• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

March 18 earthquake in SLC Utah, magnitude 5.7

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I about crapped my pants. I was sitting on the couch with my daughter and immediately knew what was happening, having lived through a few earthquakes in CA. We've had some decent aftershocks since, which are not fun!

MissySki

Angel Diva
My company’s CEO is working from home in the Salt Lake area, he usually goes there on weekends from Cambridge as his wife lives there full time. Anyway, we were all on a Zoom video conference this morning and he was telling us aftershocks were happening right then and he was running on a generator etc.

We are truly seeming to be living in the twilight zone.. what else can go wrong? Wait, don’t answer that!!

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A good friend of mine (who also happens to be @dloveski's brother), was supposed to fly home this morning to Boston, but couldn't get out because of the earthquake. I guess it was centered right near the airport. Crazy!

marzNC

Angel Diva
A good friend of mine (who also happens to be @dloveski's brother), was supposed to fly home this morning to Boston, but couldn't get out because of the earthquake. I guess it was centered right near the airport. Crazy!
From what I remember of what was in the article in Post #1 earlier today, they evacuated the airport and FAA offices just in case. Mainly because of the expected aftershocks I would guess. Apparently re-opened by some time this afternoon.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it was very near the airport.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently the earth quake caused a water main break in the D concourse. Scared the crap out of me this morning. Woke all of us up! Kids were super freaked. On top of this coronavir us. Stuff it been a challenging day.

altagirl

Staff member
I didn't even check in here yesterday, sorry! . I was also working from home during the initial quake and the big aftershock (was on a conference call for that one). I know it's no big deal for Californians, but it's traumatic here. Biggest one in the county in almost 60 years. We do have a fault line, so a big earthquake is something we plan for but it's... conceptual almost. I've only ever felt tiny earthquakes... there type where you need to confirm if it really happened. This? Yikes. Just the sound was horrendous. It was raining, and at first I though it was thunder. A deep, rolling growl that shook the house, but it just grew and grew until the house was weaving back and forth and I was feeling seasick, and it's like you could hear the earth grinding and shifting On the news they said it lasted 30 seconds.

Thankfully no damage that we can see at my house, just some things rattled off shelves. But yeah, water main break at the airport, building facades near the epicenter crumbled, Broken windows downtown. Friends who live closer have bigger messes to clean up. And then there were 96 aftershocks as of last night when I went to bed. One was sizable. Locals are
pretty traumatized. You don't know for sure what is going to collapse or be damaged, and they were saying on the news that there was a slightly elevated chance that was a fore shock and the big one we all worry about here could happen now, so the rumor mill and a few town alert systems were saying to move a car out of the garage, have your go bags and supplies ready, etc. Hah, WHILE we are being advised to avoid all unnecessary contact with others and stay home. And then these news showed the unexplained plume coming from Kennicott (mining facility) and said it was from an unspecified chemical spill rising into the air. "Don't worry, looks like it's blowing north, away from the city, whatever it is... The National Guard is there to evaluate." Yes, don't worry indeed. Sounds like it was an acid spill and they claim harmless, but that added no small amount of stress, personally.

Anyway, stressful day to say the least.

Plus... Thor, Alice, and Captain America were all down for the count. Evil-lyn took a plunge off the cliff. Noooooooo...... :rotf::rotf:

20200318_073929_copy_2016x1512.jpg20200318_073923_copy_2016x1512.jpg20200318_073857_copy_2016x1512.jpg

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Utah State public health office was closed yesterday as the building sustained damage. Hard for staff to coordinate and test when the building is closed. I am assuming it is back up and running as I did not see anything about it.

UtahDesert

Certified Ski Diva
We were woken up by the quake. My husband says I sat up and just started laughing. That's probably right.

I was south of San Francisco for Loma Prieta. I was in my apartment in Stanford graduate student housing, the eleventh floor, I think. I'd felt earthquakes before, but that was the first time I realized, "Oh, this might not stop. Things might start coming apart--it doesn't have to stop." This one in Salt Lake didn't go on that long, but it was long enough for me to go through that thought. (The laughing must have come after it stopped.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly