Commit! Like powder skiing, a straighter line is better.

5) When it gets too ugly, call it a day. And along those same lines.....

6) .....Start your ski day early, before it gets too slushy.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
@Christy - that makes sense! I ski with a bunch of fanatics, who also love this snow, but I can totally sign on to "spring skiing!" I actually enjoyed the runs that were between hard-frozen icy corduroy and slush that made your boots wet. But yes, definitely find the sweet spot!

@ski diva - I wondered why people were using fat skis! Aha!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well yeah way easier with wider skis......:smile:
I did a direct comparison of rented skis at Powder Mountain last season when the temperatures were in the 50s by lunch time. First day I rented regular skis, some carvers that were mid-70s underfoot. Was not having a good time at all. The next day I paid a bit more for the Performance (not Demo) category and was on the Solomon Myriad QST 85 @153cm. Did much better in the soft snow and I had a bit more confidence when the snow was sticky on flatter terrain. I was doing everything possible to stay on edge by carving or doing railroad tracks properly.

When I rented the QST skis, the tech pulled out some paste wax and applied it before I took them out. I ended up buying a can (small so easy to carry around). Used it this season at Alta a few times during a warm spell. Worked pretty well even when I applied it in a hurry. Best test was for my friend's son's rental skis that really needed waxing. He could easily tell the difference.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keys to skiing slush-

1. Stand on the front of your heel. Note: I am not staying your weight should be back but if you are too far forward your tips will get stuck.

2. Slow weight transfer. If you transfer the weight to the new outside ski all at once, you will be in for a rough ride. Lengthen the outside leg while shortening the new inside leg progressively. Slightly narrower stance can help as well.

3. To the extent you can, ignore the feelings of resistance and just go! It will feel different but focusing on that just makes us revert to defensive movements. Yes, some of it is in our heads!

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woah! So many great tips here, thank you everyone! As painful as it can be skiing these conditions I actually like the challenge. I'm also eternally grateful that skis today are wider and lighter! Definitely agree that sometimes the hardest part is trusting our bodies and skis to do what we (should) know they can.

Jilly

Staff member
I mentioned to a friend on Sunday....remind me next year NOT to take the 95's home early. It was OK with my slalom race skis. I'm with Ski Diva...when the going gets real tough...apres time!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly