• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Mammoth Instructor

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Some women friends of mine are going to Mammoth and would like to take lessons. Any recommendations for how to get a good instructor there? They had very “mixed” experiences with instructors last year at JH and I thought there must be a better way to guide them towards a good experience. I guess they could request someone? Any ideas from our Mammoth skiers? All help is appreciated!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Tennessee, they may have mixed experiences at Mammoth also.
A bit more info would help -- what leveler they skiing? Are they going to be their mid week?
Will they be in group or private lessons?
They will have a better chance of working with a 3L (female or male) during the weekday. Unfortunately as I've posted before, on the weekends the good instructors are taken up by those who wish to pay $$$ for privates. I can pm you with more info/ contacts.

Also paging @Sparky as she and MR Sparky have done some of the camps and worked with different instructors.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
They are upper intermediate skiers. Can ski blacks but prefer to stay on blues. They will be there for a little over a full week, 3/3 - 3/11. They will probably want group lessons but might be willing to shell out the $$$ for a private if there could be a much better reward. Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
They are upper intermediate skiers. Can ski blacks but prefer to stay on blues. They will be there for a little over a full week, 3/3 - 3/11. They will probably want group lessons but might be willing to shell out the $$$ for a private if there could be a much better reward. Thanks!
I've found that a semi-private lesson with a recommended instructor for 2-3 hours can be very effective for 2-3 people who know each other. The very experienced instructors (15+ years experience) can make it like parallel private lessons. I just had a lesson with a total of 4 people, 2 adults and 2 tweens. We worked with the resident Examiner at a small mountain. He found a few drills that we could all do and he gave each of us different things to focus on.

That said, I've had friends who are intermediates end up with very experienced instructors (L3, 20+ years experience) at Alta when doing midweek group lessons.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Renee McCormack is a very fun, engaging, and experienced instructor. She can be requested when reserving lessons through Mammoth or contacted through her LinkedIn profile.
One of my mammoth friends has mentioned a Renee (don’t know last name) and I wonder if it’s the same, but she says she’s very good. I’ve probably had 4-5 different instructors over the last several years and the one that stands out is Megan Jones. I had her for a 3 day women’s camp 3-4 years ago and I loved her! She had been with Mammoth for many years but I don’t believe she’s there full time anymore and last I heard she only does privates so perhaps you can call the school and ask if she’s available.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
One of my mammoth friends has mentioned a Renee (don’t know last name) and I wonder if it’s the same, but she says she’s very good. I’ve probably had 4-5 different instructors over the last several years and the one that stands out is Megan Jones. I had her for a 3 day women’s camp 3-4 years ago and I loved her! She had been with Mammoth for many years but I don’t believe she’s there full time anymore and last I heard she only does privates so perhaps you can call the school and ask if she’s available.

I have taken several women's camps at Mammoth and have enjoyed them all. The instructors have been very good.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Thanks Jilly! We have a month before they will be there, so let me know if you get in touch. And if she likes the idea of teaching two "older" (59 and 62 yo) women who have skied for years but have only taken one lesson between them! They are fun loving but very serious about improving their skiing. I appreciate your help :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna