• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mammoth / June Mountain 16/17

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I figured it was time to start this season's thread.

Mammoth has had several big storms, which unfortunately have been pretty warm. So there's been a lot of snow from McCoy Station to the Top, a lot less below McCoy Station.

Our last trip was four days over the first weekend of December. The open chairs were 1.2.3.4.5,6.10,11,23,G1,G2. The groomers were in great shape. The Mammoth Wind Machine was quite active, so there was a lot of wind buff in the ungroomed. Those skiing off piste reported fun snow and the occasional base gouge. DH and I considered that 3-4 additional feet would entice us off the groomers. The groomers were decently covered, with some random loose rocks and icy patches due to the wind.

Saturday and Sunday morning were pretty crowded, given the available terrain. This led us to make a vow that we would drive up on Saturdays, ski Sunday afternoons and mid-weeks only. We'll see if we stick to that vow.

This last storm was rainy, snowy, snowy, rainy, snowy, and constantly windy. The latest report is that they got a 1-2' of snow overnight. They say that they are ready to open Canyon Lodge this week. I have no idea what conditions are like but will be following the Eastern Sierra Forum for the reports by those who were up this weekend. Based on what I read this morning, there's a lot of ice beneath the fresh powder. Grooming should improve the groomers, being skied and packed down should improve the ungroomed, more snow will improve everything. I'm no expert but it sounds like there will be some avalanche danger for a while.

There is supposed to be another series of storms this week, possibly colder. We'll have to wait and see and keep doing our SNOW dances. A couple of feet of SNOW before Christmas would make for a great Holiday season.

Let's keep this thread updated for the best Mammoth reporting on the planet!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly